gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado confirmed in Saint Mary's and Calvert counties today. I'm visiting family in Baltimore County and it as on the local news There is a PNS on it as well

it was impressive rotation so I am not surprised... saw a picture of a roof shingle stuck in a truck... that takes some wind

From the EPA facebook page:

***NEW TORNADO WATCH*** extended into portions of extreme southeastern PA including the Philadelphia metro area and southern New Jersey. This is only a watch which means conditions are favorable but not imminent.... We still think that the... ground temperatures are too cold combined with the snowpack and believe that the northern extent of this watch is a little bit too far north, but this is the official advisory so we are just passing it along.... counties/areas that are under the watch are in the blue hashed areas in the iNWS graphic.

I get concerned when people like this tell people that the warning or watch isn't really important.

Haha, well that officially overtakes the "snow can never ever accumulate because of the warm ground" excuse. 

Seriously though, I just had a look over of the archive loop on mesoanalysis and those watches were definitely justified given the dynamics alone. And despite there being a snowpack or what have you, there managed to be SURFACE-BASED CAPE of 100-250 up into the Philly area and the southern half of NJ. Any notable CAPE is pretty impressive in the northeast for February, and coupled with significant helicity and tremendous effective bulk shear (50-70knots+), there absolutely could've been a quick spin-up. 

Hahaha indeed Mag, up and over for Bowyer...Johnson ran out of gas in front of the pack. It rained quite a bit still drying the track as we speak.

Looks like Daytona and east bay in Tampa where I al at now only tracks running. What's up with the rumors of snow for next week? Are they fading?

Amazing localized areas of intense radiational cooling taking place around here right now.  I'm sitting at 29.1 while about five miles away it's 44.6!  Also, up in Shermansdale at a higher elevation it's also 45.  Wundermap shows these local cold spots scattered about in CPA.

Edit:

Just saw 10pm KCXY ob...47 degrees with West winds at 24 gusting to 33.  My winds...CALM.

Amazing localized areas of intense radiational cooling taking place around here right now.  I'm sitting at 29.1 while about five miles away it's 44.6!  Also, up in Shermansdale at a higher elevation it's also 45.  Wundermap shows these local cold spots scattered about in CPA.

Edit:

Just saw 10pm KCXY ob...47 degrees with West winds at 24 gusting to 33.  My winds...CALM.

Yeah the temps seem to be doing crazy things this evening... 

I was looking at my friend's weather station near Lebanon City... it shows the temp dipped to near 30 around 9PM this eve before rising to 46 as of 10:30PM.

Edit: My temp just north of Myerstown is now up to 41.7 and still rising. I was not watching the thermometer earlier this eve but just a few minutes ago it was showing 36.

27 here with black ice everywhere. I almost spun my Jeep out coming home from a basketball game earlier. The road was wet, but then I hit a cooler spot (probably sheltered from any solar radiation) and just started fishtailing. Luckily not bad enough to lose control, but enough to make the rest of the ride home a bit nerve racking.

Wow, today's Euro centers sub 492 thicknesses over the majority of PA at hour 186. -5 to -10 lows pretty common across the state around then as well. Starting to look like the major cold outbreak is going to squash the potential storm threat in that timeframe. Might have to wait for the relaxation of the arctic cold to get the storm threat back...which is usually how these things go. The bigger ones normally either usher in the big cold or come on the heels of it. 

It's warm,but the low dewpoints are saving my snowpack so far.  I just measured and still an average 8" pack here.

Yea I was surprised how much pack is still left. General 6-8"  and in areas with little sun 10" at least. Was nice being in that much snow with the warm temps.  The southern exposed hill behind me is all but melted and the deer love it for food.

Archived