• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 General Discussion

Quite a few duds in there. 1986, 1990, 1995, 1997, 1999 :yikes:

As you said about the early years, I believe that the WSR-88D's were installed in the mid to late '90's, with correlates with the increase in warnings. I'm thinking IWX was around '98, not sure about IND.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know how many warnings we average but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit higher.  I can look it up and get back to you.

http://addins.wrex.com/blogs/weather/2014/04/there-are-525948-minutes-in-a-year-how-many-are-spent-in-a-weather-warning

This was something done on a Rockford news station blog a little while back. Most of the maps are normalized by county area but it's still worth a look. Kind of easy to see where some offices are more lenient than others on issuing warnings. Particularly with flash floods differences in offices seem to stand out a bit, with LOT issuing a lot more warnings than surrounding CWAs

Been pretty quiet around here for several weeks now.  Hoping the last half of August brings more action.  Went from feast to famine.  With things drying out so much I wouldn't be surprised to see some impressive late season heat work itself in here at some point.  Pattern has been horrific for heat, which is nice after the last few summers.  With things drying out so much the past several weeks any heat dome that can work itself into this area could easily over perform. 

Went up to the Palisades north of Savanna last evening and took some pics.  Always loved that area up there.

c3q11.jpg

256wn44.jpg

108e1au.jpg

nmxd6w.jpg

2ykhkz6.jpg

11c6ujr.jpg

ncm6aw.jpg

Been pretty quiet around here for several weeks now.  Hoping the last half of August brings more action.  Went from feast to famine.  With things drying out so much I wouldn't be surprised to see some impressive late season heat work itself in here at some point.  Pattern has been horrific for heat, which is nice after the last few summers.  With things drying out so much the past several weeks any heat dome that can work itself into this area could easily over perform. 

Went up to the Palisades north of Savanna last evening and took some pics.  Always loved that area up there.

Great pics.  That first shot, you wouldn't even know you're in Illinois.  Almost looks like some sort of tropical place.

You're rollin'.

Reminds me that I need to get my ass out and do some shoots.

It seems like long time since I've been to Mississippi Palisades and I almost forgot about it, reminds me of Wyalusing State Park in Wisconsin.  Palisades would be great since I've been looking for a place in Illinois to go camping with some friends and be able to take a boat out, but very few of the state parks allow booze which is a no go for camping. 

Great pics.  That first shot, you wouldn't even know you're in Illinois.  Almost looks like some sort of tropical place.

Thanks.  Yeah there's an interesting mix of tree species up there.  Lots of conifers up there on the bluffs, but also some old hardwoods as well.  Seemed to be plenty of Walnut trees in the park too. 

You're rollin'.

Reminds me that I need to get my ass out and do some shoots.

Thanks.  Hopefully we can get some lightning ops sometime soon.  Been chomping at the bit for weeks for that but the weather pattern has been rather meager in that department lately lol. 

Much appreciated rainfall here in the past 24 hours. 

Golf course I played yesterday, in Battle Ground which is north of LAF, was completely soaked. Surprised they sent us out really...but I'm guessing they didn't want to give everyone their money back. :lol:

Great photos. Really nice. :)

joel those are some really terrific photos. You have a real eye for nature composition...a very rare talent indeed! Keep posting them! 

^Thanks guys.

Picked up 0.02" here sometime late last night.  A real gully washer lol.  Grass is pretty fried looking out there.  Went from mowing about every 5-6 days to not having to in over 3 weeks.  The mosquito problem we had is now completely gone.

Pretty good downpour here currently.

On another note, I got a new weather station last week...and Hoosier will pleased to know that it's reading* a 71º dewpoint right now, 1º higher than LAF. 

*never mind that's a relatively cheap station, and not properly sited...but dewpoint readings are dewpoint readings. :D

Archived