• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

Something like 4-5" in Hancock from the boxing day storm and maybe slightly less than that on the mountain at Sugarbush (but more than the 1-2" they reported).

The winds were pretty intense and a bit frustrating after a while with all the wind holds on the lifts. On the 27th everything was wind hold at Ellen and Lincoln and so we hiked up Ellen in our ski boots and skid down F.I.S. The winds were probably gusting over 50 I would guess. My friend sprained his MCL on the way down unfortunately, although he was having a great run before that. Then on the 28th and 29th (today) a lot of Lincoln was on wind hold. Very thin cover on the natural trails with more dirt, leaves, and rocks than snow really, except on the upper 1/3rd of the mountain where things were better. Probably haven't had quite as much snow as spots farther north so the conditions were pretty borderline and the crowds were exacerbated by the wind holds. Hopefully you all get some more snow up there soon.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS springs a sfc low off of the front just east of the Cape like the 12z EC. Maybe a little snow for E ME?

I was just looking at that. Something interesting to watch for the weekend. CAR is hinting at it as well.

MODELS ARE INDICATING ANOTHER POSSIBLE WINTER STORM ON SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. OPERATIONAL RUNS OF THE GFS AND ECMWF ARE KEEPING THE STORM TRACK EAST WITH PRECIP JUST CLIPPING THE DOWN-EAST COAST. THE GFS ENSEMBLE IS INTERESTING IN THAT IT KEEPS A DEEP LOW ALONG THE COAST WHICH WOULD HAVE MORE OF AN IMPACT ON MAINE. CIPS ANALOG GUIDANCE SEEMS TO BE MORE IN LINE WITH OPERATIONAL RUN OF THE GFS ON WHICH IT IS BASED. WILL NEED TO MONITOR CLOSELY OF SUCCESSIVE RUNS. THERE EXISTS A LOW TO MODERATE CONFIDENCE WITH THIS SYSTEM AND AS SUCH HAVE INCREASED POPS TO LIKELY FOR MOST SOUTHERN ZONES.

When I first looked out this morning, I saw that the carshad a coating of snow and when I went out, I noticed that there was also a coating of ice as well. There was a fine snow/snizzle falling all the way in to work. The roads were a little bit greasy as well. As J. Spin noted, there wasn't much mentioned about it in any forecasts that I saw. In some ways I like the fact that we got an unexpected frozen precip "event". That seems to be a better direction than last year when we would expect snow and get cirrus clouds.

No, there was no mention of that in the forecasts until it started to happen. I agree--I like those surprise events myself... It snowed off & on all day yesterday but never added up to more than a trace.

Clear this morning though--14F and a lovely sunrise.

Here's to more 'surprise' events!

I was just looking at that. Something interesting to watch for the weekend. CAR is hinting at it as well.

MODELS ARE INDICATING ANOTHER POSSIBLE WINTER STORM ON SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. OPERATIONAL RUNS OF THE GFS AND ECMWF ARE KEEPING THE STORM TRACK EAST WITH PRECIP JUST CLIPPING THE DOWN-EAST COAST. THE GFS ENSEMBLE IS INTERESTING IN THAT IT KEEPS A DEEP LOW ALONG THE COAST WHICH WOULD HAVE MORE OF AN IMPACT ON MAINE. CIPS ANALOG GUIDANCE SEEMS TO BE MORE IN LINE WITH OPERATIONAL RUN OF THE GFS ON WHICH IT IS BASED. WILL NEED TO MONITOR CLOSELY OF SUCCESSIVE RUNS. THERE EXISTS A LOW TO MODERATE CONFIDENCE WITH THIS SYSTEM AND AS SUCH HAVE INCREASED POPS TO LIKELY FOR MOST SOUTHERN ZONES.

you wait, SW maine will be "missed" again. I have to laugh, although still pissed at the fact NWS had SW ME in the bullseye last storm and we ended up getting the least amount of snow. snow totals flip-flopped that day, with the mtns and central interior getting the rewards

Odd morning out there--went to bed under crystal clear skies with still a fair bit of wind from time to time and woke up to low clouds, gloom, freezing drizzle and a few flakes coming down...

Groomers came through Corinth yesterday. The wife, a friend and myself skied on one trail right after they came through. We were all like, 'hey, thanks!'. ;)

I can't believe how well Leb did with this one--haven't been to Hanover since the storm but a coworker who lives a few miles north of town and emailed me reporting 14" or so...

Back for Winter Term?

Yep, my last one. How the time flies...

GYX going pretty warm ... says I don't go back to below freezing until Sunday night. Tickling 50F tomorrow and Sunday. Since my snowpack isn't much to talk about I'll be looking at bare patches probably. :yikes:

Rather fitting considering how this calendar year has gone wrt winter weather.

We've already flirted with 40 the past two days, and with the thin snowpack (we only got 6-8" from the "blizzard") and wind-blown areas there are already bare spots here. There's going to be a lot of brown by late Sunday. Then it appears we head into an extended stretch of numbingly boring wx. I'm afraid this will turn out to be another pattern "loaded with potential" that doesn't deliver anything interesting for us. At least it'll be cold enough for snowmaking in the mountains.

