joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I see mention in another thread about a potential cutter sometime in the future? Ugh, if so....

You should be in a good spot for a nice snowfall here in the next 24 hours. I bet you do well on a NE wind flow as you're elevated a bit there above the valley.

I know what you mean...and I've thought the same.... But after living here in Corinth for seven years now, I've seen that a NE fetch isn't actually that good here. We do better on a NW flow. It seems counter-intuitive but that's my anecdotal opinion anyway. Perhaps it's a matter of flake structure. NE fetch snow tends to be teeny-tiny little flakes whereas with a NW flow the 'fluff factor' is much better. Maybe with a NE wind, just enough milder maritime air is getting wrapped up at certain levels in the atmosphere and now allowing the flakes to 'size up'.....?

Anyway, we'll see.

Had a skimpy 0.2" at 7 AM IMBY, with -SN. Made for a slightly interesting commute, especially since an errand in Farmaington added 20 miles to the usual 32. Back to snow grains here in AUG. Some halfway decent dendrites 9-9:45 almost brought the light snow up to moderate, but we've only had perhaps 1/2" - hardly enough to cover car windshields since folks arrived 2-3 hr ago. Aty least the ground is the correct color again, and there's less chance of an upper 30s meltdown than yesterday. Forecast is for 1-3" by tomorrow morning, a modest target but one I expect will verify at the lower end.

Did I see mention in another thread about a potential cutter sometime in the future? Ugh, if so....

I know what you mean...and I've thought the same.... But after living here in Corinth for seven years now, I've seen that a NE fetch isn't actually that good here. We do better on a NW flow. It seems counter-intuitive but that's my anecdotal opinion anyway. Perhaps it's a matter of flake structure. NE fetch snow tends to be teeny-tiny little flakes whereas with a NW flow the 'fluff factor' is much better. Maybe with a NE wind, just enough milder maritime air is getting wrapped up at certain levels in the atmosphere and now allowing the flakes to 'size up'.....?

Anyway, we'll see.

Wouldn't you be shielded by the Whites when there is a NE flow?

Wouldn't you be shielded by the Whites when there is a NE flow?

I've never noticed it here like I have in other spots closer to and butted right up underneath the whites...but yes, probably here too to some extent. But then again, there's an upslope component as the air rises back up on the west side of the Connecticut River but sometimes it does seem a little tattered by the time it gets here. Hard tellin', not knowin'.

Also, the direction of the NE flow will matter too--meaning, with a NNE wind, not so much but with an ENE wind we're certainly downstream of the Whites...

As close as Bradford, VT, Wells River, Woodsville, etc is considerably more in the shadow than we are here. A little elevation goes a long way.

Started snowing hard here at the ski resort about a half hour to an hour ago... probably half inch per hour rates.

Burlington area and I-89 corridor including the western slopes and Green Mountain Spine region is getting crushed right now.

I-89 east of BTV in eastern Chittenden County looks like a lot of fun right now...

BTV airport cam... this is pretty heavy snow as you can barely see the airport buildings across the tarmac on the the very bottom of this image.

Man it must be snowing very hard in BTV because I've gotten like 4 text messages from friends in the past half hour wondering if its dumping at the mountain. Definitely not snowing as hard here as radar and web cams show on the eastern side of Lake Champlain (western slope of the Greens).

VAD shows beautiful upslope enhancement and Champlain Valley convergence on a NNW flow funneling between the 'Dacks and Greens, and then gently getting forced up into the Greens. Beautiful meso-scale combo for that area.

1pm light snow vis about 2-3 miles 28F 1/2 inch so far. Finally getting the ground white for a white Christmas. Anxiously awaiting the Euro, gonna be a big bomb to our SE. Wish it would bomb out over Boston and get us in Blizzard conditions up here in C/N NE. Better not say that on the SNE threads they kill me! Come NW Euro you can do it!

Yeah, first thing I did when I sat down was pull up radar. Looks nice, can't wait for it to make its way here. My wife is in Bangor today, wondering about her drive home this evening.

I'm probably too late but it's lightly snowing in Bangor and has been since about 1PM. It started sticking to the roads about an hour ago but just a light coating.

Decent -SN resumed here in AUG about 2 PM and by 2:30 was whitening the sidewalks (since salted and now clear.) The morning 1/2" settled/melted so that the green/brown was beginning to discolor the lawns, but they're re-whitened now. Grass still sticking thru, however - need 3-4" to end that, and this storm isn't going to do it.

BTV area and Chittenden County continues to get hit pretty good... going to be a bad rush hour on I-89, RT 2, etc as everyone tries to get out of the city.

Visibilities at BTV haven't gone above 1.5 miles at the airport since 11am this morning and they reported 1" of new snow at noon... at least another inch or two has probably fallen since then.

This wind flow is perfect for the eastern Champlain Valley and upslope region... NNW flow causes Champlain Valley Convergence as its funneled between the 5,000ft Adirondacks and 4,000ft Green Mtn Spine, and the slight westerly component adds the upslope factor. I bet BTV pulls a pretty good snowfall out of this tonight.

Very interesting afternoon here inBristol/Plymouth area of Central NH. I received about an 1" so far and it is still snowing lightly. The town plow even came through, must be bored because really didn't need to. Anyhow at 3pm I had to go up to Plymouth 6 miles or so to my north. I expected more snow there as we get downsloped and they are closer to the Southern Whites. As I went down in elevation from my house at 1100 feet to Newfound Lake at 586 feet there was less snow but still a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Drove up to Plymouth and absolutely nothing. Not even a feather dusting on the cars or ice puddles. Very strange. Even driving south to Ashland on Rt 93 nothing. As soon as I climbed in elevation over the hills to my house the snow on the ground ramped up. Perhaps the snow was just sublimating as it feel from the clouds so higher elevations got snow but valleys nothing? Brian I know you know the area, any thoughts? At least I will have a white Christmas on my hill while Plymouth stays bare unless they pick up some overnight which seems likely.

Gene

BTV area and Chittenden County continues to get hit pretty good... going to be a bad rush hour on I-89, RT 2, etc as everyone tries to get out of the city.

Visibilities at BTV haven't gone above 1.5 miles at the airport since 11am this morning and they reported 1" of new snow at noon... at least another inch or two has probably fallen since then.

This wind flow is perfect for the eastern Champlain Valley and upslope region... NNW flow causes Champlain Valley Convergence as its funneled between the 5,000ft Adirondacks and 4,000ft Green Mtn Spine, and the slight westerly component adds the upslope factor. I bet BTV pulls a pretty good snowfall out of this tonight.

You can even see the convergence in micro climate N/S wind flow in the radar returns if you look very closely.

Curious what's gonna happen on top of the Spine (Manny, MRG, 'Bush...etc). Wonder if this gets trapped to some extent like the Jan. 2-3 Blizzard of last year.

Archived