• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

Yes, I am watching it on radar lab hd, Its legit, 18dbz band that looks to be just to my east, The euro is running now and it actually has it, But don't remeber what run it was over the last couple of days, But one of the models showed it being over us for about 6 hrs............ :weight_lift:

Great .. I have a blob about 7 miles southwest of my house. Really neat how it blossomed out of nowhere. Might be seeing some flakes here in downtown PWM before long.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 09/10 season went into the toilet after the MLK event. Therefore, I am using that day this year as the kickoff to returned normalcy. I don't have my numbers with me, but it'll be interesting to see what my snowfall total is for that 365-day period. I'm not sure it's even 20".

I am at about 27" since the MLK event last year. not such a good 350 day stretch lol

Well I almost hit average in 06-07 despite having 7.5" on the season Feb 1 so we're at least ahead of that. There's a lot of January to go. The LR offers up a possible SWFE so maybe we can pick up 4"+ with that before the real deal cold tries to work its way in.

i appreciate your optimism. I just need 10"+ so I can get out on the trails.

One of the oddest accumulation maps I've ever come across ...

lol, that pretty well sums it up! Couldn't paint that any better if you were a masochist trying to. The next couple days are going to be radar torture -- plus we'll have to listen to some of the SNE folks whine about this not turning into a Top 10 HECS for them.

lol, that pretty well sums it up! Couldn't paint that any better if you were a masochist trying to. The next couple days are going to be radar torture -- plus we'll have to listen to some of the SNE folks whine about this not turning into a Top 10 HECS for them.

One good thing out of all this is i won't have to invest any more time this weekend following the next 10 days of sunny and cold

One of the oddest accumulation maps I've ever come across ...

really looks like someone put alot of work on that map! wonder if it will verify

seems the only place it's snowing now is in the hole too

wmur has 3-6" snh and svt and extreme sw maine 1-3" for the rest of cne

both those tv maps put me in 3-6" and my nws forecast has me for 1-3" + <1/2" and <1" whatever that adds up to.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get 1"

really looks like someone put alot of work on that map! wonder if it will verify

seems the only place it's snowing now is in the hole too

wmur has 3-6" snh and svt and extreme sw maine 1-3" for the rest of cne

both those tv maps put me in 3-6" and my nws forecast has me for 1-3" + <1/2" and <1" whatever that adds up to.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get 1"

You aren't crazy, I don't get the 3-6" painted for mby. The Norlun to the southwest is going to lose all its dynamics long before it rotates up here, and unless there's a second trough / convergence zone popping up that I don't see, I don't see more than 1" at the most here.

Actually alright with me, 3" of high-ratio snow over 24+ hours is nothing more than a windshield-washer-fluid saleperson's dream

Saw maybe 100 flakes about 2 PM in Hancock Cty - Near Flanders Pond, south of Schoodic Mt. (Great day in the woods.)

Looks like an extended stretch of cool and dry, and not as cool as previously expected - 12z gfs lost the frigid temps for 1/20 and following, barely below seasonal temps now. Maybe that's an outlier.

I split the snow season halves between 1/31 and 2/1; that's very close to Farmington's average halfway point for accum, and convenient. And while it's true 2006-07 finished with good snow (7" above my avg) after the awful beginning, it took Farmington's snowiest April in 118 yr records (36", nearly a foot more than #2) to make that happen. Wouldn't bet on a repeat.

I don't know if it's all that early any longer. I count DJFand M as winter months, so by that reckoning we're about a third of the way in. Agree with snowfall average - that's a pipe dream unless Ray's epic March comes to fruition.

How are you guys doing snowfall-to-date relative to normal? It has been a bit sparse at times but I was talking to NZucker about this recently how BTV is just above normal to date. Yesterday they were like 2" above normal-to-date and 8" above normal since December 1. They'll probably add to that with this little system. The only reason they aren't more above normal is because of the crappy November... but BTV airport in the Champlain Valley pulled 28" in December.

I'm curious as to what J.Spin is relative to the past 5 seasons or so that he's lived at his location... I don't think snowfall has been all that bad in NW New England, and the general 15-30" (isolated higher amounts) from the early December upslope event really helped this area. Have had solid snow cover since December 5th. Though there does seem to be an area in central VT, central NH, up through the ME coastal plain that has been having a harder time getting it to snow... the Boxing Day storm really helped that corridor.

Hiked Mansfield this afternoon.. the clouds gradually lowered by late in the afternoon there were flurries. Very light snow on the drive back to Waitsfield. It's taking a breather now, still hoping for 3 or 4 here in the valley more up top. The winds were impressive on Mansfield, there were calm winds the whole way up and then the summit dome had something like 30mph gusting 40.

My 19.4" is about 8.3" below my 13-yr avg thru Jan 7. If the current forecast for te next week verifies I'll be another 4.5" down. At least my record worst 12-month period (cherry-picked but using whole months only) isn't threatened. From 2/1/06 thru 1/31/07 I measured a grand total of 26.9". That's 60" under my average and 0.6" beneath PWM's least snowy winter on record (79-80.) In contrast, the period 3/1/07 thru 2/29/08 produced 178" IMBY (but none on Leap Year Day.)

