• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

You can even see the convergence in micro climate N/S wind flow in the radar returns if you look very closely.

Curious what's gonna happen on top of the Spine (Manny, MRG, 'Bush...etc). Wonder if this gets trapped to some extent like the Jan. 2-3 Blizzard of last year.

Yeah, there's a definite NNW-->SSE low level inflow into the Green Mountain spine, under a north to northeast mid/upper level wind flow.

We haven't really gotten much of anything so far this evening in the village... maybe a 1/4". I think we may be getting downsloped off the Chin and Smugglers Notch area, lol. The radar indicates a razor sharp edge of snow to the east of BTV along the Green Mtn Spine (also makes up the Chittenden/Washington/Lamoille county lines), then an area of little/drying precip, followed by a resurgence of echos over the actual Stowe village center. I'm located along the road towards the Lamoille/Chittenden county line (in the radar hole) from the 3-way stop/intersection seen on the map as the RT100/RT108 intersection (major roads in this area lol). I haven't been down to the village center this evening, but I wonder if they are doing better just a couple miles east and probably under the upslope influence of the 3,000ft+ Worcester range (next ridge east from the Green)

It looks like the mountain proper (especially above 2,000ft on the eastern side) should make out nicely. I doubt much happens down here at my location, and even the base of the mountain at 1,500ft... radar shows good returns consistently on the western side, with sharp dry area on the eastern side. This looks like one of those events that has no "spill over" into areas a few miles east of the spine.

Mountain at 3,700ft picked up 2" this afternoon, though. I could see 6-8" up there by noon tomorrow if it keeps up.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
647 PM EST WED DEC 22 2010

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.26    19  14  19   LGT SNOW     2.0  25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Advisory just issued. We will see how this works out. I bet BTV gets the higher end amounts and wouldn't be surprised if my location struggles unless a wind shift occurs.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH...SARANAC LAKE...

TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...

TICONDEROGA...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...

ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...

MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...

ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON

541 PM EST WED DEC 22 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...AS WELL AS

FRANKLIN...CLINTON AND ESSEX COUNTIES IN NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES. HIGHEST TOTALS ACROSS NORTH-

CENTRAL VERMONT INCLUDING THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN

MOUNTAINS.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING AND

OVERNIGHT HOURS. SNOW MAY BE MODERATE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL RESULT IN SLIPPERY TRAVEL

CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES...GENERALLY BETWEEN A HALF AND ONE MILE.

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.13” L.E.

Wednesday 12/22/2010 6:00 P.M. update: I was busy all day in my office and didn’t even have a chance to check in with NNE thread to see what was going on around the region. However, when I finally looked outside near the end of the day it was snowing in Burlington and doing a fine job of accumulating – I see that Powderfreak was doing some nice work updating that information in the thread.

My wife picked me up around 3:30 or 4:00 P.M. as we had to do a bit of holiday shopping, so I got to observe the snowfall as we were driving around the South Burlington area. The flakes were small, but it was really coming down steadily and notable accumulations would form on the car in just a few minutes. Driving around wasn’t too problematic, since the roads were in decent shape, and everyone has got their winter driving skills going by now. It definitely felt like the holidays with the steady snowfall.

On the way home on I-89 it snowed all the way until about a mile past the Bolton/Waterbury line, and then it literally shut off. We went from vigorous snow in the air and snow-packed roads to nothing in the air and nothing on the roads in the span of a few moments. There were a few tenths of snow accumulation on my car at the Waterbury Park and Ride, but that must have happened at some point earlier in the day. I was very curious to see what was happening back at the house. There was nothing in the air as we headed west back toward the Bolton/Waterbury line, and then just a bit before the Cider House Restaurant, about a mile from the house, the air was filled with snowfall, the roads were covered again, and we were back in it. I’m not sure if that gradient is still taking place, but it was very impressive, and was certainly the sharpest cutoff in snowfall I’ve seen in our area this year.

I found 1.2 inches of new snow on the snowboard at 6:00 P.M., comprised of 0.10 inches of liquid. The flakes were falling pretty hard, so even though they were small (1-3 mm) they were quickly covering the board in the minute’s worth of time that I went to check the stake. It’s still snowing and accumulating, but only so fast with the small flakes.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.0

Snow Density: 8.3%

Temperature: 27.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

Advisory just issued. We will see how this works out. I bet BTV gets the higher end amounts and wouldn't be surprised if my location struggles unless a wind shift occurs.

Got some reliable reports of 6+ along the Camels Hump region. Btv really seems like it got caught with its pants down on this one.

Oh well.

Don't say we didn't tell 'em whistle.gif

You guys definitely pointed it out the other day on the board, and it was interesting that there wasn't much discussion about it anywhere else.

Anyway, just got a call from my colleague Stephen and he said they had already picked up 6 inches at their place in South Burlington by around 8:00 P.M. - he had to go and clear the driveway. Being right along the spine, it looks like we are right on that sharp cutoff that you mentioned Scott.

