Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, the wind was wicked @ wawa tonite

Winter has certainly returned, those 925mb temps are a tumblin

Heavy heavy low level cold this week

yes, notice each run getting colder too. Seeing some -38 850s now just North of Minnesota, that's brutal. Heavy heavy cold, guess is modeled 2m temps are too high. Extensive snow cover around here will only help.

"Big cold is my call this winter.  Snow should come too.  Epic is my call...one for the ages.  NNE will do extraordinarily well.  Not sure I buy the warm south of NYC.  I think the AO/NAO spends some negative time in the heart of winter.  But as long as the EPO holds we're getting frequent 3-6/4-8 type events but probably few if any blockbusters."  

What a Call!  I'm at 7 6" Events and with 2 more it may be my All-Time Record!  And No biggies just one 12.5" storm.  That I missed of course.  

This is turning into the Dis-junked 2002-2003 Season.  Tons of Cold, Tons of Snow, but unlike 2002-2003 they are not connected.  The January Cold didn't coordinate with the snow and the February cold is not coordinating with the snow (as we just had 5 days of Very warm temps).  If we had a 10"-20" storm coming tomorrow, then we're talking more closely to 2002-2003.  I'm sick of this awesome winter NOT coordinating the cold and snow!  

2002-2003 Still the Best Winter of my life.  2004-2005 and 1996-1997 and 2010-2011 have to fight for the scraps of the podium.  

"Big cold is my call this winter.  Snow should come too.  Epic is my call...one for the ages.  NNE will do extraordinarily well.  Not sure I buy the warm south of NYC.  I think the AO/NAO spends some negative time in the heart of winter.  But as long as the EPO holds we're getting frequent 3-6/4-8 type events but probably few if any blockbusters."  

What a Call!  I'm at 7 6" Events and with 2 more it may be my All-Time Record!  And No biggies just one 12.5" storm.  That I missed of course.  

This is turning into the Dis-junked 2002-2003 Season.  Tons of Cold, Tons of Snow, but unlike 2002-2003 they are not connected.  The January Cold didn't coordinate with the snow and the February cold is not coordinating with the snow (as we just had 5 days of Very warm temps).  If we had a 10"-20" storm coming tomorrow, then we're talking more closely to 2002-2003.  I'm sick of this awesome winter NOT coordinating the cold and snow!  

2002-2003 Still the Best Winter of my life.  2004-2005 and 1996-1997 and 2010-2011 have to fight for the scraps of the podium.  

Where were you in 1995-1996? I had a deep pack that winter.

Euro actually might give a little period of light snow for Thursday as the next arctic front comes through...almost develops a little sfc reflection over SE MA. So we may have to watch for that.

I sort of tossed that idea at first, but the ensembles also hinted at this.  It is a potent s/w.

I sort of tossed that idea at first, but the ensembles also hinted at this.  It is a potent s/w.

The other guidance doesn't dig the shortwave quite as far south...so we'll see. If Euro is right, then we might see more squally/windexy weather with maybe even a brief period of steadier snow in the form of a band or something....but if the thing is further north...then its more like a couple snow showers with the squalls limited to mountains.

There's probably going to be a lot of flakes in the air over the next two days but not much accumulation to show for it. I do think tomorrow, a lot places will pick up a coating. Maybe even a lucky inch in a spot or two.

The Thursday shortwave is somewhat intriguing because of how strong the PVA is and there is a bit of LL moisture to work with...so there could def be a few squalls fired off. I'd prefer the high moisture to make it upto about 600mb or so...but it only makes it up to about 750mb. Still, even with that, its a very cold airmass aloft with steep lapse rates and some LL moisture, so windex squalls may try to occur.

There's probably going to be a lot of flakes in the air over the next two days but not much accumulation to show for it. I do think tomorrow, a lot places will pick up a coating. Maybe even a lucky inch in a spot or two.

The Thursday shortwave is somewhat intriguing because of how strong the PVA is and there is a bit of LL moisture to work with...so there could def be a few squalls fired off. I'd prefer the high moisture to make it upto about 600mb or so...but it only makes it up to about 750mb. Still, even with that, its a very cold airmass aloft with steep lapse rates and some LL moisture, so windex squalls may try to occur.

Might even be a few lines of snow showers/squalls too?

Archived