• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

certainly not great for skiing or the snowmachines - but you couldn't get much better weather for pond hockey. just gotta roll with the punches.

Absolutely, gotta roll. Last year was similar. Didn't ski as much as normal last winter but skated a bunch and had fun doing it. So far this year, I've only skied a handful of times and have yet to lace up, but I will soon. Maybe this weekend....

Anyway, light snow still falling and based on a couple of upstream webcams, we might have a nice burst headed our way. Picked up a couple more tenths since earlier this morn. You know it's bad though if we're making note of tenths. :whistle:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting? 2" in Vermont isn't exciting, that's what I call pathetic for January 5th. I can't believe the skiers up there are desperate for every inch whereas we still have a nice 3-5" coating on most lawns here in Westchester 10 miles from NYC. What the heck is going on up there the last couple of winters? It's as if it just decided to stop snowing in the North Country ever since January 2009. It was great up there until that point and since then winter for NNE has been a farce. Everyone expected them to do well up there this year with analogs like 07-08 and 70-71 being thrown around, but this has actually been like an El Niño winter for them in terms of snowfall, obviously not talking about temps which have been colder. We need a few good SW flow events...I'd take snow-->ice/sleet here to get the North some snow they deserve.

All on target except the boldface (and this is a Maine-centric comment.) The "real" snow ended with the disappointment that was 3/2/09, but I measured 33" from 2 storms 2/19-23 that winter and depth peaked at 49". And Maine has been the anomaly for temps, with the departures increasing to near-record levels as one moves north. A number of the LR forecasts posted here included that phenomenon, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Looking like another near miss (or graze) for the weekend, but maybe some serious cold after mid month. Bottom so far IMBY is -1, which is kind of pitiful for my frost pocket location.

Absolutely, gotta roll. Last year was similar. Didn't ski as much as normal last winter but skated a bunch and had fun doing it. So far this year, I've only skied a handful of times and have yet to lace up, but I will soon. Maybe this weekend....

Anyway, light snow still falling and based on a couple of upstream webcams, we might have a nice burst headed our way. Picked up a couple more tenths since earlier this morn. You know it's bad though if we're making note of tenths. :whistle:

We just had a nice burst of heavier snow come through Montpelier, vis looked to be down 1/2 mile or so for maybe 45 minutes. Nice, big flakes. Looks like it coated up the roads pretty quickly.

I see flakes falling out the window of my cube in PWM.

I looked out about five minutes ago and it was sunny. Now, just as you mention, I look out and flakes are flying. Nice surprise! At least I get to see them falling. Yesterday I was so engrossed in my lab work that I didn't even catch the snow falling.

Hey OT, but was up your way last week. Ate at a place called Walters, in PWM. Great food!

Walters ... never heard of it, but I don't eat out often. Glad you enjoyed! The old saying is that the more you spend here the better the weather gets. Keep that in mind next time you visit.

It's refreshing at least to note that the Auburn Wall of Drought is impervious to a change of seasons. Any radar echo, approaching from any direction, can be sheared apart by the dome-like atmospheric anomoly that encircles my town (depicted by the red circle) :axe:

Here's the latest victim, a renegade snowshower thwarted in its attempt to cover my brown leaves and green grass:

Archived