We were all set to head to Smugg's tomorrow for some turns because we've got some free tickets to use up before Christmas, but after talking to Stephen I'm wondering if we'll go to Bolton instead. If this setup is similar to the event from early January, Bolton on the west side of the spine might do a lot better than Smugg's.

We'll check the snow reports in the morning and make the ultimate decision.

Scott what would you expect based on what you're seeing now?

You guys definitely pointed it out the other day on the board, and it was interesting that there wasn't much discussion about it anywhere else.

Anyway, just got a call from my colleague Stephen and he said they had already picked up 6 inches at their place in South Burlington by around 8:00 P.M. - he had to go and clear the driveway. Being right along the spine, it looks like we are right on that sharp cutoff that you mentioned Scott.

We were all set to head to Smugg's tomorrow for some turns because we've got some free tickets to use up before Christmas, but after talking to Stephen I'm wondering if we'll go to Bolton instead. If this setup is similar to the event from early January, Bolton on the west side of the spine might do a lot better than Smugg's.

We'll check the snow reports in the morning and make the ultimate decision.

Scott what would you expect based on what you're seeing now?

I'm about to head off to bed as I gotta get up at 4:45 to head up to the mountain, but I'd bet Bolton takes this even home. This wind flow is perfect for the Camels Hump region and I bet that mtn wins the sweepstakes, but since there's no ski area on it... Bolton area will probably be next up, followed by Smuggs. Given the sharp gradient, I doubt the eastern slope sees much of anything. What this means for me at Stowe is probably not much in the base area, with a sharp gradient up high. I could see something like 2" at 1,500ft and 7" at 3,600ft on the eastern slope.... with maybe an inch at 800ft due to downsloping.

Quite a fascinating little event. I bet a large area of Chittenden County and immediate border areas come close to warning criteria snowfall. I love the meso-scale features of this region even when I'm getting relatively shafted, haha.

One of the sharpest spine oriented gradients we've seen in a little while... you can certainly tell the geographical spine follows the political boundaries as well.

The trough is definitely over performing. Forecast here was for 2-4. I just went outside and we are very close to 4, eyeballing it. snow grains mixed with the light snow right now. Looks like I won't add much more on radar but still a nice event this evening. It's a wet snow as well so this was a pleasant surprise.

GYX has revised accum up (by an inch) to 2-4". Had 1.8" (on 0.16" LE) at 9 PM, after 16 hr constant -SN. However, the 4 hr centered on noon added nothing and may have compacted the morning share. At least half the total came after I got home at 5:45, my normal 45 min commute taking 1:15, due minly to white-knuckled drivers - roads were greasy but not all that bad. Did see one accident just north of Long Lake, probably a left-turner rearended by an inattentive slider. AUG reported 2.5" at 5:30, and Sidney/Belgrade had a bit more than that as I drove thru. As came down the north side of Mile Hill the roads cleared up and the snow depth dropped dramatically - probably more than an inch less at the bottom than at the top, and not elevational as there was even more in Belgrade.

First time I've recorded snow depth of over 1" this season, and I'm guessing we'll end up with about a 3" event, more than I expected. I'm also expecting little to nothing frm Sun-Mon, though the fact that I have to drive to PWM and back on Monday might serve to draw the storm in.

I'm about to head off to bed as I gotta get up at 4:45 to head up to the mountain, but I'd bet Bolton takes this even home. This wind flow is perfect for the Camels Hump region and I bet that mtn wins the sweepstakes, but since there's no ski area on it... Bolton area will probably be next up, followed by Smuggs. Given the sharp gradient, I doubt the eastern slope sees much of anything. What this means for me at Stowe is probably not much in the base area, with a sharp gradient up high. I could see something like 2" at 1,500ft and 7" at 3,600ft on the eastern slope.... with maybe an inch at 800ft due to downsloping.

Quite a fascinating little event. I bet a large area of Chittenden County and immediate border areas come close to warning criteria snowfall. I love the meso-scale features of this region even when I'm getting relatively shafted, haha.

One of the sharpest spine oriented gradients we've seen in a little while... you can certainly tell the geographical spine follows the political boundaries as well.

Yup shaft indeed. Just got back from my son's hockey game in Essex (beat MMU 6-1, yay!). Interstate was totally unplowed, even the right lane. I told my wife that the precip has been going like this all day and once we get to Waterbury it's going to stop dead. Sure enough, instant shut off. She was amazed. But I had been watching it all day. I hate getting shafted. But if the mtn gets in on the action I'm ok with it.

Starting to get some nice dendrites mixing in at the office in Gray with the temp down to 29. Piling up quick...just over 2" now. Will likely have several reports of 4-5" north and northeast of PWM by morning the way the radar looks.

Stop my downslope please. This is getting ridiculous.

Picked 2" yesterday of velvet. 3" overnight, better fluff factor but still nice and dense, at least compared to the stackable dendrites we had been getting.

Can see 2 miles across the valley now but the lights on the Mt are still covered and it sounds like the wind is starting to get its act together. Driving over Sheffield heights last night had good winter conditions, whiteout, no lanes, but the passing lane was notable by the 4-5 inches piled up, passing loggers was more a kin to xc skiing than driving.

