wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see you guys getting the light show...that was absolutely prolific up here. Best lightning in a long time, probably best storm of the summer so far overall personally.

For those missing out:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=72XQU7jZIY2gyASchoH4CA&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DBdhhUAZHNi8&cd=1&ved=0CCUQyCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNEwOd7XoIbNrlvJ6_NIcN_V98J7FA&sig2=uBzIKi38aAzXzANtG4IETw

I kind of wonder exactly why +CGs always seem so much louder than other strikes. Is it as simple as the fact that they have a greater discharge is a shorter amount of time, creating a greater amount of heat for a shorter time, I wonder?

I would think maybe they produce hotter temperatures, therefore, leading to an even larger temperature gradient between the bolt and the surrounding air?

Surprised that the meso discussion says only a 40% chance of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch.  I would think higher chance than that

7/15 MCD with 60% chance of watch. No watch resulted. 28 combined warnings for GYX, and a tornado and significant microburst.

7/23 MCD with 40% chance of watch. Entire CWA ends up in a watch. 9 combined warnings for GYX.

I think sometimes SPC just tosses their hands up when it comes to New England severe.

So we got a call from local LEOs up in NH, about a 2 mile swath of trees down near the Starks/Stratford line. Now we don't quite know whether that's long or wide.

Interesting radar around that area earlier today.

post-44-0-74473100-1406183629_thumb.png

post-44-0-22249300-1406183638_thumb.png

Not the strongest meso in the world, but it had height continuity. Between these two scans the 50 dBZ core height jumped nearly 10 kft.

??? They mean severe. You seem to be of the belief SNE won't see thunderstorms

nadda here near BOS

Couple pix from Concord as some storms passed by to the North about 30 mins ago.

storm1.jpg

storm2.jpg

not many cars in that market basket parking lot lol

Archived