• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, unfortunately it has been mostly weak northern stream disturbances here and the pattern has not favored a solution like the 0z EC solution and from what I am hearing there isn't really much ensemble support for it. NWS BTV is not buying it either and I think you can sense a little frustration in the long term discussion lol.

FROM THURSDAY ONWARD...THE TWO PRIMARY GLOBAL MODELS CONTINUE AT
ODDS WITH ONE ANOTHER IN HOW THEY HANDLE INTERACTION BETWEEN
SEPARATE ENERGY BUNDLES IN THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAMS
RESPECTIVELY. THIS MORNING`S ECMWF REMAINS THE MOST ROBUST
SHOWING A STRONG COASTAL LOW WITH COPIOUS MOISTURE AND THE
POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACROSS OUR AREA WHILE THE GFS
MAINTAINS CONSISTENCY WITH ITS UNPHASED WEAKER NRN STREAM TROUGH
SCENARIO. FROM MY STANDPOINT...REALLY HARD TO LEAN IN THE EURO`S
DIRECTION AT THIS POINT...ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE MAJORITY OF
OTHER DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS AND MEAN ENSEMBLES DO NOT SHOW
NEARLY THE PHASING OFFERED BY ITS SOLUTION. YES...SOME SORT OF
MODEST OFFSHORE SYSTEM WILL PROBABLY BE THERE...PERHAPS PASSING
INVOF THE BENCHMARK THEREABOUTS AS OFFERED BY WPC DAY 5
PROGS...BUT IN ALL HONESTY THE WINTER SO FAR HAS BEEN DOMINATED
BY NRN STREAM FEATURES AND GIVEN ABOVE GUIDANCE FEEL HIGHLIGHTING
IT`S CLIPPER/UPPER TROUGH SCENARIO IS THE BEST COURSE FOR NOW.
STILL LOOKING AT PERIODS OF LIGHT SNOW/SHSN ACROSS MUCH OF THE
AREA...I`M NOT DISCOUNTING THAT...DURING THE THURSDAY/FRIDAY TIME
FRAME WITH SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY...BUT AGAIN THE
EMPHASIS WILL BE ON "LIGHT" AT THIS POINT UNLESS A MORE
SIGNIFICANT RUN-TO-RUN AND MODEL-TO-MODEL CONSENSUS SHOWS
OTHERWISE. TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE THEIR MODERATION THROUGH
THE PERIOD WITH DAYTIME HIGHS CLIMBING INTO THE 25 TO 35 DEGREE
RANGE AND OVERNIGHT LOWS MAINLY 15 TO 25...BASICALLY WITHIN 5
DEGREES OF MID FEBRUARY NORMS.

When anyone just broad brushes a forecast for the whole country in one short shift and discussion they don't spend much time in any one area

they aren't broad brushing if you read their discussion.  I think they are a good source.  I add them into what is discussed in here as you guys don't mention them that much.  I don't go with them completely but I give them a lot of weight, except in truly micro.  They look at a lot of data and they have Kocin.

they aren't broad brushing if you read their discussion. I think they are a good source. I add them into what is discussed in here as you guys don't mention them that much. I don't go with them completely but I give them a lot of weight, except in truly micro. They look at a lot of data and they have Kocin.

Maybe if kocin is back it's worthwhile but in previous years I didn't find hpc particularly useful. It's like the heavy snow MDs....that's something we already knew anyway!

they aren't broad brushing if you read their discussion. I think they are a good source. I add them into what is discussed in here as you guys don't mention them that much. I don't go with them completely but I give them a lot of weight, except in truly micro. They look at a lot of data and they have Kocin.

They are an excellent source of added knowledge. I always appreciate you posting their take. Our Eastern conference trip to their facility was a life highlight.

In our on-going efforts to toil around trying to out-wit the models ...  here is what the 00z operational Euro had for snow output:

post-904-0-95132700-1391961556_thumb.jpg

Interestingly ... despite the contention between the operational Euro and GFS (although ... the 06z's mighty push back W I think is a good dose of confidence in a significant event.  A straight up blend of this run and the 00z Euro would be [probably] a season defining storm given to lowered snow ratio (weighty), high winds and general impact.  But I digress...)

Anyway, these op. models actually agree better for the system nearing the 17th!  Here is the Euro snow output for that one:

post-904-0-69607500-1391961572_thumb.jpg

Obviously these are subject to change to whatever degree.

In our on-going efforts to toil around trying to out-wit the models ... here is what the 00z operational Euro had for snow output:

Euro1.jpg

Interestingly ... despite the contention between the operational Euro and GFS (although ... the 06z's mighty push back W I think is a good dose of confidence in a significant event. A straight up blend of this run and the 00z Euro would be [probably] a season defining storm given to lowered snow ratio (weighty), high winds and general impact. But I digress...)

Anyway, these op. models actually agree better for the system nearing the 17th! Here is the Euro snow output for that one:

Euro2.jpg

Obviously these are subject to change to whatever degree.

nice

I think we still need to keep in mind that the nrn branch could muck things up, but ironically it can also help save this from going over NYC.

Agree ...  You know, more western ridge and it might cause more phasing and than we'd really have an unknown on our hands.

As is though, it's a fast flow with 'just enough' stream separation (as in ...very little wiggle room for error) to allow a Euro solution; to that end, the GFS has a built in progressive bias at all times beyond 84 hours. In a low meridional flow, it may be choosing the eastward range of said wiggling - ha - thus keeping with it's native on-going intent to take systems to England at ludicrous speed.  If the flow were more N-S, the GFS' bias would be less expressed, is what I am getting at... 

Anyway, my hunch is that the Euro holds serve (tick west or east not out of the quesion).  We're right on the boundary of it's wheelhouse to glory, so its going to get hard to doubt it in a real hurry here. 

Archived