wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was a ghost town down there, that plaza is usually packed at that time too.

Waterspout on Winnipesaukee this morning.. Some pix from WMUR viewers

Looks non-tornadic, I can't see any clues of a larger circulation, and its rather skinny as well. Plus, the aftermath of cold fronts (warm water and some cu) is especially conducive to fair weather spouts. Radar images from that time can give the final say, however. Gorgeous images, lucky people up there. Thanks for sharing!

Is Sunday-Tuesday threat for all of New England or just NNE?

So far its a maybe on the threat, lot of uncertainty and model differences today. The GFS, which is the main event pusher, has central and southern regions under fire sunday, then the second wave moves in on all areas Monday eve into Tuesday morning. Sunday looks best of those, to me. If an eml event dies occur, it would certainly be more impressive looking than the last two. I'm not to confident on it though, feels a bit off based on what we've had the past few times. I think the mid Atlantic might be the area that gets hit best.

Looks non-tornadic, I can't see any clues of a larger circulation, and its rather skinny as well. Plus, the aftermath of cold fronts (warm water and some cu) is especially conducive to fair weather spouts. Radar images from that time can give the final say, however. Gorgeous images, lucky people up there. Thanks for sharing!

Doesn't matter for verification however. If it touches the lake surface for even a second we've missed a "tornado." This is because the lake itself is actually considered to be a land zone. If it were a marine zone it would be a different story.

Between Winnipesaukee and Sebago we've had at least 5 such events in the past two warm seasons alone.

As for the radar, I'm not even sure you would be able to see anything. It's quite probable there was no shower involved, and just formed under a parent cumulus cloud.

Doesn't matter for verification however. If it touches the lake surface for even a second we've missed a "tornado." This is because the lake itself is actually considered to be a land zone. If it were a marine zone it would be a different story.

Between Winnipesaukee and Sebago we've had at least 5 such events in the past two warm seasons alone.

As for the radar, I'm not even sure you would be able to see anything. It's quite probable there was no shower involved, and just formed under a parent cumulus cloud.

Sneaky area for tornadoes up there.  I recall one (could have been a microburst) that hit the south end of Woods Pond in Bridgton several years back.

I never knew that, that really sucks. Only way you'd ever find out about it is if someone saw it. Weird world.

Hmm you don't do that though in the winter right?

Hmm you don't do that for cold air funnels in the winter right?

Lake Champlain seems to get more of those...a few instances in the past 5 years of winter-time lake funnels.  I'm not even sure what you would call it (cold air funnels?)...is it a waterspout in the winter?  Same with Lake Ontario, seems those things pop up in the fall and early winter sometimes during lake effect events.

Lake Champlain seems to get more of those...a few instances in the past 5 years of winter-time lake funnels. I'm not even sure what you would call it (cold air funnels?)...is it a waterspout in the winter? Same with Lake Ontario, seems those things pop up in the fall and early winter sometimes during lake effect events.

I don't think that would be a cold air funnel, those form in very particular setups (check out this NWS link http://www.erh.noaa.gov/iln/Gallery/Thunderstorms/storm16.html) and are high level circulations, it sounds like what you are describing is the more traditional warm water fair weather spout. Warm water is a heat source, if any sort of rising air passes over it and encounters turbulence, that turbulence can be stretched into the updraft and form the vortex. Ground up style is technically non-tornadic, though still dangerous and evidently counted as a tornado event.

Lake Champlain seems to get more of those...a few instances in the past 5 years of winter-time lake funnels.  I'm not even sure what you would call it (cold air funnels?)...is it a waterspout in the winter?  Same with Lake Ontario, seems those things pop up in the fall and early winter sometimes during lake effect events.

I don't think that would be a cold air funnel, those form in very particular setups (check out this NWS link http://www.erh.noaa.gov/iln/Gallery/Thunderstorms/storm16.html) and are high level circulations, it sounds like what you are describing is the more traditional warm water fair weather spout. Warm water is a heat source, if any sort of rising air passes over it and encounters turbulence, that turbulence can be stretched into the updraft and form the vortex. Ground up style is technically non-tornadic, though still dangerous and evidently counted as a tornado event.

Yeah Lake Champlain gets its fair share of winter time waterspouts when the lake is unfrozen and the cold air sinks southward creating a load of instability. But we certainly don't count them as tornadoes.

https://twitter.com/NWSBurlington/status/426383193516679168

BerRQWQCIAAqJY5.png

Archived