Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or it could continue trending south...

No it couldn't. It hasn't been trending south. Anyone that follows wx knows that southern stream events always come north the final 36 hours and that the PV is never as strong as moidelled. In essence what you'll see is the precip/qpf shield well north of where it's modeled today..there's going to be fronto bands..the whole nine. I actually loved this run for the stated reasons.

Sign me up. Still plenty of time though, and the EURO making such drastic changes shows that it's far from locked in at the moment.

That's actually about the biggest jump I've seen all winter on a Euro run inside of 5 days. It could either mean its off its rocker or that its going to trend even more.

High is impressive to the north, but southern stream systems in March don't usually like suppression. A battle of forces.

Gonna find my low dews, get suppressed real tight

Gonna get me some sublimation delight

When the Euro gives VT cirrus then you know it's right

Powderfreak will get another clear, cold, dark night

Snow grains in flight

Sublimation delight

Yeahhhhhh sublimation delight

Beautiful :lol:

No matter where this tracks, look at those progged Td's...who ever is on the northern side of this could see a nice virga storm if northerly flow in the boundary layer drills arctic dry air under the WAA aloft.

No it couldn't. It hasn't been trending south. Anyone that follows wx knows that southern stream events always come north the final 36 hours and that the PV is never as strong as moidelled. In essence what you'll see is the precip/qpf shield well north of where it's modeled today..there's going to be fronto bands..the whole nine. I actually loved this run for the stated reasons.

Yes it did go S.  Call it a trend, call it what you will.  12z yesterday jackpotted CNE, 00z last night jackpotted around ORH, 12z today jackpotted LI.

Beautiful :lol:

No matter where this tracks, look at those progged Td's...who ever is on the northern side of this could see a nice virga storm if northerly flow in the boundary layer drills arctic dry air under the WAA aloft.

I was just thinking that I could envision a 1/21 redux of sorts.

I feel pretty good about this one for us....it's right where we want it. All those modeled Philly storms this winter have been correcting 200-300 miles north at the last minute, so we are golden ;)

And we were questioned over our thoughts a couple days back, Not our first rodeo............... :lol:

I was just thinking that I could envision a 1/21 redux of sorts.

It just maybe more frustrating on the northern side if that dry air is there, especially lower elevations. Sort of like radar looks good but you are seeing really tiny, half-sublimated flakes blowing around and taking their sweet time accumulating. The usual arctic cold snow with drier low levels.

Yes it could. Not likely but watch the strength and location of the PV.

I'm not sure why there is such a penchant for talking in the past tense about these systems when they are still 4 days out. I hope people can try and keep it a bit more scientific in these threat threads.

I'm not sure people are quite grasping how much ensemble spread there is...not only within a homogenous ensemble suite, but multi-model ensemble too. Ukie was way amped at 12z...while it was suppressed at 00z. There's some issues going on in dealing with this big offshore southern stream system currently west of California, and the evoluation of the polar vortex split to the north and how those two interact.

That's actually about the biggest jump I've seen all winter on a Euro run inside of 5 days. It could either mean its off its rocker or that its going to trend even more.

High is impressive to the north, but southern stream systems in March don't usually like suppression. A battle of forces.

Ya a sizable jump to say the least, especially considering it's inside 100 hours. As always, the ensembles will give us a better idea.

Regardless of where this ends up, this seems like the type of storm where there could be an extreme north cutoff..something to keep an eye on.

I'm not sure why there is such a penchant for talking in the past tense about these systems when they are still 4 days out. I hope people can try and keep it a bit more scientific in these threat threads.

I'm not sure people are quite grasping how much ensemble spread there is...not only within a homogenous ensemble suite, but multi-model ensemble too. Ukie was way amped at 12z...while it was suppressed at 00z. There's some issues going on in dealing with this big offshore southern stream system currently west of California, and the evoluation of the polar vortex split to the north and how those two interact.

Where was the 12z UK?

Archived