Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing people pay attention to them still.

I was almost temped to give them like 10% credit this morning....almost. Glad I didn't.  Pretty sad when you are less than 48hrs out and they complete sh*t on themselves. Not a solid one either...I'm talking like Chinese food after a night of Jack Daniels type sh*t.

It's amazing people pay attention to them still.

It could be equated in many ways to rubbernecking. People know it's bad to look, but you just can't help but slow down to take a peek, even though you know there isn't going to be anything positive to see.

I give the peeps in our subforum a lot of credit this winter. The NAM was treated as a farce the whole season, the DGEX was barely mentioned, the JMA was only jokingly referenced, and we've all finally tossed the SREFs.

I think my biggest disappointment of the model world right now is how useless the SREFs are.  We used to use those all the time on the Eastern forum, though I don't remember using them much last season or this season.  They were usually one of those "good" ensembles that folks wanted to be on their side to feel confident.  Now no one cares at all.

I think my biggest disappointment of the model world right now is how useless the SREFs are.  We used to use those all the time on the Eastern forum, though I don't remember using them much last season or this season.  They were usually one of those "good" ensembles that folks wanted to be on their side to feel confident.  Now no one cares at all.

every single event has turned into a nowcast is whats the saddest

i believe you have stated publicly that you use blends and the NAM being part of that blend? If not , smart move. I do think it did excellent with the convective Windex

I do find the NAM useful in some situations... This situation not being one of them. Complex synoptic interaction 48+ hours out is not exactly the NAM's strong suit.

The SREFs went through an upgrade a year or two ago that really has made them struggle in a lot of our winter setups. Unfortunately that gives us oneless reliable piece of guidance in the "inside of 60 hour" range.

There was a period in about 2000-2011 when they really were performing well after an upgrade in 2007-2008 or somewhere thereabouts.

The SREFs went through an upgrade a year or two ago that really has made them struggle in a lot of our winter setups. Unfortunately that gives us oneless reliable piece of guidance in the "inside of 60 hour" range.

There was a period in about 2000-2011 when they really were performing well after an upgrade in 2007-2008 or somewhere thereabouts.

They performed remarkably well this winter vs last winter up until the storm that hit SNE 2 weeks ago, since then however they have been bad with just about every system.  The Euro too seems to have gone back to sucking after it had that 1 month period where it did well.

Actually  nice to see the areas east of DC hit for once this winter. They've been screwed.

Funny how March 1980 was all over the analogs about a wee to 10 days ago in this time period....March 1980 had a big "SE of DC" Special...crushed E VA/RIC. Not all that dissimilar to this one.

Should be a nice day Monday on the GFS.

lol that fell apart really pretty quickly.

To think this started off jackpotting me by the Canadian border last Monday, and by Saturday it's a DCA/BWI event.

These PVs and the cold has meant business this year. I know I've poo-pood a lot of systems this year but all for the same reason, go cold and if a PV is in the area, go south.

Funny how March 1980 was all over the analogs about a wee to 10 days ago in this time period....March 1980 had a big "SE of DC" Special...crushed E VA/RIC. Not all that dissimilar to this one.

The 1 out of 30 times where the PV will squash a srn stream system...lol.

Archived