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Friday 1/7/2011 10:00 P.M. update: For much of the day in Burlington, I could see the low clouds and snow flirting with the mountains, especially those south of I-89 as forecast, but the snow never seemed to get too serious. A bit before 5:00 P.M. however, snow actually started to fall in Burlington; the flakes were very small but the snowfall was steady. The snowfall actually tapered off once I reached Williston to the west, and only rematerialized once I passed Richmond and headed into the mountains. The snowfall disappeared one more time in the Bolton flats area before returning around the Bolton Waterbury line as I approached the house.

In the evening we popped over to the outdoor ice rink in the center of town and it was a classic scene with the snow coming down. I kept humming the Charlie Brown Christmas song from the skating scene to myself. The snowfall was steady, but the flakes very small – I found the flakes to be in the 1 mm range or even smaller. Even the small flakes looked cool in the rink lights though; I took several pictures and added one below:

07JAN11C.jpg

Once back at the house I was in no rush to check the snowboard since the snow was accumulating so slowly, but I finally decided to take a measurement at 10:00 P.M. as the flake size seemed to be bumping up a bit to the 3 mm range. With such small flakes I wasn’t too surprised to find that the snow was a fairly standard 10% H2O. Some details from the 10:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0%

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

How are you guys doing snowfall-to-date relative to normal? It has been a bit sparse at times but I was talking to NZucker about this recently how BTV is just above normal to date. Yesterday they were like 2" above normal-to-date and 8" above normal since December 1. They'll probably add to that with this little system. The only reason they aren't more above normal is because of the crappy November... but BTV airport in the Champlain Valley pulled 28" in December.

I'm curious as to what J.Spin is relative to the past 5 seasons or so that he's lived at his location... I don't think snowfall has been all that bad in NW New England, and the general 15-30" (isolated higher amounts) from the early December upslope event really helped this area. Have had solid snow cover since December 5th. Though there does seem to be an area in central VT, central NH, up through the ME coastal plain that has been having a harder time getting it to snow... the Boxing Day storm really helped that corridor.

I mentioned a little about this in a message on Tuesday (1/4). At that point we had just passed 50 inches of snowfall for the season, but we were still 15 inches below my calculated average. The clipper helped out some, and now we’re at 55.5 inches and only about 12 inches below average. That’s still just keeping pace for the most part, not really getting ahead, and certainly not on a 2007-2008 La Nina pace (97.2 inches by this date). Depending on how the next few days play out though, we could make a little more ground, we’ll just have to see.

For reference, the running seasonal snowfall averages I have for dates in this timeframe are as follows:

January 4th 65.4”

January 5th 65.9”

January 6th 66.4”

January 7th 67.7”

January 8th 70.2”

January 9th 70.9”

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.13” L.E.

Saturday 1/8/2011 6:00 A.M. update: Consistent with the slightly larger flake sizes (1 to 3 mm vs. ~1 mm earlier) that I’ve been seeing as we moved toward the overnight period, the snow density is down a touch from 10.0% H2O to 8.9% H2O with the 6:00 A.M. analysis. However, as I was finishing up my observations and coming inside, the flake size really started to increase, with some flakes up to ¾ inch in diameter. I wasn’t sure if we were moving into some upslope precipitation or not, but looking at the radar, it seems that we are actually getting hit by that moisture stream from the south, which has finally rotated enough that we are in the flow:

08JAN11A.gif

08JAN11B.gif

We are well downstream in the flow, but we’ll see how much moisture makes it this far. Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.3

Snow Density: 8.9%

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Mornin'!

1.7" new here as of 7:15am. LE of 0.1".

Last night, it was snowing tiny little flakes with the stars visible but fuzzy. This morning, the cloud deck is much heavier and it's snowing at a moderate clip as I type, with good dendrites. Looks nice out there with the trees all whitened and nary a breath of wind.

Now up to 22.6" for the season. :rolleyes:

woke up to some good cloud cover thinking I might see some flakes. nope.

lol ... you were optimistic! I got what I was expecting. Looks like a snow band entering York County, might get a fractional amount if it makes it up here. My eyes are cast towards the midweek event. I know Dryslot is not enamored about Miller A systems but at least we stand a chance of accumulating snow. It was nice to see CT get raked last night and read all the happy people reporting it but I'd like to do some reporting myself.

lol ... you were optimistic! I got what I was expecting. Looks like a snow band entering York County, might get a fractional amount if it makes it up here. My eyes are cast towards the midweek event. I know Dryslot is not enamored about Miller A systems but at least we stand a chance of accumulating snow. It was nice to see CT get raked last night and read all the happy people reporting it but I'd like to do some reporting myself.

Overnight modeling looked good on the weds storm next week, Actually, The Euro was a perfect weenie track for us here with the low hugging the coast and tracking over CC into the GOM the the GFS was a scraper right now but that is a good spot for it at the moment.

But this far out in the bullseye is not where i really would like to be, I am still very leary of Miller A's more times then not they don't work out, But maybe we break the streak this time......... :thumbsup:

Archived