CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't think that N-S heavy band will make it to Central NH looking at the model QPF. However the low is really wound up looking at the IR Sat. I have seen really intense lows through back precip much further than forecasted and this band is making steady west progress. It will be really interesting to see how far it gets this evening.

Boy, the models are really in agreement with the Sunday/Monday's bom. For some reason I am not really excited. Burnt so bad this week I am model shy. If it comes to fruition it will be just in time to help all the business that rely on winter sports especially in NH and Maine where we have not gotten much snow.

I wouldn't think that N-S heavy band will make it to Central NH looking at the model QPF. However the low is really wound up looking at the IR Sat. I have seen really intense lows through back precip much further than forecasted and this band is making steady west progress. It will be really interesting to see how far it gets this evening.

The models aren't handling that band well at all. But I agree that it doesn't make it in here as +SN. It's already showing signs of death over S ME as it approaches the NH border.

about 2" here. getting home from work , which usually takes me 30 min, took nearly 2hrs. portland was a skating rink. but it was nice to finally see some wind-driven snow :thumbsup:

Yeah, pretty awesome and as PWMan noted in the accumulation thread it was perfectly timed to totally fook up the evening commute. Vehicles unable to drive up hills, trucks on the turnpike in ditches, multi-car accidents. Short but sweet. And I got to use my Mountain Mover, too! Don't know if what fell will melt so couldn't take the chance.

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Tuesday 12/21/2010 6:00 A.M. update: When I got home yesterday evening around 6:00 P.M. flakes were falling, and the snow has been very light since that point. Our NWS point forecast for snow was a bit higher yesterday, but currently has us down for up to 3 inches through tomorrow.

While we could always use another storm, conditions on and off piste were excellent around here over the weekend, and the snow from this event should only help. I added a couple of images from my Saturday and Sunday Bolton Valley reports below:

18DEC10I.jpg

19DEC10E.jpg

Some details from today’s 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0%

Temperature: 22.6 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

everything was great this morning. took my shower, was putting wood in the stove. saw the plow truck going by, then a big "bang". lights went out. plow guy clipped the pole and killed power but only to our house. pulling out for work I noticed the pole was snapped in half :yikes:

I guess the plow guys have to round into form with winter driving like the rest of us.

You getting more snow Jayhawk? Congrats on your accums. I am in FL visiting family and it is painful reading Brian's posts....he is about 7 or 8 miles E of me as the crow flies. Hopeful for the weekend when I'm hoping. Trying to get a convo going on the overall synoptic set up and if it is likely to trend n and w. The only good thing about the lack of snow is an extended season of walking in the woods. I don't start the walks until the bugs finish in late Sept and then it usually ends with the snow cover in early Dec. I am enjoying the walks these days.

12z NAM continues to advertise a sizeable snow event for the Greens (particularly the upslope region) with a general .5-1" of QPF tomorrow afternoon and night. It has a very widespread area of >.25" QPF across VT, NH, and ME and given the high-ratio snowfall that has been occurring in these retro events, if the NAM is anywhere close to verifying there could be some Warning criteria snowfall in spots.

I'm really liking this signal for us here in the northern Green Mtn upslope region though... also check out the QPF spread in the Whites. Big snows at Bretton Woods on the northern slope of the Presidentials, with downsloping on the SE side and a QPF hole.

f54.gif

That band yesterday looked halfway decent (25-30 dbz) as it passed over MBY, but at my distance from GYX it's probably showing what's at 5,000' or so. Not a single flake made it to the ground. Had 0.1" 5-7 AM today, maybe a bit after that but it's all mid-upper 30s now, and with very light precip even the best of snowflakes can't survive.

Here in Augusta the snow switched to --RA about 10, and the 1" snowcover (from last Wed snowband) has disappeared. Foothills forecast earlier was for 1-3" today, updated discussion cuts it to 1-2", and I suspect what we've seen is what we get. That would make 3-for-3 retro snow forecasts this month coming to naught, or nearly so. At some point the dreaded Klingon Snowshield will break down - can't come soon enough.

Archived