• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

45 yest with just enough sun to call it a partly cloudy day. 43 today with zero sun, and once again (like last eve) some sprinkles about 9 PM. 5" of wet stuff remains, and I found that several deer have been bedding in a couple places on the woodlot, one spot only 100 yards from the front door, the other 50-60 yards from my favorite "deer-awaiting" stump.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lost much of my snowcoverup here at 1100 feet. Down below at Newfound Lake level 600 feet below me there is much more snow. I have been about the inversion the last 2 days with significantly higher temperaturesthan in the valleys.. At least the deer and other animals have lots of ground showing so they can feed. A bobcat has been hanging around my Guinea Hens the last few days. He got one last week but guess he has to eat too.

Gene

post-268-0-37106400-1293991480.jpg

I have lost much of my snowcoverup here at 1100 feet. Down below at Newfound Lake level 600 feet below me there is much more snow. I have been about the inversion the last 2 days with significantly higher temperaturesthan in the valleys.. At least the deer and other animals have lots of ground showing so they can feed. A bobcat has been hanging around my Guinea Hens the last few days. He got one last week but guess he has to eat too.

Gene

Yeah...we have a lot more snow than that here, but I haven't measured the depth yet. No bare spots though. It's 38.3F now and we've been in the 30s most of the day.

It's looking good for this weekend for a possibly large event...especially eastern sections. Had to laugh at today's Euro run dropping a 4" QPF spec on SW ME.

Yeah...we have a lot more snow than that here, but I haven't measured the depth yet. No bare spots though. It's 38.5F now and we've been in the 30s most of the day.

It's looking good for this weekend for a possibly large event...especially eastern sections. Had to laugh at today's Euro run dropping a 4" QPF spec on SW ME.

Nothing funny about that Euro run. In fact, Mt Holly would declare it "frightening".

Yeah...we have a lot more snow than that here, but I haven't measured the depth yet. No bare spots though. It's 38.3F now and we've been in the 30s most of the day.

then you woke up from a dream.:guitar:

It sure did, Roads were slick this am, As well as my 150' driveway........... :arrowhead:

How about a 1700' one? ;)

Anyhoo, finally went <32 last evening around dark sometime and the air dried out nicely. Had a trace of snow overnight and there's a glaciated 4" left on the ground after the thaw.

Lookin' at clippery system tomorrow.... A 1-3"/2-4" fluffy event would be nice to freshen things up again.

It started snowing at the house last night around 9:00 P.M., quite lightly with flakes in the 2 to 3 mm range. We did manage to pick up 0.1 inches of snow, and I saw similar small amounts of snow scattered around some roads in the center of Waterbury. That will go down as the first accumulating snow of 2011 at our location. The temperature had been above freezing a lot over the weekend, and the snowpack experienced about 4 inches of settling/melting. As of this morning’s 6:00 A.M. CoCoRaHS report, the snowpack depth at the back yard stake was 4.5 inches, and the temperature was 24.8 F

December 31st is a nice break point to take a look at how the season has gone so far in terms of snowfall. We picked up 46.0 inches of snow this December, which is actually right around the average (44.7 inches) that I have calculated starting in the ’06-’07 season. However, because November snowfall was so lean, snowfall through December 31st is still below average (currently 49.5 inches vs. mean = 55.3 inches) and we are well behind the ’07-’08 La Nina year, which had seen 86.0 inches by December 31st.

Burlington has done reasonably well in terms of snowfall, with 27.9 inches for December, and when we were at my parent’s place in South Burlington over Christmas they had about 8 inches on the ground. However, looking outside here at UVM, there is no snowpack at all; the only signs of snow are a few leftover snowbanks, so it must have been quite warm in the Champlain Valley.

I haven’t seen much for snowfall in the mountains today, but I can see some light snow crashing out now on Mt. Mansfield as well as Bolton Mountain.

Where are the Mainiacs at this hour? ME is getting some decent snow from BGR to MLT. Lots of SN/+SN obs.

Not many members from CAR CWA, and they're probably all sleeping at 2 AM. :devilsmiley:

Just a trace this AM IMBY, with 4" snowpack hanging tough. The cocorahs obs from Sidney was 1.0", but where Rt 27 passes thru the town there was maybe 0.3". My commute was 90 min later than usual (oil change/inspection) and roads were well treated - and grimy/salty - when I came thru. Good to get back toward winter temps after 3 days of +15F departures.

