joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/18/14 snow event

weathafella

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with Ryan about a month ago but its so cold prior to SE winds with climo, ice cold ocean and surface winds not cranking I think if anything it draws in some better moisture. If the antecedent day was like yesterday mornings non accumulating stuff the day of I would agree too, different setup it seems.2-4

Winds do get pretty gusty out ahead of it. 

GON is such a snow hole... when in doubt go low. Probably not an issue 10-15 miles inland and even for HVN. 

18z GFS is pretty juicy. 

Lock it in, because this is pretty much the pattern 90% of the systems have followed this season, lol.  Except for the last storm, we just keep getting bent over up here in N.VT.  Its like we get to enjoy 1 out of every 3 or 4 storms that CNE/SNE has been getting this season :lol:  It is what it is, and why the I-95 big cities have more snowfall than BTV right now.

I just don't see it. Even the euro pushes bl temps above freezing so it will hve to thump. Inland areas per euro do well.

Well thats

Prob why box map has ne mass coastal plain within 15 miles at 1-2 while west of that area is 2-4. Maybe im crazy thou. I dont like mid day timing on Cp for maximizing qpf into inches box Doesnt seem to either.

And king James had 10 more hours of heavy snow last night. As frank used to croon..."fairy tales can come true...."

And I only ended up with 7.5" while parts of the northern Cape got 12".  It was a matter of a few miles between the 6" along the south coast of Cape Cod and the north shore of Cape Cod getting 12"+.  Sandwich, MA was the jackpot, 15"

Didn't do a total map yet...would wait until tomorrow but current thinking regarding where it's all snow and where it's more of a mix.  Not overly impressed by this and while temps aloft are fine, lots of room for warmer air to really work into the surface and just above and given how precipitation rates shouldn't be too excessive...this will lead to more mixed precipitation.  At most I would see 1-3'' for snow and up to 4'' above 1000'.

post-443-0-18026300-1392593522_thumb.jpg

This thing actually gets stronger as it goes east. Soundings are cold and 950 wetbulbs are like -1C for BOS. That's probably a 32-34 paste. It woul likely be cold enough if it came in at like 7am instead of noon. Temps a bit marginal but nothing a little lift can't do.

Looks like it moves into CT at daybreak. Hopefully out to you guys by 8:00

Didn't do a total map yet...would wait until tomorrow but current thinking regarding where it's all snow and where it's more of a mix.  Not overly impressed by this and while temps aloft are fine, lots of room for warmer air to really work into the surface and just above and given how precipitation rates shouldn't be too excessive...this will lead to more mixed precipitation.  At most I would see 1-3'' for snow and up to 4'' above 1000'.

attachicon.gifforecast map.jpg

All rain for Moosup ?

I don't agree with that at all. Even the coast is going to stay snow. Cold air mass and 950's, it's certainly not going to rain anywhere inland

The Euro/GFS have 925mb temps across CT virtually around -2C to -3C...only the NAM is much colder.  Each of these models also has 2M temps getting close or into the mid 30's.  Plus precipitation rates are not going to be particularly heavy at all and that's evident by 6-HR QPF totals barely above 0.2''...although the GFS does imply we could see some heavier rates  Even if these areas stay all snow I find it hard to see much accumulations going on...snow growth doesn't look all that favorable 

Lock it in, because this is pretty much the pattern 90% of the systems have followed this season, lol. Except for the last storm, we just keep getting bent over up here in N.VT. Its like we get to enjoy 1 out of every 3 or 4 storms that CNE/SNE has been getting this season :lol: It is what it is, and why the I-95 big cities have more snowfall than BTV right now.[/url]

Yeh but come the middle of May when they are sitting around with nothing to do but watch coeds in bikinis throwing frisbees, we will get a 17 inch tulip flattening blue bomb. That'll show them.

BTV calling for 1-3 here.

Archived