joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS/GEFS are further south than all the foreign guidance. It seems to have a penchant for that on southern stream systems. My guess is reality ends up north of that model suite. Details still to be determined though.

Like clockwork.

The GFS' propensity to surpress systems born of the sw stream is alkin to the NAM's tendency to underestimate the low level jet in those sw flow events of 2008 and 2009.

I remember that the NYC weenies kept on having the football pulled from them. :lol:

Like clockwork.

The GFS' propensity to surpress systems born of the sw stream is alkin to the NAM's tendency to underestimate the low level jet in those sw flow events of 2008 and 2009.

I remember that the NYC weenies kept on having the football pulled from them. :lol:

Yes...I'm betting it has the same bias in this storm as well. Beware of the southern stream juice.

We'll see how it evolves...the way that PV elongates to our north will have a say too.

Looks like it could be a bit of a fluff bomb too. Very cold through the column (ridiculously cold for an early March storm) - I could see some areas getting some solid ratios out of this one. 

Ugh..was hoping this would have some meat to it and staying power. Nothing like a foot of fluff gone in 2 days in the Morch sun

Ugh..was hoping this would have some meat to it and staying power. Nothing like a foot of fluff gone in 2 days in the Morch sun

Well we could get 0.80" of qpf and still have solid ratios...it would just mean a lot fo amounts of 15-18" that compress to like 8" a couple days later.

I'm hoping we don't get 0.35" of qpf for 7-8" of fluff....that stuff gets annihilated in about 24 hours. As long as this has any sort of amplitude to it, it should have a lot of moisture with it given the origin....we just don't want to see something really strung out which inhibits the moisture advection.

Looks like it could be a bit of a fluff bomb too. Very cold through the column (ridiculously cold for an early March storm) - I could see some areas getting some solid ratios out of this one. 

Similar to the St Patty's day event of 2007 in that respect...very cold, though that one was more of a swfe event.

Cf got to mby.

Yup, Looked better at H5 but the end results up here did not change, But it did bump the qpf up further north in CT from the 06z run, I think its heading in a better direction anyways

It's only going to come north so much....but for the last 24 hrs suppression has been the least of my worries...especially down here.  You can see the writing on the wall with these.

Well we could get 0.80" of qpf and still have solid ratios...it would just mean a lot fo amounts of 15-18" that compress to like 8" a couple days later.

I'm hoping we don't get 0.35" of qpf for 7-8" of fluff....that stuff gets annihilated in about 24 hours. As long as this has any sort of amplitude to it, it should have a lot of moisture with it given the origin....we just don't want to see something really strung out which inhibits the moisture advection.

Yea, its all about the qpf, not the snowfall amounts.

QPF is obviously correlated to water content.

I always thought that southern stream systems don't have the high ratios with them and tend to bring more juice with them especially aloft

I always thought that southern stream systems don't have the high ratios with them and tend to bring more juice with them especially aloft

You can still have higher ratios if you are in the deformation zone, it's just that these tend to be warmer and more juicier systems with ratios less than your typical nrn stream system. The euro is just that. Probably a little better than 10:1 ratios, but also 1-1.2" QPF. The GFS is so cold because the system is further south.

It's only going to come north so much....but for the last 24 hrs suppression has been the least of my worries...especially down here.  You can see the writing on the wall with these.

That is true, The pv was more elongated this run up north as it was stretched out more and compressed out west, I don't think there was ever a question for your area as far as seeing precip go, I would like to see the s/w a little stronger coming out of the southwest so it gains a little more latitude before it gets squashed out to the south when it reaches the coast, The key is the positioning of that PV up north

You can still have higher ratios if you are in the deformation zone, it's just that these tend to be warmer and more juicier systems with ratios less than your typical nrn stream system. The euro is just that. Probably a little better than 10:1 ratios, but also 1-1.2" QPF. The GFS is so cold because the system is further south.

Screams GFS bias to me.  Tends to overdo the northern stream and squashes systems.

Nice run, keep juicing it up, keep consolidating, slowly coming around to a euro solution, excellent ratios, silly ass cold, whats not to like, drifts and the Arctic with record breaking cold. Save the cement bomb for the amped up Gulf storm . Game on

Its all gravy to me, as I have had my  fill of snow.

Great call on the season by you and and jerry.

Only contention that I would have is that 1994 wasn't as kind to the s coast and mid atl.  in terms of snowfall.

Archived