• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
August 2014 General Discussion

Yeah, little to no wind is good. Especially where I play in league on Mondays. Course has been in top notch shape with this tame summer. Firmer fairways would be nice, but beggars...

Been playing a lot lately. Shot a 78 on Wednesday. Greens were quite soft with a lot of rain a days before so could go at flags. Usually can't around here in August.

Couldn't ask for a better forecast tomorrow.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been playing a lot lately. Shot a 78 on Wednesday. Greens were quite soft with a lot of rain a days before so could go at flags. Usually can't around here in August.

Couldn't ask for a better forecast tomorrow.

The beautiful weather is adding insult to injury. I had a woman take a left turn directly in front of me in early July, totaling my car and tearing my rotator cuff. Most beautiful golf weather we have had in some time, and I get to enjoy it as I walk in and out of the physical therapy building...

Dew point up to 71F...  can't go outside unless i wear a gas mask because of ragweed.  Hope we get a good downpour later this afternoon to wash this crap out.  Nasty thing year.    I don't look forward to winter, but at least we can say bye bye to biting flies, mosquitoes, allergies. 

It's funny the ragweed hasn't been that bad over this way and neither has the mosquitoes. Usually my allerigies are pretty bad at this time. But not now at least!

Hanging in the mid 70s here up near the lake in Racine. Plenty of sunshine.

Wow...rain everywhere around me, but just a few drops here...not enough to get the pavement wet...hit 89F here this afternoon... 

Ragweed usually peaks here pretty quickly and falls off quickly...so hopefully it lets up soon...all this rain around should wash a lot of it out of the air.  Its been bad, worse then i can remember ...as of late.

DTW snuck out a positive on August 2nd, so our consecutive streak isnt as impressive...however...since July 15th.....or 33 days (and likely 34 today), DTW has had just TWO above normal days (July 22 & Aug 2). Anyway you slice it...and impressive stretch.'=

DETROIT

Since July 15th...

Above Normal...2 days

Exactly Normal..3 days

Below Normal..28 days

Since July 1st

Above Normal...7 days

Exactly Normal..5 days

Below Normal..35 days

Of course...who can forget our historic winter? The snow was probably a bigger story...but the cold....38 of the 90 days were -10F departures OR COLDER. Obviously, winter is prone to much greater temp departures (both + and -) than summer. In the end, 62 days were below normal, 24 above normal, and 4 exactly normal.

2014 CALENDAR YEAR....January 1st - August 16th....

Above Normal....71 days

Exactly Normal...13 days

Below Normal...144 days

Detroit still managed negative temp departures yesterday and today...so updating...

Since July 15th...

Above Normal...2 days

Exactly Normal..3 days

Below Normal..30 days

Since July 1st

Above Normal...7 days

Exactly Normal..5 days

Below Normal..37 days

This looks to come to an end this week, though Im still not sure if Detroit has anymore 90s in their future in 2014. We had two days of 90 this year, and neither was that humid. We have not had a single honest to goodness hot, humid day all summer. Not a single one. And hardly any summer haze this year. So Im thinking the increasing humidity this weekend will make for the most uncomfortable days of the entire year, even if its only in the mid-80s. (I would say some mid-upper 80s in late June were so far the most uncomfortable days of the summer).

drudgesiren.gif

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140819/wicker-park/chicagos-cool-summer-make-way-for-chilly-fall-meteorologist-says

Ricky Castro, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, said Chicagoans are "absolutely right" to feel the summer is a bit on the cool side.

"July was well below normal," Castro said. "It was actually one of the coolest Julys in recent times."

Like cyclone, we continue to get missed by every possible rain event.  Our last good rain was July 12th.  My gauge has collected 0.08" over the last four weeks.  There's a shot at storms Wednesday night, but it's possible the building warm dome keeps them north.  It seems likely our 90-less summer is about to end.

POPs just bumped up to likely today....didn't end up with anything last night.

75/70 currently for the first walk of the new school year

I think we see initiation right overhead for those in the southern CWA but looks like a no-go north of I88 and maybe as far south as I80

Yeah i was thinking nothing for my local based on trends to my south and west....but the initiation over the lake is intriguing.....pwats trying to hold on in a narrow ribbon between the 2 areas. As you said, overhead initiaion is prolly likely for me down here.

Of note, this feels like the first time in awhile that there is actually movement within a warm moist sector (imby)...the last month has been stagnant when DPs creeped up. Its nice to see some decent motion in the low and mid levels.

Edit: and RC....nice to see your "Chiberia" still making the rounds!

Like cyclone, we continue to get missed by every possible rain event.  Our last good rain was July 12th.  My gauge has collected 0.08" over the last four weeks.  There's a shot at storms Wednesday night, but it's possible the building warm dome keeps them north.  It seems likely our 90-less summer is about to end.

Ervin from DVN was mentioning on fb that we may be seeing one of the driest 4 week stretches of weather during the summer in a long time if the rains later this week miss again.

Hit 87 here today.  Gusty west breeze made it feel cooler than that. 

From the DVN fb page.

10509742_697581410322377_170246968999173

Dayton is currently still on target for the earliest final 90-degree day ever as of today. Unless temperatures luckily overachieve enough for another chance at 90 at least one of the days later this week, there are great concerns that the warmup by next weekend won't really cut it. We'll have to watch this closely through the end of next weekend.

Top 5 Earliest Last 90-degree Days on Record:

1. June 23, 2014 (as of August 17, 2014)

2. July 8, 1971 (record)

3. July 13, 1981

4. July 26, 1967

5. July 28, 1921

Temperatures overachieved at 90 degrees today. Forecasted highs were the mid-80s. The all-time earliest last 90 on record is finally safe! Today marks as the 4th 90 degree day of this year.

Archived