31.2" of snow in 2010 calendar year at PWM ... less than 50% of normal. Terribke. :arrowhead:

And starting off 2011 with mud season. I'll be heading down to the beach with the kids today (seriously); always an interesting scene during the winter with the erosion and the flotsam that gets washed up. It's funny -- we live 2 miles from the ocean and completely forget about the beach for months at a time after Sept./Oct.

Looks like we do reset nicely this week. The devil's in the details as always, but at least we'll be in the game.

Might've gotten to 30 during the night, clder if there was any clear skies. Had some sprinkles last evening. At least the gfs is showing something other than total boredom, and even though it's mainly in fantasyland, it's also been in several runs now - better than the 2 weeks of mild and storm-free shown a couple days ago.

Dec wx here:

Avg temp 22.89, +1.07, 4th mildest of 13.

Precip: 5.56", +1.41" About half (2.77") came with the torch on 12/12-14.

Snow: 17.0", -2.1"

Only 2 events of note: 22-23 with 4.8" and 27 with 8".

Mildest day: 13th 51/41/46 (tops for all 3 numbers)

Coldest: 10,16,18 all at -1. 4 days with max of 20, including 16th (coldest day, with mean of 9.5)

2010 is my warmest year, 0.34F above 1999. The difference is the daily minima. 2010 was only 3rd for mildest maxima, trailing 2001 as well as 1999, but 2010 had the mildest minima by 1.71F.

Yearly precip was 50.27", just 0.58" above avg.

And starting off 2011 with mud season. I'll be heading down to the beach with the kids today (seriously); always an interesting scene during the winter with the erosion and the flotsam that gets washed up. It's funny -- we live 2 miles from the ocean and completely forget about the beach for months at a time after Sept./Oct.

Looks like we do reset nicely this week. The devil's in the details as always, but at least we'll be in the game.

lol .. yeah, I think the earliest I've been to the water's edge is the middle of May and the latest around Labor Day. Strictly a summertime deal for me.

Could be a nice appetizer on Wednesday before a plowable event a couple days later. Hopefully it all comes together.

lol .. yeah, I think the earliest I've been to the water's edge is the middle of May and the latest around Labor Day. Strictly a summertime deal for me.

Could be a nice appetizer on Wednesday before a plowable event a couple days later. Hopefully it all comes together.

End of the week storm looks a little better then the clipper at the moment, Clipper looks like it develops to late offshore.......

We topped out at 41 yesterday amd 41.8 today. BTV sounds hopeful for some snow on Friday/

From the long term discussion:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

WILL CARRY 40-50 POPS FOR SNOW FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT WITH THIS SLOW

EVOLVING SYSTEM. AS LONG AS 700MB LOW TRACK REMAINS SOUTH OF OUR

LATITUDE DOWN TO ABOUT CENTRAL PA...A MODERATE SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE.

HEAVIEST SNOW POTL RIGHT NOW WOULD BE DURING THE DAY FRIDAY WITH

BETTER INFLUX OF ATLANTIC MOISTURE INTO THE SYSTEM. LOOKS LIKE 6"+

SNOWFALL POTENTIAL ACROSS VERMONT BASED ON 12Z ECMWF AND 12Z GFS

SOLNS...WITH LESSER SNOW AMTS ACROSS NY. WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR

THIS POTENTIAL STORM SYSTEM. WINDS WILL ALSO BE A CONCERN FRIDAY

INTO FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY WITH INCREASING PRESSURE GRADIENT.

GENERALLY FORECASTING NORTH WINDS 15-25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

Topped out at 39 yesterday and only 40 so far today. Not too bad so far for a torch....

We topped out at 41 yesterday amd 41.8 today. BTV sounds hopeful for some snow on Friday/

From the long term discussion:

I got up to 43 yesterday and 40 today before it scaled back to the upper 30's mid afternoon. Sitting at 34 right now. The Cahnnel 3 News reported 51 for a high at BTV today. We still have 6-7 inches a sloppy snow on the ground. It should freeze up rock solid. Channel three also mentined the possibility of snow friday.

I got up to 43 yesterday and 40 today before it scaled back to the upper 30's mid afternoon. Sitting at 34 right now. The Cahnnel 3 News reported 51 for a high at BTV today. We still have 6-7 inches a sloppy snow on the ground. It should freeze up rock solid. Channel three also mentined the possibility of snow friday.

Same conditions here with 7-8" on the ground, we made it up to 39F currently down to 33F. Looking forward to getting back to the colder weather with some shots of snow this week. We have been away most of the week, but did finally break out the snowshoes for the first stroll today :).

Not a bad day today...I for one enjoy mild temps in winter, even if it does eat away at our snow pack.

Plus, we only hit 43 in Leb today, so it wasnt all that bad. Though that inversion was a killer this afternoon. I took a walk and there was all this chimney smoke suspended in the air, not to mention exhaust fumes. I thought I was in DC again, for a minute. haha

Hopefully we will get a little more sunshine tomorrow...possible short hike planned.

Archived