joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised too. I shoveled 3 or 4 inches off the deck last night and there was another 2 again this morning. We haven't done well with these retro type deals either.

One thing I will say about this area though, is that while we're rarely the jackpot, we almost never get shutout either. Slow & steady.

Funny webcam shot from Roger Hill in Worcester, VT this morning. There's a giant lamp hovering over this hills. ;)

post-2284-0-00037700-1293112995.jpg

That much, eh? Good for you folks. We just haven't gotten a good set-up for this locale all season. We're not even getting nickeled & dimed--more like pennied & ha'-pennied. ;)

I am in the same boat. I think I got maybe a little over an inch from this. I only had to take about a half inch off the car this morning.

That's pretty much in line with what PF and I were both thinking. I suspect amnts are higher at the upper elevations.

I can confirm higher amounts at the top. Groomers were right by saying *at least* 5"... I just skied stuff that had probably 6-7" of snow overnight (the little Lord Loop up top was almost boot deep first run)... but it is hard to tell with drifting.

I'm sticking with 3-5" though as that's certainly the average for the mountain.

You can tell Smuggs also figured out there's more snow up top as they upgraded their morning estimates from 2-3" to 3-6" now.

Sounds like PWMan and yours truly were the big losers. Probably will measure an inch and a half tonight if it doesn't settle much.

Sometmes youu're the hammer, other times you're the nail.

you can add me to the list of losers too. When I left this morning, I eyeballed maybe a 1/2" from overnight. we may have ended with an inch, but with the sun blazing now, I'm sure we'll be back to blades of grass poking through. :rolleyes:

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.35” L.E.

Thursday 12/23/2010 2:00 P.M. update: With Bolton Valley topping the accumulations list from this event, we headed there today for turns. Consistent with their report, my depth checks on new snow around the mountain generally revealed about 7 inches. The new snow was fairly dense, pretty consistent with the 8-9% H2O snow we’ve been picking up at the house from this event, so the mountain may have received in the range of 2/3 of an inch of liquid in the past 24 hours. With this event, Bolton has picked up 99 inches of snow for the season.

It snowed on and off while we were skiing, although occasionally it came down quite hard, and I’d say there was another ½ inch to inch of accumulation on the car when we left. I wondered if any of that activity had reached down to the house, and found that we’d picked up 0.4 inches of additional snow this morning.

Some details from the 2:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.3

Snow Density: 7.5%

Temperature: 28.8 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Thought GYX disco was worth posting:

.Long term /friday night through thursday/...

-- Changed discussion --

The main concern for the long term forecast will be a coastal storm

System which could bring significant snowfall to nh and maine late

Sunday into monday. A short wave now moving through new mexico will

Phase with a large scale trough as it digs into the southeastern

Conus on saturday. In response...A surface cyclone moving over the

Fl panhandle will deepen rapidly and move ne along the atlantic

Coast.

The latest runs of the gfs and ecmwf keep the storm just offshore

Over the gulf of maine...With the ecmwf closer to the shore than

The gfs. Depending on the track and intensity of the storm...

Southern nh and portions of coastal maine could see enough snow to

Warrant a winter storm warning for sunday night and monday morning.

Winds could also be problematic...With at least 20-30 mph along the

Coast and gale force likely offshore. On the other hand...If the gfs

Verifies...Areas along the coast could only receive negligible snow

Amounts.

you can add me to the list of losers too. When I left this morning, I eyeballed maybe a 1/2" from overnight. we may have ended with an inch, but with the sun blazing now, I'm sure we'll be back to blades of grass poking through. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the snow that fell after I left melt, so I won't be getting an accurate measurement for this event. Only probably low by a half-inch or so ... not a terribly big deal unless I wind up with 99.8" at the end of the season. har har.

With this event, Bolton has picked up 99 inches of snow for the season.

J.Spin... do you happen to know when Bolton started their seasonal snow tally? I'm curious just for comparisons sake. Each ski resort does it a little bit differently so you never quite know.

For the record, at Stowe we have decided to start tallying seasonal snowfall beginning November 1st (also the first day we began snowmaking operations). The idea behind that is that it is at that point where snow begins to hold in the upper elevations and also the natural snowfall mixes in with the snowmaking to start forming a base. Also, November 1st just seems like a good, general date to begin tallying resort snowfall as it is that time of year when we start thinking towards opening day. Its also the day when RT 108 through Smugglers Notch becomes officially closed for the season... that's not really relevant haha, but its sort of the unofficial start of the "winter season"... as October snowfall is hard to justify counting towards our seasonal total. With that said, the stake officially recorded 34" in October, so if you add that to our seasonal snowfall total, you can get pretty good idea of what Mansfield's snowfall for this season is.

