gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it raining as hard as what radar is suggesting?  hard to see far out window with the fog but doesnt appear to be too heavy

by the sound on the roof, it's raining hard.

Trying to get more info, but they dispatched our tech rescue operations team to a building collapse with Entrapment in Adams County (now holding in station). not sure if its weather related or not. I had seen reports on FB that down near the Pa/Md line was having some big winds.

Had a brief period of heavy rain about 30 minutes ago.  Now just light.  Looking at the Wundermap temps you almost get the impression that the approaching front is occluding.  I'm not so sure we see the spike to mid 50's here later on.  Temps in western PA are all in the 30's.  Still 37 degrees here.  Washington, DC 67 degrees, Norfolk 71.  Temps along M-D line no higher than mid 40's. 

Yesterday was the first day I began to see the reemergence of the "ice layer".  I still have at least 6" sitting on top of it right now.  Even if we have 50's with sun tomorrow I doubt that ice layer melts much, if any. 

This winter really has acted a lot like '93-'94 in many ways.  Back then I'm pretty sure we had snow cover well into March.  I know the year earlier after the Superstorm we kept our cover until the end of March which was 2 1/2 weeks after the storm.  During the final week there were a couple of single-digit lows from radiational cooling.  Maybe someone can comment on when was the most recent winter in the CPA region (including LSV) that had persistent snow cover well into March?  I think it's been quite a while.

02-03 we had a 4" snow in April. And what year did we have a 9-10" snowfall on St. Paddys day?

edit- i just looked. March 7 we had 4", March 16th 9.5". 2007  if my memory serves me right though i warmed up right after and only lasted a week

Had a brief period of heavy rain about 30 minutes ago.  Now just light.  Looking at the Wundermap temps you almost get the impression that the approaching front is occluding.  I'm not so sure we see the spike to mid 50's here later on.  Temps in western PA are all in the 30's.  Still 37 degrees here.  Washington, DC 67 degrees, Norfolk 71.  Temps along M-D line no higher than mid 40's. 

Yesterday was the first day I began to see the reemergence of the "ice layer".  I still have at least 6" sitting on top of it right now.  Even if we have 50's with sun tomorrow I doubt that ice layer melts much, if any. 

This winter really has acted a lot like '93-'94 in many ways.  Back then I'm pretty sure we had snow cover well into March.  I know the year earlier after the Superstorm we kept our cover until the end of March which was 2 1/2 weeks after the storm.  During the final week there were a couple of single-digit lows from radiational cooling.  Maybe someone can comment on when was the most recent winter in the CPA region (including LSV) that had persistent snow cover well into March?  I think it's been quite a while.

Feb-March 2003 had 30 straight days with snow cover in Harrisburg

edit: carried over from Feb through the first 8 days of March

yes 2007 was the 9-10" snow on St. Patty's Day but melted in 3-4 days

Feb-March 2003 had 30 straight days with snow cover in Harrisburg

edit: carried over from Feb through the first 8 days of March

yes 2007 was the 9-10" snow on St. Patty's Day but melted in 3-4 days

Thanks, thats what i thought, my notes didn't reflect that, but thats what my memory was telling me it melted quick. I actually think the next day, Saturday warmed up pretty good.

Wundermap temps confirm the warm front did not officially make it this far north.  Occluded front passed through here last hour with a wind shift to the West from Northeast.  Temps above 50 are now all well east and south of MDT.  Looks like temps hover in the mid 40's before beginning slow drop later today.

Temp here holding around 42 with dew point beginning to decline.  Looks like precip from the front ranged from 0.1" to 0.2" around here.

Wundermap temps confirm the warm front did not officially make it this far north.  Occluded front passed through here last hour with a wind shift to the West from Northeast.  Temps above 50 are now all well east and south of MDT.  Looks like temps hover in the mid 40's before beginning slow drop later today.

Temp here holding around 42 with dew point beginning to decline.  Looks like precip from the front ranged from 0.1" to 0.2" around here.

Temps in western PA have already rebounded roughly 6-7 degrees with the clearing skies after the drop right behind the front

From the EPA facebook page:

***NEW TORNADO WATCH*** extended into portions of extreme southeastern PA including the Philadelphia metro area and southern New Jersey. This is only a watch which means conditions are favorable but not imminent.... We still think that the... ground temperatures are too cold combined with the snowpack and believe that the northern extent of this watch is a little bit too far north, but this is the official advisory so we are just passing it along.... counties/areas that are under the watch are in the blue hashed areas in the iNWS graphic.

I get concerned when people like this tell people that the warning or watch isn't really important.

***NEW TORNADO WATCH*** extended into portions of extreme southeastern PA including the Philadelphia metro area and southern New Jersey. This is only a watch which means conditions are favorable but not imminent.... We still think that the... ground temperatures are too cold combined with the snowpack and believe that the northern extent of this watch is a little bit too far north, but this is the official advisory so we are just passing it along.... counties/areas that are under the watch are in the blue hashed areas in the iNWS graphic.

Irresponsible.

I get concerned when people like this tell people that the warning or watch isn't really important.

Any deaths that would result from people listening to them....there's a phrase for that:

"thinning the herd"

hahaha it hit 60 in philly today... the instability was there because there were several rotation signatures on radar with the line that triggered that watch

That was a very irresponsible post by EPAWA. It's one thing to down play a winter weather advisory of 1-2" of snow, but a Tornado watch? The parameters around Philly/SEPA toward Jersey were good for instability. Idk where they got this snow pack, cold temperature idea from. Like was said before, it was around 60 in Philly. Northern Delaware was upper 60's. SPC Meso showed area of greatest instability in those areas. Smh. You don't play chicken with severe weather

Archived