Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

PF:

I feel like we are the only two people looking at this

Check your PM box. I love the signal from this event. Eastern slopes look hardest hit as I see it.

I'm looking!! Very much the amateur here, but if I'm reading that model graphic right, looks like some love finally coming into Southern VT? Just in time for the first runs of the season on Friday? :ski:

I feel like Paris, London, Ireland, and even Australia have had more natural snow so far than Southern VT, hope that may finally turn around!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking!! Very much the amateur here, but if I'm reading that model graphic right, looks like some love finally coming into Southern VT? Just in time for the first runs of the season on Friday? :ski:

I feel like Paris, London, Ireland, and even Australia have had more natural snow so far than Southern VT, hope that may finally turn around!

First runs...man you've been missin' out.

Lots of really good snow around these parts. (Friends):

IMG_2779.jpg

First runs...man you've been missin' out.

Lots of really good snow around these parts. (Friends):

I know - you're killing me with these pictures... I remember GPetrics - I used to lurk on a Killington board, he was always putting up pics there as well. Fantastic shots and I got the feeling he's an excellent skier. We went up to Mt Snow in the beginning of December but the base was kind of pathetic - we hiked instead. I know they've been making snow ever since and apparently it's good coverage now, but nothing would beat some nice powder for Xmas.

I know - you're killing me with these pictures... I remember GPetrics - I used to lurk on a Killington board, he was always putting up pics there as well. Fantastic shots and I got the feeling he's an excellent skier. We went up to Mt Snow in the beginning of December but the base was kind of pathetic - we hiked instead. I know they've been making snow ever since and apparently it's good coverage now, but nothing would beat some nice powder for Xmas.

That's an under-statement. I think Greg is one of the smoothest, strongest skiers I know. I remember one of the first times I saw/met him was a couple years ago early season at Stowe.... it was the usual November opening-route of ice and this guy in bright orange pants came ripping past laying down GS radius rail-road tracks in the ice. It was quite impressive skiing and if anything he's gotten better over the past couple years.

He's also one of the best photogs out there. His photos grace a lot of our Stowe marketing collateral (actually, he's got a shot or cover on/in just about all our brochures) and its awesome stuff. The crew over at FamousInternetSkiers.com generally kills it in all aspects of the sport and they are good people, too.

I'm right there with you. Patiently waiting for the Stratton/Bromley/Magic areas to get nailed. (For that matter I'm waiting for Berkshire East to get nailed.)

29.9F and overcast. Looking eastward it seems the elephant has reared its ugly head. Looks like a lot of mid 30s and rain showers in Maine.

I had a snow shower half an hour ago. 34.5F

Edit: Looked outside again ... more flakes falling. If I'm real lucky I'll get a fractional accum. Not holding my breath on that, though.

My massive (1") snowpack is all gone, just as I feared this retro would do. The forecast 1-3" turned out as 0.1" with 0.01" LE, flurries to sprinkles to just clouds and wind; felt surprisingly cold for mid-upper 30s. Looks like a good chance for my 3rd brown Christmas in 13 yr here.

My 2" was gone mid morning as we had -RN for most of the day starting around 10:00 am......

so is the set up for tomorrow different than yesterday? the usual downsloping snowhole hell was in full force just ask Brian. NW winds are bad for us. I'm out of town so not paying much attention, but hoping it is a different setup. If it is an inverted trough then the concord area i think could do well, especially if there is some flow from the east. No insults intended but don't have much faith in GYX in these events. They put out a forecast of 1-2 inches yesterday morning at 9am after the snow had not been reaching the ground all night. They said snow in the morning 1-2 inches and mostly falling in the morning.

so is the set up for tomorrow different than yesterday? the usual downsloping snowhole hell was in full force just ask Brian. NW winds are bad for us. I'm out of town so not paying much attention, but hoping it is a different setup. If it is an inverted trough then the concord area i think could do well, especially if there is some flow from the east. No insults intended but don't have much faith in GYX in these events. They put out a forecast of 1-2 inches yesterday morning at 9am after the snow had not been reaching the ground all night. They said snow in the morning 1-2 inches and mostly falling in the morning.

It's a different setup, but yes, there will be some downsloping. When the NAM was showing a strong inverted trough with its juicy runs the winds were shifting to more NErly behind the convergence zone. Unfortunately it doesn't look all that strong anymore and so it appears winds will be more NWrly. I'm not expecting much out of this. If I get over 1" I'll be happy.

I'm still worried a bit for the guys in Maine. Hopefully it at least ends up a wet snow.