I know Sugarbush began tallying the first day of lift service in late November... Smuggs doesn't list seasonal snowfall and you never really know to expect from them... some days they list new snow in the past 24 hours, other times its overnight, sometimes its last 36 or 48 hours... they have no set snowfall fields/boundaries. Killington began counting their snowfall from the very beginning in October (but that makes sense for them because they opened far earlier than anyone else in VT). I'm not sure about Jay and when they started tallying.

I can confirm higher amounts at the top. Groomers were right by saying *at least* 5"... I just skied stuff that had probably 6-7" of snow overnight (the little Lord Loop up top was almost boot deep first run)... but it is hard to tell with drifting.

I'm sticking with 3-5" though as that's certainly the average for the mountain.

Looks like the Mansfield co-op confirmed my high elevation estimates (I say estimates because this stuff

blew all over the place and was basically just an average of a bunch of measurements).

Anyway, 7" of new is actually a pretty high reading for the co-op which routinely under-reports actual snowfall.

Also, note the 0.94" of liquid at temperatures in the teens. That 7" seems a little low in that light given

that most other locations recorded ratios of 10-12:1 with this system.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
553 PM EST THU DEC 23 2010

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.94    19  12  13   LIGHT FOG    7.0  29

This storm actually did more good for the base than the 3 feet of uber-fluff that fell a couple weeks ago. Its amazing how much of a skiing improvement can occur when the snow has some water in it and patrol was able to drop a bunch of ropes today thanks to finally getting some snow with some water content.

Just looking at my season stats ... if you told me in October that I'd have 7 accumulating events before Christmas, I'd guess I have about 20" or so for a total. :arrowhead:

Same idea IMBY - I've had 9 "events" with accumulation. Last year this time I'd had only 7, but nearly 10" more snowfall (21.2".) My 12-yr avg thru 12/23 is 18.6" - haven't tried to get the 12-yr avg for accum events. Can't complain too much, though. The grass is fully covered for the 1st time this season, and the timing was excellent.

J.Spin... do you happen to know when Bolton started their seasonal snow tally? I'm curious just for comparisons sake. Each ski resort does it a little bit differently so you never quite know.
I'm not sure Scott, I almost thought I saw that they had some of the October snowfall in there, but if they're saying 99 inches for the season and Stowe is reporting 93 inches, that doesn't surprise me with the way these past few events have hit the western slopes. I also agree on the Smugg's snow reporting, it would be nice if they kept better track of it like Bolton, Stowe and Jay Peak. In my opinion the abundant natural snowfall is a huge asset to the northern VT resorts and one would think they'd want to capitalize on that by putting out dependable and reliable reports.

Heh, I've had 20 days with a trace or more and 14 of those with 0.1" or more....and yet only 10.9" for the month.....

Perhaps adding to this total I see....I wake up to find some westward shifts in the model runs and WS Watches up just to the SE of here. We've got a nice little base out there and 4-6" would go a long way.

Cold morning--down to 3F atm.

Headed down to Newburyport for the day today to see family. See ya out there on 89/ 93 / 101 / 95. :scooter:

Merry Christmas, all!

Merry Christmas!!

11F and I am surprised to see snowflakes falling from the sky yet again. Like Allenson I have recorded at least a trace of snow just about everyday this month, but only 5.8" recorded. I will be down with family in Mass during the upcoming event, can't wait to see more than 2" accumulate at a time :)!!

Merry Christmas!!

11F and I am surprised to see snowflakes falling from the sky yet again. Like Allenson I have recorded at least a trace of snow just about everyday this month, but only 5.8" recorded. I will be down with family in Mass during the upcoming event, can't wait to see more than 2" accumulate at a time :)!!

Gettin' some snow along the river this morn, eh? Pretty clear out here but the trees are all sparkly with some hoar.

I took a spin out by Sunday Mountain, Indian Pond and Clay Hollow (between 25A & 25C)--they got a nice little shot of snow the other day--looked like 4-5" of nice fluff. So close and yet so far! And the moutains (Moosilauke, Piermont, Cube, Smarts, etc.) are all rimed up nicely. The alpenglow was spectacular yesterday afternoon.

We’re here in South Burlington visiting family at the moment, and it’s been snowing for the past hour or so; it’s quite festive for the holiday. It seems pretty localized based on the radar. They’ve also got a decent amount of snow on the ground from the Wednesday snow – my dad says they got about 8 inches, in line with what my colleague in South Burlington reported. I took a quick measurement in the yard and found a consistent 7.5” to 8” of snow depth.

Happy holidays to all you guys!

I think that's right. Dendrite can give you a more informed call. Winds per NAM are quite robust - that's always what we seem to be lacking for blizzard conditions.

That might fook with our ratios but sho gonna be fun! I think GYX is being conservative...my guess watches will go up a big further n and e from here and we convert to warnings later today.

That might fook with our ratios but sho gonna be fun! I think GYX is being conservative...my guess watches will go up a big further n and e from here and we convert to warnings later today.

Yeah, this looks to be the most fun we've had since 2008/2009. We're laying to rest the demons of 09/10. Winter is back in NNE.

Archived