• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

Not bashing coops at all, but in my experience they run low. I know ORH_Wxman (Will) has stated this for SNE as well... not sure why the co-operative observations tend to be on the low side (I'm guessing its because they just measure once every 24 hours) but they are much better with "TOTAL" (snow-on-ground) rather than the "NEW" column.

J.Spin is very diligent in measuring every 6-12 hours and I wish the coops were like that as well. They're totals would be much higher than the once a day at 6 or 7am stuff.

As a coop-er who has a M-F, 40 hour/week job, it's impossible to measure every six hours when it snows on a week day. If it snows on a week day, I'll certainly measure when I get home, sweep the board and measure again in the morning at obs time. When it snows over the weekend, things are certainly easier and I am able to keep a better eye on things. That being said, for comarison sake, standardization of measurements is key. Here's what the NWS has to say:

http://www.weather.g...op/snowguid.htm

Snowfall amounts can be measured hourly or at any interval as long as the snow measurement board is NOT cleared more frequently than once every 6 hours.

I can't speak for other observers as I've never met any (I keep meaning to start a thread here to see if there are any other coop folks on board here) but I suspect many of them are at work during the day themselves. Observers who are retired or independently wealthy (and we have plenty of that ilk here in Vermont! ;) ) surely have an easier time of it. With all of this this in mind, every 24 hours might be about as good as we can get.

In my opinion, the liquid equivelent is the tell-tale number. When I see a report with a really high (or low for that matter) ratio, I say 'hmmmmm'.

Anyway, it's an inexact science but fun nonetheless. Hoping to take some new snow measurements this weekend. :whistle:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going to need a lot of help and hope that those troughs on the Nam are to far south and come north or the Nam is wrong, Will have to wait and see the rest of 12z....

For sure. Verbatim we're looking at flurries, but this has been giving the models fits all week long, so I find no reason for the NAM depiction to be taken at face value. The rest of the day will be most interesting.

Well, I'm about done watching this one .... looks like it'll be a nice sunny weekend up this way. I'll hope for a miracle and plan on doing some ice fishing or maybe some sun tanning .... :sun:

What horrible modeling, Won't know until you wake up and look out the window........

We are going to need a lot of help

Yes...a lot of help. I still have hope that there will be a little surprise snow for us. After following this damn trough all week it will be quite a bummer to have it fizzle over N MA/S NH and then watch SNE get walloped. Them are the breaks.

Yes...a lot of help. I still have hope that there will be a little surprise snow for us. After following this damn trough all week it will be quite a bummer to have it fizzle over N MA/S NH and then watch SNE get walloped. Them are the breaks.

Exactly. There'll be a time where they're getting soaked with 36F rain while we're piling up your namesake. It's all good.

But I'm not giving up.

2010 redux so far, Now we cant't get a trough, A miller B or an A up here, Where are our freindly SWFE's??

2010 redux so far, Now we cant't get a trough, A miller B or an A up here, Where are our freindly SWFE's??

I can't really complain since I got over a foot from the Boxing Day storm (which was a surprise). But the rapid meltdown left me a bit bitter. I don't like seeing a couple of little patches of grass showing on the high points of my lawn.

I can't really complain since I got over a foot from the Boxing Day storm (which was a surprise). But the rapid meltdown left me a bit bitter. I don't like seeing a couple of little patches of grass showing on the high points of my lawn.

unless we have an epic late Jan/Feb, it is going to be tough for us to get to our snowfall avg at this point. I know it is early, but I am sitting on 9.5" on the season. yay.

My foot is down to about 3" with plenty of bare patches abound, Its just irratating that we keep finding different ways to whiff on every storm.......... :axe:

My foot is down to about 3" with plenty of bare patches abound, Its just irratating that we keep finding different ways to whiff on every storm.......... :axe:

My 6" are down to nothing, aside from a few stray patches and piles. This unfolding "event" fits perfectly into the year that we've had: even a setup that should favor us based on climo manages to nail places well south of here while we're stuck on the outside looking in. Just an infuriating stretch.

unless we have an epic late Jan/Feb, it is going to be tough for us to get to our snowfall avg at this point. I know it is early, but I am sitting on 9.5" on the season. yay.

I don't know if it's all that early any longer. I count DJFand M as winter months, so by that reckoning we're about a third of the way in. Agree with snowfall average - that's a pipe dream unless Ray's epic March comes to fruition.

I don't know if it's all that early any longer. I count DJFand M as winter months, so by that reckoning we're about a third of the way in. Agree with snowfall average - that's a pipe dream unless Ray's epic March comes to fruition.

maybe I am just trying to convince my self that it is still early lol

right now I am at 14% of my annual snowfall. if we are a third into winter, then I expect less than 50% of annual. :arrowhead:

what will happen will be like last year. somehow we will nickel and dime our way to right around average, making the year look relatively decent on paper.

Looks like some light snow is starting to edge into southern/southwestern VT. Springfield, VT is reporting light snow as of noon and webcams from the southern third of VT are showing some "fuzzy air".

We'll see.....

Just looked out here at work in Lebanon, NH and we do have some very lgt snow falling.

Well I almost hit average in 06-07 despite having 7.5" on the season Feb 1 so we're at least ahead of that. There's a lot of January to go. The LR offers up a possible SWFE so maybe we can pick up 4"+ with that before the real deal cold tries to work its way in.

My 6" are down to nothing, aside from a few stray patches and piles. This unfolding "event" fits perfectly into the year that we've had: even a setup that should favor us based on climo manages to nail places well south of here while we're stuck on the outside looking in. Just an infuriating stretch.

No way to sugar coat it, And folks that have not been screwed the last couple of years obviously don't want to hear it, But if the shoe was on the other foot i think there would be some that would have already gone postal by now

No way to sugar coat it, And folks that have not been screwed the last couple of years obviously don't want to hear it, But if the shoe was on the other foot i think there would be some that would have already gone postal by now

so true. i remember reading posts from the mid-atlantic section 2 yrs ago and they had gotten shafted for a number of years while NE was reaping the rewards. looks like last year and so far this year is working out well for them. not so good for us.

anyone else notice...i.e look at the norlun getting going by portland to lewiston maine , now.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=gyx&loop=yes

anyone with the meso models up notice if they had this feature.

i mean that is legit returns no?

Dunno, Mr Pickett ... I'm in PWM right now and the sun is out. There are clouds all around, though. I'd dearly love for this to be real and meaningful, so I'll wait and see on it.

anyone else notice...i.e look at the norlun getting going by portland to lewiston maine , now.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=gyx&loop=yes

anyone with the meso models up notice if they had this feature.

i mean that is legit returns no?

Yes, I am watching it on radar lab hd, Its legit, 18dbz band that looks to be just to my east, The euro is running now and it actually has it, But don't remeber what run it was over the last couple of days, But one of the models showed it being over us for about 6 hrs............ :weight_lift:

Archived