Yup shaft indeed. Just got back from my son's hockey game in Essex (beat MMU 6-1, yay!). Interstate was totally unplowed, even the right lane. I told my wife that the precip has been going like this all day and once we get to Waterbury it's going to stop dead. Sure enough, instant shut off. She was amazed. But I had been watching it all day. I hate getting shafted. But if the mtn gets in on the action I'm ok with it.

Yeah, not much happened in town last night... at all. And what did fall is blowing all over the place. When I left my place at 5:15 the moon was dimly visible through the flurries. Two miles up the Mountain Road I ran into a wall of snow coming up Harlow Hill. From the Toll House base all the way to the Mansfield base it was close to blizzard conditions with wind and heavy falling snow. Amazingly sharp gradient on the east side of the Spine in this one. Looks like 2-3" overnight at 1,500ft but that's just a guess as its blown all over the place. Groomers reporting at least 4-5" up top and I would expect the upper elevations picked up a good shot of snow. Will find out here shortly when the sun comes up.

It was funny though because the snowmaking control dispatcher told me it was the same when he came in at midnight... very light flurries in the village then wall of snow from Toll House on up to the Mansfield base area.

I see Sugarbush on the east side of Mt Ellen and Lincoln Peak is dealing with the same thing this morning... they are reporting 1" at the base and 5" at the summit. Definitely a sharp, sharp gradient here on the east side and it wouldn't surprise me if above 3,000ft picked up over 6" while down at 1,500ft we end up with half that.

Cool, I was wondering how you did. We have another member from Bath who posted last night, incidentally. I picked up only 0.8" ... another fractional result. There is a nice batch working its way towards me, though.

Wow, another member from Bath? Cool! Do you remember his handle?

Well, I hope you get clobbered by the storm late Sunday into Monday if it pans out for us.

Event totals: 3.8” Snow/0.32” L.E.

Thursday 12/23/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The snow fell overnight as generally a continuation of the small flakes we’ve seen, so a decent amount of liquid was in the 2.1 inches I found on the board this morning. The average snow density here for the 6:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. period was 9.0% H2O, so this snow should add a nice shot to the snowpack in locations where it’s come down. As of this morning’s totals, there’s been about a third of an inch of liquid from this event at this location. Flake size was up to the 3-5 mm range at observation time and the snow has been topped off with bit of fluffier material, although snowfall is now very light.

Below is a north to south list for 24-hour snow accumulations at some of the Vermont ski resorts:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 5”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 2”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.1

Snow Density: 9.0%

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Picked up a little over an inch here and now have a whopping 4" on the ground. Looks like we'll see a little more today before this puppy finally wrings itself out.

Also, I see it might be time to start paying attention to the Sunday/Monday time period, eh?

On vacation now till 1/3/11! :guitar:

Wow, I thought you would do a little better than an inch. We got 5 or 6 inches at my place in Barre Town. This is the first event that has over-performed (at least in terms of my expectations) in my area in a long time. As others mentioned I did notice a sharp gradient, there is barely an inch here in downtown Montpelier.

That's pretty much in line with what PF and I were both thinking. I suspect amnts are higher at the upper elevations.

Event totals: 3.8” Snow/0.32” L.E.

Thursday 12/23/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The snow fell overnight as generally a continuation of the small flakes we’ve seen, so a decent amount of liquid was in the 2.1 inches I found on the board this morning. The average snow density here for the 6:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. period was 9.0% H2O, so this snow should add a nice shot to the snowpack in locations where it’s come down. As of this morning’s totals, there’s been about a third of an inch of liquid from this event at this location. Flake size was up to the 3-5 mm range at observation time and the snow has been topped off with bit of fluffier material, although snowfall is now very light.

Below is a north to south list for 24-hour snow accumulations at some of the Vermont ski resorts:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 5”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 2”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.1

Snow Density: 9.0%

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Skied yesterday afternoon. lots of sow at the mountain, nothing in th evillage of Stowe. Had to drive to Burlington last night; Burlington had a couple of inches, but as soon as I got off I89 and headed up 100 towards Stowe there was nothing. Yesterday's accumulation in my backyard was 1.2"

Wow, I thought you would do a little better than an inch. We got 5 or 6 inches at my place in Barre Town. This is the first event that has over-performed (at least in terms of my expectations) in my area in a long time. As others mentioned I did notice a sharp gradient, there is barely an inch here in downtown Montpelier.

That much, eh? Good for you folks. We just haven't gotten a good set-up for this locale all season. We're not even getting nickeled & dimed--more like pennied & ha'-pennied. ;)

That much, eh? Good for you folks. We just haven't gotten a good set-up for this locale all season. We're not even getting nickeled & dimed--more like pennied & ha'-pennied. ;)

I was surprised too. I shoveled 3 or 4 inches off the deck last night and there was another 2 again this morning. We haven't done well with these retro type deals either.

Archived