• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

Record low max's are underrated. Especially this day and age...it's a special airmass to get those.

The record low maxes in winter tend to be more representative of the airmass than low temps which are highly subject to nuances in wind speed/direction and cloud cover.

Don't get me wrong, most of the record lows did have impressive airmasses, but there are some exceptions...the state low temp in MA in 1984 is a great example. Really a radiational cooling type airmass, but the high temps were like 40-45F warmer than the lows that day. :lol:

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The record low maxes in winter tend to be more representative of the airmass than low temps which are highly subject to nuances in wind speed/direction and cloud cover.

Don't get me wrong, most of the record lows did have impressive airmasses, but there are some exceptions...the state low temp in MA in 1984 is a great example. Really a radiational cooling type airmass, but the high temps were like 40-45F warmer than the lows that day. :lol:

How the heck you recall things like that are dumbfounding...

Are there any dates where the record low low and record low high were on the same date in New England?

Yes, great point.

How the heck you recall things like that are dumbfounding...

Are there any dates where the record low low and record low high were on the same date in New England?

Sure, plenty of dates. But they are almost always reserved for the absolute epic cold outbreaks. I.E. like January 1957, 1968, 1994, 2004, etc. Feb 1934 and 1943....those years had a couple dates where both the high and low temps were record coldest.

Record low max's are underrated. Especially this day and age...it's a special airmass to get those.

Yeah...it takes a special airmass to do records on either side (hot or cold) for max temps. Low temps seem to be so variable based on wind/clouds and exact location of the site (hilltop vs valley)...record low maxes are just impressive air masses.

Edit: I see ORH-wx already covered this like three posts later. Fail for posting before reading.

They're also more representative because they are less affected by microsite factors.  My frost pocket location is usually similar to the hilltops for maxima, maybe a degreeor two colder up high, but I can be 10-15F colder on a clear calm night with snowpack.

Does that 1984 MA record (where and how cold?) mean the -35 at Chester in 1981 is officially invalidated?  I'm all for ensuring accuracy in such records, but thought it very cool that a state record high and record low had been recorded at the same location.

They're also more representative because they are less affected by microsite factors.  My frost pocket location is usually similar to the hilltops for maxima, maybe a degreeor two colder up high, but I can be 10-15F colder on a clear calm night with snowpack.

Does that 1984 MA record (where and how cold?) mean the -35 at Chester in 1981 is officially invalidated?  I'm all for ensuring accuracy in such records, but thought it very cool that a state record high and record low had been recorded at the same location.

The 1984 record was also in Chester...it was -40F. I'm still a bit skeptical of that reading, but it probably doesn't matter too much in the scheme of things.

Nice return to the cooler regime today. 

Just the same, it was sad to see that even with temps sitting around 25-26, the water trickling down the hill.  Direct sun, ftl.

23.1/11

Yep, lots of melting here even with the colder temperatures due to the high sun angle. By weeks end I expect that alot of the south facing areas will become snow free.

Thursday aftn could be interesting. Pretty strong s/w moving through with very cold air aloft. Although there is some dry air in the lower levels, we will have very steep lapse rates thanks to the sun angle. Might be one of those rare events where perhaps the Cape gets some snow showers with cold air over those SSTs and increased low level moisture. Just something to watch I suppose..otherwise rather boring.

He's right in that it still melts. It's only the torchy south slopes, but anything in the sun will still melt some.

Along the highways I'll buy..but in his area he said 8-12 inches and there's more than that in most of the hills..so with days in the 18-24 degree range thru Saturday..I have a hard time buying 8-12+ inches of icepack will be melting anywhere

Along the highways I'll buy..but in his area he said 8-12 inches and there's more than that in most of the hills..so with days in the 18-24 degree range thru Saturday..I have a hard time buying 8-12+ inches of icepack will be melting anywhere

Anything in the sun for a number of hours will melt and then evaporate. It's not happening fast when it is so cold, but it happens. 

Archived