joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not call this a boring winter outside of northern VT.

I'd be curious to see N.NH too (like north of Gene/wxeye)... I bet they could be flirting with below normal, especially the upslope regions of NH.  Even Tamarack in ME may have been too far north... I think Dryslot is right near average, too. 

I mean we are talking about generally snowy areas in the northern tier, so "below normal" should be taken in that context.  It doesn't mean "no snow"... its just compared to other seasonal totals, this winter isn't going to be found near the top of any list I think in most of NNE. 

Good winter, but disappointing if you were constantly touting and badgering historic or epic.

ok. Well, I guess it depends on your fetish I think. Day after day after day of below average temps,at times brutally cold, with snow on the ground constantly since early Dec. is my idea of an epic winter. If you're looking for storms of 12"+, you're probably not very satisfied.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Snowfall in SNE 125% to 175% above normal plus this cold, I don't know what some of these guys expect but since the calls for a great winter started it has met my expectations. Many a year at this time it's bare ground and hope for March, this year it's a full pack heading into a period filled with cold and potential.

60dTDeptUS.png

I'd be curious to see N.NH too (like north of Gene/wxeye)... I bet they could be flirting with below normal, especially the upslope regions of NH.  Even Tamarack in ME may have been too far north... I think Dryslot is right near average, too. 

I mean we are talking about generally snowy areas in the northern tier, so "below normal" should be taken in that context.  It doesn't mean "no snow"... its just compared to other seasonal totals, this winter isn't going to be found near the top of any list I think in most of NNE. 

This is my first year in Bartlett, and I've been wondering - does this region ever get upslope precip? What parts of NH do? 

This is my first year in Bartlett, and I've been wondering - does this region ever get upslope precip? What parts of NH do?

You would upslope on SE flow...normally when peeps talk about "upslope" on here they are talking NW flow upslope. You'd want to be on the NW side of the Presidentials for that...but they get downsloped more severely on that side during synoptic events so it's a trade off there.

Referring to the "upslope region" means the areas that can often get it to snow without any synoptic storm system....it's just another way to get it to snow/precipitate that a lot of other areas don't have...it's like the lake effect region. You can have a bad winter for synoptic storms, but meso-scale snows save you. Like 2011-2012 is a recent example...most in New England had a horrible winter, while the mountains up here had plenty of upslope and got 260-320" of snow, with 90-120" falling in the mountain villages...all while BTV a few miles away got a paltry 36", similar to a lot of other valley areas in New England. That was a winter where the meso-scale effects saved this area.

But then there are winters like this where the pattern in the Atlantic never changes of cooperates and we miss out on that local phenomena.

Nope u won't. I hear cannon mtn does occasionally but nothing special. if you like to hike go above 4k on presidential range in fall or spring.

Otherwise nws has a good document on nnh maine upslope and where it hits ..think Northern NH ...as in where there are no jobs or ski resorts...but more snowmobile trails than u can dream.

You would upslope on SE flow...normally when peeps talk about "upslope" on here they are talking NW flow upslope. You'd want to be on the NW side of the Presidentials for that...but they get downsloped more severely on that side during synoptic events so it's a trade off there.

Any uplsope worth gettin excited over is "up there" near first ct lake /snowmobile heaven . I think jeffersonville does ok sometimes as well closer to civilization but its sort of rare there. Nh ski resorts hardly get any upslope

I would've paid money to live where you were this winter. Didn't you have like 3 feet on the ground a few days ago?

Most of you know I'm not billing this as anywhere near epic up here, but from like Philly to Boston I think most of those snow lovers would take this winter again in a heart-beat. It was a pretty strong winter too for parts of central New England, especially towards the coast.

I think most of the coastal dwellers or even everyone within 100 miles of the coastline had an above to well above normal snowfall winter with some serious bouts of cold.

my normal snow is around 50 inches....well above to me is 70 to 75, i am at 53 so to get to well above numbers is going to take a snowy pattern and im within 100 mi of the coast. would i take this winter again in a heartbeat? of course. it was good but im not sure it will be epic. having lived here for almost ten years id strongly like to challenge that 50 avg as i made a case that it was likely closer to 40 but several experts here say its 50. my nine year season avg not including this season is 45 or so.

Epic winters don't melt two feet in three days immediately after it falls.  It's not like this is TAN or GON or something...that's more common of a typical, average winter.

Well CON has only had 24" of snow on the ground for longer than 10 consecutive days 4 times, ever. And two of those streaks happened in 2008. It's not like it's that common outside of the mountains either.

Archived