• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

Gfs is a nice hit for people south of the pike. The trends have been worse today, there's no denying that. Still 4 days away so a long time to get better or worse.

My precip type fears have essentially done a 180. That vortex is strong and I think we do run the risk of a fringe crap job more than precip issues.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that what we are talking about all day today?   That's sort of what we've been discussing the past 3 days, how far north the best snow gets, lol.

Well there's some here who think New England is going to get whiffed..and there's others who think they are only getting an inch or 2.

When you've been watching the wx as long as we have..you know how these systems always turn out. You get hand wringing and worry over suppression and the bigger worry ends up how far north the pelting gets

Well there's some here who think New England is going to get whiffed..and there's others who think they are only getting an inch or 2.

When you've been watching the wx as long as we have..you know how these systems always turn out. You get hand wringing and worry over suppression and the bigger worry ends up how far north the pelting gets

Right now the trend is suppression. You'll probably do well though.

Until the governing dynamics, now situated still between California and Hawaii ... gets solidly sampled by the physical aspect of the detection grid, this thing may as well be an unmanned fire hose in the models.  

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that 1.5 days from now we have something much more important on the docket, vs nothing at all.  That's pretty much where we stand on this event.  

Until the governing dynamics, now situated still between California and Hawaii ... gets solidly sampled by the physical aspect of the detection grid, this thing may as well be an unmanned fire hose in the models.  

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that 1.5 days from now we have something much more important on the docket, vs nothing at all.  That's pretty much where we stand on this event.  

Love the unmanned fire hose analogy!

Tip, not being a prick but you say this every storm, do you have any links that say modeling improves to a meaningful degree once the storms are on land?

This threat has been tracked since like 180 hours...can you imagine people going crazy over a 96 hour solution on an overrunning event in 2008? :lol:

The new age of impatience is upon us. Give it another day at the minimum before trying to narrow your goalposts.

That cold means business. It can be an enemy.

The supplemental products under GFS run on weather.cod.edu are an awesome tool for running model comparisons, 18Z is actually further North than this mornings runs, the 250 jet streak in NNE is increased and lifted more North, 5 h pV is more north and west, its very close to being much bigger, but peeps discounting .6 qpf in this airmass with some really incredible soundings are crazy. snow lovers being done with snow in FEB?? Snow watchers would be a better term I guess.

Ginxy, you need the lift too.

i looked at 7H Vv's not bad, I mean .78 qpf in this air mass ain't bad Scott. Isentrophic lift with some PVA overhead, not a slammer 3 per hour but like I said I'd hit it. could it be better, hell yea but it just might be, WAA is often underdone in this situation. As will said down to 96 so lots to look at, will say firmly Sat afternoon whether to bite or bail. I know I love snowy days, snowy ground and am definitely not done with winter.

This threat has been tracked since like 180 hours...can you imagine people going crazy over a 96 hour solution on an overrunning event in 2008? :lol:

The new age of impatience is upon us. Give it another day at the minimum before trying to narrow your goalposts.

Haha, yeah its why I was talking about wishing the models only ran to 5 days at most, haha.  You sit and see these storms for like days on end only to find out its still a week out. 

The supplemental products under GFS run on weather.cod.edu are an awesome tool for running model comparisons, 18Z is actually further North than this mornings runs, the 250 jet streak in NNE is increased and lifted more North, 5 h pV is more north and west, its very close to being much bigger, but peeps discounting .6 qpf in this airmass with some really incredible soundings are crazy. snow lovers being done with snow in FEB?? Snow watchers would be a better term I guess.

What does this have to do with the storm occurring?  I haven't heard anyone say they wish they don't get snow, lol. 

Archived