joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling people who are professionals in the field wishcasters is bad form, many Mets here had snow on Wed in their forecasts, how were they wishcasting when models showed it?

my perception of wishcasting is wishing for the weather one wants.....you make it sound slanderous lol. the posters who suggested this period might very well be cold and dry are among what i consider the most weather smart on the board...i am starting to feel like one has to be walking on egg shells around here.

my perception of wishcasting is wishing for the weather one wants.....you make it sound slanderous lol. the posters who suggested this period might very well be cold and dry are among what i consider the most weather smart on the board...i am starting to feel like one has to be walking on egg shells around here.

I don't recall anybody saying cold and dry. I recall most saying last night's event and Wednesday are not set in stone and the pattern wasn't favorable for a larger storm. Some were calling for NW trends and banking on examples from previous storms to justify that...but to call for complete cold and dry is as bad as wishing for a storm. 

so whats this little SW the Nam conjured up for tomorrow bringing measurable to the Berks and my favorite little ski area? Looks like the Greens and SVT get a nice little dose too.

That's always been there.  It was the interaction with that s/w and the southern stream s/w that gave SNE it's measurable snow on Wednesday on the models.

Tuesday in the Berks hills upslope was always there?must have missed it

There were several runs of the GFS (and even a couple of the Euro) last week that tried to focus energy on this shortwave...remember when we sometimes said "the GFS is now giving snow on Tuesday versus Monday...models will probably have trouble resolving the multiple vortmaxima in the flow"....that's what is on the NAM for Tuesday. One of those vortmaxes.

Won't do much of anything for most of us outside of some snow showers/flurries....but the mountains may get a few squalls.

What are the records at the 4 biggies for that date?   Record low maxes are kinda like the silver medal to record low low's gold, but at least it is interesting...

BOS: 19F in 1875

BDL: 18F in 1906

ORH: 18F in 1920

PVD: 21F in 1906

ORH is the most vulnerable.

To me they are like record high lows during the summer...  80F lows are special... yeah, right :axe:

I prefer record low lows, but I understand your point from a met viewpoint

I understand yours as well. Good point about the summer example..lol. I just find them impressive in our so called "new climo regime."  My guess is when the AMO goes negative (soon)..we may have less of our famous record high lows.

Archived