27.9F very light snow. I didn't bother to turn the spot lights on tonight until I just put the dog out and was surprised to see it snowing. Fairly big flakes with a new feather dusting. We had about 1/4" of snow last evening. Drove down to Manchester this morning. No snow on the ground until Manchester which had a dusting. Everything was gone by the ride back till I got to my house with a thin snow cover in the shade. Real snowpack is just a few miles to my NW and N running west through Plymouth.

Not excited about this weekends potential yet. The 0Z GFS could raise my spirits if it starts trending toward the Euro but each run seems further off shore.

It's a different setup, but yes, there will be some downsloping. When the NAM was showing a strong inverted trough with its juicy runs the winds were shifting to more NErly behind the convergence zone. Unfortunately it doesn't look all that strong anymore and so it appears winds will be more NWrly. I'm not expecting much out of this. If I get over 1" I'll be happy.

I'm still worried a bit for the guys in Maine. Hopefully it at least ends up a wet snow.

Very magnanomous to be worrying about the snow in Maine given that we haven't had more than a trace...lol

Wow is it warm out there this morning... 25F in the village at 5:15am when I left the house, and its 24F up here at 1,550ft which is the warmest 6am temp we've had since the rain event a week ago Monday.

Overnight snowfall... another dusting on the car this morning in the village, a bit more than a half inch at 1,550 and right around an inch at 3,600ft top of Gondola.

Looking at our snowfall/temp spreadsheet here at the mountain, there has only been ONE day so far this month where we have not recorded measurable snowfall in a 24 hour (6am-6am) period. That was the 6am report on December 15th and it only had a trace at 3,600ft and no snow at 1,550ft. So the one day without measurable still recorded a trace. Down in the village its been a handful of days, but not many. This seems to be about par for the course during Dec/Jan in my experience over the past 4 seasons here... daily light snowfalls for the first half of the season.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Wednesday 12/22/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The snow has been quite light and intermittent over the past 24 hours, with just a tenth of an inch of accumulation at our location. It was snowing lightly at the house this morning when I left around 6:00 A.M., although the intensity jumped up as I was driving east into Waterbury and stayed at the higher level while I was there. Our NWS point and click forecast has us down for up to 3 to 5 inches through tomorrow, although snowfall has not been very robust with this event so far and we’ll have to see if it ramps up or flake size increases to get to those levels.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0%

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Man is it good to read some weather discussion instead of that model hope/suffer fest that goes on in some of the other threads. Explain to me why people get all excited over model runs more than 72 hours in advance. I mean I like tracking developments as much as anybody but come on. Can't we all agree that we will no longer get worked up over the 120 hr GFS 18z solution?

Anyway...looks like the BTV WRF has backed off of the precip a bit over the next 24 hrs but the High REs from the NCEP has upped it for the Greens. F me then.

31.1° F SN

3/4" snow since latest band began.

Became dizzy after reading weekend storm thread. On, off, maybe, on, off.... It's 4-5 days away. There's gnashing of teeth, with many feeling total isolation as they reflect on their rejection of a snowstorm this far out is total is total bupkus!

3/4" accum ... nice! Maybe a couple today .. a couple more tonight ... who knows.

35 with light snow / snow grains this morning. Just a very light coating on the ground in spots. Lost my meager snow pack yesterday thanks to the wonderful maritime air. Have I mentioned how much I love retro lows? Hopefully we can whiten things back up tonight and tomorrow. 1-4 in the forecast.

As for the post Christmas storm ... I'm already tired of tracking it.... 2 local mets going with a scraper this morning. That would be the smart call at this point. I'm feeling more and more like it's going to be a miss but that's probably just my hangover from the last one talking.

Man is it good to read some weather discussion instead of that model hope/suffer fest that goes on in some of the other threads. Explain to me why people get all excited over model runs more than 72 hours in advance. I mean I like tracking developments as much as anybody but come on. Can't we all agree that we will no longer get worked up over the 120 hr GFS 18z solution?

Anyway...looks like the BTV WRF has backed off of the precip a bit over the next 24 hrs but the High REs from the NCEP has upped it for the Greens. F me then.

Like we were talking about yesterday... something about this set-up just seems "off." The models have been quite generous with QPF but I just don't see that sort of moisture working in here. The NAM continues to advertise this evening and tonight for a good burst of snow, so we'll have to see if we start seeing moisture increase from the NE on the composite radar later this afternoon.

I'm still not sold that this turns out to be more than a 1-2" event... though the model QPF would have to believe 6"+ is a possibility.

Archived