• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

x1000.

The one thing that really bothers me about the whole sampling argument is people completely ignore lead time/error growth for a specific event.  Of course a model is going to hone in on a solution when there is less lead time....there is a shorter time window for small perturbations (initial condition errors) to grow and for model error to exacerbate the problems.  Error growth is not even close to linear.

As a corollary, more recent data is always better data.  

It has been particularly noticeable this past couple of weeks watching the american models try to resolve that mess at 500 off the NW coast.  Small differences in how the model resolved the strength, focus or trajectory of the energy as early as 24 hours into a given model run has caused big downstream changes.   Once the energy actually ejected, the models did not change much.

I always try to keep in mind that the circumference of the earth is 24901 miles and we predict that weather in that 3d space with multiple variables driven by chaos and differential equations. 100 miles is not a big error - 0.4% to be exact.  Snowstorms are often no more that a a couple hundred miles wide.  It is amazing to me that we can talk about 25-50 mile shifts having meaning.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all obs are weighted the same.  Raobs are pretty heavily weighted...dtk can confirm.

I think they already chimed in that changes won't be because of "better sampling."

I'm a data analyst by day so I'm never going to argue more data isn't better than less data. That said, I'd love some examples of when better sampling had a huge impact.  I'm sure it's happened at least once or twice.. but usually there are no differences a regular viewer could tell apart from closing in.  

I've chatted with a few model makers on the side so "myth" might be a little strong but probably not crazy strong.  To me a lot of the extra obs etc is for future research and bettering of the models etc.  If extra sampling is so super critical we'd be flying recon in the WPAC still. 

Ah, OK...d'oh!  I got confused since people refered to it as the GGEM and others as the RGEM.  Thought it seemed early for the GGEM to be out.  Anyhow, I don't know how similar the Canadian regional vs. global are, i.e., if they tend to show the same thing.

They are like the GFS and NAM, plenty of times they show different solutions. The RGEM is much better than the NAM of course.

Archived