• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS will be many people's 3rd or 4th best storm of the winter

Would be my 2nd best.

Agreed. This better be the floor. Plus, the airmass going into the event here is notably colder than March 6th, plus it's 3 weeks ealier on the calendar. Both factors have to help us at least with the front side snow..

Yeah, I like the front end, but without rates on the back we would be in trouble.

72 12z UKIE QPF map :lol:

attachicon.gif12zUKIE2-11-14QPF72hrmap.gif

1.5" qpf total?

It's getting hard to ignore the gfs less amped and drier solution isn't it. It's been bugging me like heck for days now. The 12z run was so close though. It closed off @ 45 and wasn't ragged. The ns vort had a nice backside dig into the trough. It's a damn tightrope. Even if the euro plasters us again the risks are on the table for sure. 

All the foreign models still have an amped solution. If the GFS verifies it can never be blasted again on this site.

Not sure if or how this matters, but does the Ukie have a 4D VAR type of assimilation?  I know the Euro and Canadian do.  Just that it seems interesting the 4D VAR solutions (global models) are really phasing the system and wrapping it up.  GFS is 3D VAR, and it's almost...but not quite...there, plus it's drier.  May just be coincidence, but just asking.

I think it does.

You can only say a model has been terrible only when you know the eventual outcome.  Easily, you could come back in two days and change terrible to correct.  We may have to wait until 00Z...and then maybe this thing is so walking the tightrope as Bob said, that consensus will be weak right up until nowcasting time.  There is no way to know.  All you can do is stay tuned and look for what makes sense.

Rephrase...it has been playing catch-up

All the foreign models still have an amped solution. If the GFS verifies it can never be blasted again on this site.

The GFS was so far away from a solution even remotely like the one it shows today while plenty of other models have been locked in (or close to it) for several days now. Even if it ends up going down EXACTLY like what the GFS showed at 12Z today, there is no logical way anyone could say it shouldn't be criticized or that it "won".

Not sure if or how this matters, but does the Ukie have a 4D VAR type of assimilation?  I know the Euro and Canadian do.  Just that it seems interesting the 4D VAR solutions (global models) are really phasing the system and wrapping it up.  GFS is 3D VAR, and it's almost...but not quite...there, plus it's drier.  May just be coincidence, but just asking.

I believe HPC cited that as a reason for the differing solutions

The GFS was so far away from a solution even remotely like the one it shows today while plenty of other models have been locked in (or close to it) for several days now. Even if it ends up going down EXACTLY like what the GFS showed at 12Z today, there is no logical way anyone could say it shouldn't be criticized or that it "won".

Very true. I guess I am saying it has shown a less amped solution for days and continues to do so. Where as the Euro has had basically the same solution since Friday. Either could fold at this point I guess.

Archived