Anyone believe the 963 mb weekend bomb on 12z gfs?

Where are the Mainiacs at this hour? ME is getting some decent snow from BGR to MLT. Lots of SN/+SN obs.

Not many members from CAR CWA, and they're probably all sleeping at 2 AM. :devilsmiley:

Just a trace this AM IMBY, with 4" snowpack hanging tough. The cocorahs obs from Sidney was 1.0", but where Rt 27 passes thru the town there was maybe 0.3". My commute was 90 min later than usual (oil change/inspection) and roads were well treated - and grimy/salty - when I came thru. Good to get back toward winter temps after 3 days of +15F departures.

Anyone believe the 963 mb weekend bomb on 12z gfs?

No, But high 70 to mid 80 one maybe........... :thumbsup:

Was down in Mass watching the Pats final game and came home to a nice surprise 2 or so new inches on the ground this morning. Couldn't have asked for better weather to watch a football game in January, aside from the few showers that disrupted tailgaiting festivities. Friday certainly looks interesting. :snowman:

Where is Powderfreak..

I'm out in Utah for the week...enjoying a ski vacation where I don't have to worry about any of the resort operations, haha. Nothing like skiing everyday and then taking time off after the busy holiday period to do more skiing ;)

We've been skiing nice left-over powder at Alta the past couple days on an 8-10 foot natural snow base, not expecting any natural snow unfortunately, but it doesn't matter, these mountains are sick.

I'll check in once in a while, but this morning I did enjoy this nice short term nugget from BTV:

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 408 AM EST TUESDAY...TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY THE MID/UPPER

LEVEL TROUGH WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA

WITH PERIODS OF OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS. THE COMBINATION OF

NUMEROUS EMBEDDED SHORTWAVES AND AMPLE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WILL

KEEP LAKE EFFECT AND MOUNTAIN SNOW SHOWERS GOING THROUGH

WEDNESDAY. NOT EXPECTING TO SEE MUCH ACCUMULATIONS BELOW 2000

FEET...BUT WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SOME SKI RESORTS SEE TOTAL

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WEDNESDAY

NIGHT WILL LIKELY BE THE QUIETEST NIGHT WEATHER-WISE THIS WEEK AS

LOW LEVEL MOISTURE DECREASES A BIT AND MID/UPPER LEVEL FLOW TURNS

SOUTHWESTERLY AHEAD OF A DEVELOPING AND POTENTIAL SIGNIFICANT

UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM. STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINLY IN REGARDS TO THIS

FEATURE...WITH LONGER RANGE MODELS CONTINUING TO BE AT ODDS AT

OVERALL DEVELOPMENT AND TRACK. NEVERTHELESS...AS THE UPPER AND

SURFACE LOW DEVELOP ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES REGION SOME LIGHT SNOW

SHOWERS WILL BE POSSIBLE ON THURSDAY. FOR MORE ON THIS STORM AND

ITS POTENTIAL IMPACTS GOING INTO THE WEEKEND...SEE THE LONG TERM

SECTION BELOW.

That's good to see because talking with the folks back home at Stowe, its not looking particularly pretty at the moment. Time to start nickel and diming out way back out of that thaw.

That's good to see because talking with the folks back home at Stowe, its not looking particularly pretty at the moment. Time to start nickel and diming out way back out of that thaw.

I am up here for a week of skiing and I am not even bothering to ski yet. They don't really have anything open except the blue groomed cruisers. The natural ungroomed trails were bad a week ago before the rain, I really messed my skis up on them, can't imagine them now.

I figured I would sled down Lincoln gap instead. But even that, there was no snow for the first third and then the rest from like 1900'-2400' there was just frozen snow and ice. My brother and I did it anyways and I ended up spraining my thumb, ripping my boot, and body slamming a tree to protect my head trying to stop. I think we will try hiking today..

nice to see BTV's comments.. I was thinking just 1-3" off the models for the peaks, T-1 for the valley, so I was pleasantly surprised to see their optimism

Simply amazing to see Jay with only 17 trails in January...

Archived