Newest Member
    joxey
2/18/14 snow event

weathafella

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any trends to "hope" for to get the most out of this guy

Stronger vort another 25-50 miles south? Would that bring out 6 inch amounts or too fast moving

Stronger vortmax a bit south would give us a chance at 6" amounts...but we're getting pretty close in. We'll see how it trends tonight...for now I'd be expecting 2-3" mostly...maybe 4"+ lollis N MA/S NH...we'll see. Could be a nice omega burst.

Ha, well it probably will waver a bit, but this is one of those deals where to the east of it will exist a band of rather moderate precip. It looked fairly cold aside from cape cod, for most.

It has 2m temps in the single digits N&W of 495 at 12z Tuesday, lol...not sure its that cold in reality, but this is not a rotted out airmass...its pretty fresh.

Ha, well it probably will waver a bit, but this is one of those deals where to the east of it will exist a band of rather moderate precip. It looked fairly cold aside from cape cod, for most.

Based on model progs, I can envision a sort of NW/SE oriented band of snow knifing across the area. Maybe like the radar presentation across the Midwest yesterday, but a more compact precip shield?

Based on model progs, I can envision a sort of NW/SE oriented band of snow knifing across the area. Maybe like the radar presentation across the Midwest yesterday, but a more compact precip shield?

Agreed.  Nice frontal boundary with flow coming in out of the SE into the primary low over the GL.  That looks to weaken as the main low transfers to developing secondary on the coast.  I see a relative "sucker hole" wherever that happens.  I'd favor coastal ME for the highest totals.

Agreed.  Nice frontal boundary with flow coming in out of the SE into the primary low over the GL.  That looks to weaken as the main low transfers to developing secondary on the coast.  I see a relative "sucker hole" wherever that happens.  I'd favor coastal ME for the highest totals.

I came up with 3-5" across southern NH into coastal ME. Sadly this almost certainly will be a bigger snowfall than last night for our CWA.

Also... pretty ugly looking snow growth. Omega is very low in the troposphere. Centered around 850mb where the strongest isentropic lift is. Temperatures are around -5C there. 

There will be ice crystals in the cloud (seeder-feeder) but it's not a setup that screams "thump" to me south of the Pike. 

Also... pretty ugly looking snow growth. Omega is very low in the troposphere. Centered around 850mb where the strongest isentropic lift is. Temperatures are around -5C there. 

There will be ice crystals in the cloud (seeder-feeder) but it's not a setup that screams "thump" to me south of the Pike. 

Never looked up seeder-feeder now. Cool mechanism.

I would agree with Ryan about a month ago but its so cold prior to SE winds with climo, ice cold ocean and surface winds not cranking I think if anything it draws in some better moisture. If the antecedent day was like yesterday mornings non accumulating stuff the day of I would agree too, different setup it seems.2-4

Archived