joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a good friend of my wife and I's that we hang out with on the weekend's sister that owns that restaurant, They have great food and menu.......... :thumbsup:

Yeah, it was good. PWM has a nice culinary aspect to the city. I was in Ogunquit with my wife at a B&B that we like for 2 days last week. I chucked a few to the north and west, while I was in PWM.

It's refreshing at least to note that the Auburn Wall of Drought is impervious to a change of seasons. Any radar echo, approaching from any direction, can be sheared apart by the dome-like atmospheric anomoly that encircles my town (depicted by the red circle) :axe:

Here's the latest victim, a renegade snowshower thwarted in its attempt to cover my brown leaves and green grass:

Heh...I lived in Auburn for 23 years. We had our share of fails, but I remember quite a few biggies and some decent squalls. :snowman:

Snowing here now...should pick up and maybe get briefly mod/hvy. Maybe I can manage 1/4". lol

I'm glad I went outside and stopped looking at the radar before it arrived, since the tail end that was going to get me kind of scooted too far east. Still got a moderate squall, with small dusty flakes.

As Brian noted... it had that pronounced wall-of-white effect I love.

And bam, it's over. Final total looks to be 1/64" inch.

Yeah, it was good. PWM has a nice culinary aspect to the city. I was in Ogunquit with my wife at a B&B that we like for 2 days last week. I chucked a few to the north and west, while I was in PWM.

That whole coastal area from Ogunquit, Wells, Kennebunk all the way back to Portland is a nice area, A lot of good times can be had in the Old Port, Lot of long sleepless nights spent down there when i was younger and at Old Orchard........

Nice.

As I thought...it got very heavy for a minute or two with some gusty winds (22mph). Sun is peaking out now with still some lgt/mod snow falling. Didn't snow long enough for anything decent accum wise, but it's nice to see some flakes during the day. 28.9F.

I just checked my cam and thought I was seeing a cached image since the sun was out a couple minutes ago. Looks like I might have the spine of that band of little snow showers pass overhead... might get 30 mins of light snow. I see one nice 25dbz pixel in there... maybe it'll blossom.

New radar frame arrived before I hit submit.... this might be better than the first round.

As I thought...it got very heavy for a minute or two with some gusty winds (22mph). Sun is peaking out now with still some lgt/mod snow falling. Didn't snow long enough for anything decent accum wise, but it's nice to see some flakes during the day. 28.9F.

Oh well, its all good - at least squalls are a reminder of what a good storm CAN look like. I can see lots of flakes in the virga persisting to the north/northwest of my office here in Portsmouth. Some impressive low-topped instability with very dark base and the curtain of white out in front.

It's refreshing at least to note that the Auburn Wall of Drought is impervious to a change of seasons. Any radar echo, approaching from any direction, can be sheared apart by the dome-like atmospheric anomoly that encircles my town (depicted by the red circle) :axe:

Here's the latest victim, a renegade snowshower thwarted in its attempt to cover my brown leaves and green grass:

My spot in Bow too, brightening sky atm, no snow..

The radar you posted there has Loudon in the wrong spot for some reason btw.

Brutal :(

I got a nice burst with the northernmost edge, but it lasted maybe 90 seconds. Could have intercepted this one at Shaws had I seen the radar earlier... looks like the edge of the heavy stuff was half way up the boulevard.

Looking at the sat loops I'm hoping for one more chance before everything dissipates. It's a longshot though as we lose the daytime heating.

I'm out in Utah but talked to friends in Stowe... said the mountain has a solid 5-6" so far above 3,000ft. Still snowing.

A couple to few inches of fresh snow down in the populated areas.

Looks like the Stowe-Morrisville Airport (KMVL) has been reporting snow off and on (more on than off) for the past 24 hours and even had some +SN obs this afternoon.

Radar showing upslope snow continues in the northern Greens, likely high ratio type stuff... with RT 108 from Stowe to Jeffersonville to Johnson getting the best right now.

I'm very happy to see the area picking up some fresh snow, and hopefully the upslope machine can aid snowfall later this week and weekend so I can come back to some appreciable snow on the ground.

Wow what a great day for major snow squalls in the NW lakes region. I missed most of the stuff at my house but just to my north Plymouth got socked! I had to run an errand up there around 2pm and was amazed they were plowing the streets. I didn't measure but looked like a good 2-3" squall came through there!! All the bare spots from the previous day were gone, a solid new snowcover.

Event totals: 5.0” Snow/0.18” L.E.

Wednesday 1/5/2011 6:00 P.M. update: It was snowing pretty hard when I left the house this morning, and it even snowed in Burlington today to add to their accumulation, so I was curious to see how much snow we picked up at our place. When I arrived at my car in Waterbury it looked like at least another inch of snow had fallen on it during the day, and when I reached our driveway I was quite surprised to see that my wife’s tire tracks looked like they had gone through about a half a foot of new fluff. It wasn’t quite six inches, but I did find another 2.0 inches on the snowboard, bringing the event total to an even 5.0 inches. It didn’t seem like this clipper was going to be all that strong, but 5 inches is certainly a decent accumulation so perhaps there will be some progress in catching up to our snowfall average this week. My wife said that it snowed nicely all day in Morrisville and they have similar accumulations to what we’ve got here at the house. Up above us, Bolton was reporting 5 inches of new snow as of early morning, so I’d think they would have picked up more today, but I haven’t seen an evening update yet. They were dropping ropes on additional trails today thanks to the new snow though. Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.2

Snow Density: 4.5%

Temperature: 23.4 F

Sky: An occasional flurry

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

Event totals: 5.5” Snow/0.18” L.E.

Thursday 1/6/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up another half inch of very fluffy snow overnight to add to the snowfall total. Even as of yesterday however, this clipper was already our third largest snowfall event of the season. Since yesterday, the mountains picked up additional snowfall as well, so I’ve updated the storm totals for the mountains along the spine, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 19”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 10”

Killington: 3”

The numbers are quite variable along the spine, with some areas getting close to a foot now, but Jay Peak has clearly ramped up its legendary snowfall magic in a way I hadn’t seen yet this season to lead the pack.

In his morning broadcast, Roger Hill said that he’s not expecting much accumulating snow in our area in the Thursday-Friday timeframe, but for Saturday-Sunday he was going with 4 to 8 or perhaps 5 to 10 inches for the mountains. Presumably we’d get in on a portion of that in the mountain valleys

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: <0.01 inches

Temperature: 15.6 F

Sky: clear

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

Archived