joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed you get irritable when people don't specifically mention isolated hilltops in NE CT. Sometimes saying that you favor SE areas means just that, doesn't need much further clarification. And you could say that it will snow to the NW without suggesting everybody gets advisory amounts, otherwise people who don't follow closely or don't understand might actually believe that too.

I get irritable when you show those isentropic maps and only pick out favorable theta surfaces for Maine.

I don't think anybody ever said only southeast areas would see snow. How often is that the case anyway? Next to never.

Southeast areas see the best chance for accumulation, that's just a fact with this type of system to be honest. Other areas will see snow, but best chance for advisory amounts will be the further south and east you go.

I don't even know if we reach advisory criteria here. I think that may be confined to the cape.

with the drought in California and a cold March everything is costing more. OT at work we set a record for gas use from Jan 1 to Feb 15th, since 1997

My heating bills have been 30% more expensive than last year...propane has gone up over a dollar per gallon increase in like the last 45 days too.

March will continue running cold...no opening the windows.

My heating bills have been 30% more expensive than last year...propane has gone up over a dollar per gallon increase in like the last 45 days too.

March will continue running cold...no opening the windows.

yes been an expensive winter for sure. Lots of people begging for spring, mother nature is not listening.

Epicosity FTL? hmmm, not throwing my words back at me are you? I think we have a lot of chances.

Reading comprehension ftl. I was saying below normal temps are not epicosity. If March is below normal temps and above average snow then that would be epicosity. This winter has not been epic in SNH IMHO.

Ive noticed you get very irritable at times on here. The problem is when someone says it favors SE areas. Folks that don't follow closely or might not understand the wx fully like Garth or MPM think that means it's only going to snow over SE mass. While the rest of the region sees no snow. The comment favors SE areas needs to be changed to favored for heaviest amouts, but the entire region still sees accumulating snow.

But it's ok if someone says the chance for rain or mixing favors SE areas, haha.

I really think you are the only one that interprets "favoring" in such an all or nothing manner. It's the same with all weather events...we know you want everyone to be involved or on the same page, but New England is quite diverse and it doesn't work like that all the time.

It also depends where you are...to me ORH could be a SE area, and if you divide New England into four equal parts, SE quad includes a lot of people.

You know it's a Sunday evening and folks are at home, bored, looking for something to talk about but there's nothing to really talk about so we default to bickering with each other over petty weather stuff...usually semantics arguments :lol:

Yeah I know...I just don't get the angst from some. Sometimes the center of the universe isn't always one particular town. 

Yeah I know...I just don't get the angst from some. Sometimes the center of the universe isn't always one particular town. 

On this forum, it usually is though...most people don't give a crap about anywhere outside of their BYs. I do give props to Ginxy for being an avid follower of weather in other areas of New England.

On this forum, it usually is though...most people don't give a crap about anywhere outside of their BYs. I do give props to Ginxy for being an avid follower of weather in other areas of New England.

Yeah he gets the cap tipped for that. I certainly don't get excited if Pete's picnic table is buried..but to each his own. I do like extreme events nearby even if I get screwed. Dec 2008 ice..oct snowbomb etc.  Those were epic.

And it's that extreme IMBYism that leads to disappointment with above average snowfall and below average temps.

I will say.  I went to school for a few years for meteorology, but then switched majors.  But I still love the weather and  I love reading everyone's analysis and thoughts about the storms.  But sometimes it really gets hard to come and read through all the crap that gets posted in between.  Makes it very unreadable at times. 

I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and do appreciate all the thought and time the posters put into their analysis.

Agreed. 

I will say one thing that helps me is that covering the whole state makes me interested in things that normally wouldn't impact MBY. Can have a crazy busy severe weather day when I don't even have a drop of rain in the backyard etc. 

I'd put Pickles into that camp, too.  Since he travels to wherever it's going to be though, I guess it always is in his backyard.

39.4/25

Thanks for the props, yes I am always staying abreast of all of our backyards. Looking forward to seeing all of them refill with white before it is over for good. I do admit selfish reasons for wanting NNE big snow in February as it extends my spring skiing season. What a great four day weekend of enjoying winters bounty with my son on his leave. Bluebird sky for three of them.

This x10.

He may be the only one here besides some of the mets.

...Although having our back yards practically adjoining each other is kind of nice when getting his forecasts. 

I'd put Pickles into that camp, too. Since he travels to wherever it's going to be though, I guess it always is in his backyard.

39.4/25

True

I can enjoy a event from a far as well. Wether it is winter weather (frozen precip) hurricanes or surf they all could be delightful. OT but I miss the canes , although fl has been very quiet of late in Fl. But there is nothing like the Build up , anticipation and duration of a nice big cane. Everyone and i mean everyone talks about it, and its more than annoyance or just chit chat (like winter wx often is) its a but of fear and some underlying excitement and often watching these things hit is special. I think Kevin would LOVE it.

Wilma was the highlight of my wx life, and witnessing the "surprise slot swell" arrive in delray beach from hurricane Isabel was another amazing nature event imo, Steve could appreciate this but when a cane passes east of fl heading wnw/nw there is a tiny channel (new providence channel) in the bahamas east of s florida (where the bahamas block se and e /ene swell completely ) but there is a tiny channel angled nne/SSW about 10 miles long where a ese swell can align and send a pulse of swell thru. This swell can light up a 15 mile swath of beach from n broward county to south central palm beach. I witnessed what at the time i thought was mesmerizing . Swell went from non existent to 13 feet (15 foot plus faces) in a matter of hours . Anyway now i would love for like a 40-60 inch snow went w high winds. But i do have a passion for the weather and i will travel to see it, wether its a 10pm ride to newport to see waves crashing over seawall, to nh to coincidently time a get away to see a 8 inch wet snow fall (and avoid rain at home) or to some hotel in Westminster during Octobomb. Im craving a anomalous winter event

Ive noticed you get very irritable at times on here. The problem is when someone says it favors SE areas. Folks that don't follow closely or might not understand the wx fully like Garth or MPM think that means it's only going to snow over SE mass. While the rest of the region sees no snow. The comment favors SE areas needs to be changed to favored for heaviest amouts, but the entire region still sees accumulating snow.

Thanks for calling me out.

"favoring the SE areas" to me means just what you say in the last sentence.  Without completely understanding an and all weather jargon and explanations that one is pretty easy to comprehend, but again, thanks for making me feel like the knuckle dragger of the weather community.

:pimp:

Archived