• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

My hunch from the beginning is there was significantly more risk this ended up south and I'm still holding to it, I do think it's going to end up more north than the 18z GFS shows, the 06z GFS was definitely a hiccup and it's very possible the 18z is too

i think (not sure) but the orientation and/or positioning  of the polar vortex wil really decide how far north precip gets.... but if we can get that Polar vortex more SW and flow alligned for SW-NE  i would think models that show this give precip a better shot at hitting SNE with some decent impact /accums like CMC and ukmet to a degree.

i mean look at how flat the flow is at 5h  on 12z gfs at  12z monday compare with the cmc with polar vortex positioned more SW....w other reliable modeling seems a bit in the middle wrt 12z mon 5h flow.  little changes in that orientation as was mentioned seems to mean alot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think (not sure) but the orientation and/or positioning  of the polar vortex wil really decide how far north precip gets.... but if we can get that Polar vortex more SW and flow alligned for SW-NE  i would think models that show this give precip a better shot at hitting SNE with some decent impact /accums like CMC and ukmet to a degree.

i mean look at how flat the flow is at 5h  on 12z gfs at  12z monday compare with the cmc with polar vortex positioned more SW....w other reliable modeling seems a bit in the middle wrt 12z mon 5h flow.  little changes in that orientation as was mentioned seems to mean alot

Yes it's not just the PV itself..it's the orientation and any lobe of vorticity coming SE. But those are all inherent risks if the PV is nearby. 

I can't believe how different the mesos are from the globals. Maybe we'll just have an initial overrunning and then it pushes SE. That was hinted at yesterday too. Or, the mesos are on Toronto mayor type crack...which is possible too.

that storm near California looks very potent and is anomalous to say the least. im not so sure this southern stream vort gets sheared out that some models say. 00z model suite is going to be pretty telling, if they're isn't more marked jog north then I would be concerned.

?

6z GFS got the mixing line up to Manhattan, 18z GFS has largely a miss north of me. Most outlets have 8 to 12 or 6 to 12 up to Boston at least now, seems like enough of a sharp cutoff on the north end for that to miss if the south trend continues. I think personally it's a burp but with the way this winters gone who knows.

6z GFS got the mixing line up to Manhattan, 18z GFS has largely a miss north of me. Most outlets have 8 to 12 or 6 to 12 up to Boston at least now, seems like enough of a sharp cutoff on the north end for that to miss if the south trend continues. I think personally it's a burp but with the way this winters gone who knows.

Challenging forecast for sure (or perhaps not if the south trend continues on the 00z model suite).

Harvey's map? Not looking good tonight.

I don't know what the phuck to think.

Will be interesting to see if the GGEM/UK hold serve. NAM is still irrelevant right now and 18Z GFS tends to continue the same trend as the 12z run,so I'd toss that. So that leaves us with 12z GFS/12z Euro vs the 12z GGEM and 12z UK. If things stand that way by the end of the 0z runs,ride the EURO/GFS. at this point,I'd definitely still be saying snow likely for Dorchester, but instead of snow I'd call it snow showers or light snow.

Sent from my VS980 4G

00z nam looks pretty wet to tell you the truth at 33 compared to 18z

There could still well be an ok front end dump despite a S trend.   Nothing epic but a few inches for many in SNE.

I'll take any accumulating snow over dry and cold.  The glacier out here is looking a little worn and in need of a refresher.

00z NAM has the low off California going from 980 to 1005 mb in 24 hours. 

A couple posts had stated that with such a strong storm, warm cored, that it would take a while to wind down, is 24 hours too soon?

As everyone says it is the NAM, but thoughts on the dramatic wind down in 24 hours.

That front leading wave idea has been on the meso models...but its hard to trust it yet until global models jump on board.

That might be the easier way to get decent snows in this if the main shortwave keeps crapping out on us with each run. Either way, its an interesting convoluted setup.

Archived