• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

Some things will never change I guess.

Anyway - it's nice to see the Euro Ensembles on the general storm idea. The synoptics are iffy at best but it would be nice to sneak out a good snow event. 

yeah, Euro is about the only way we get a widespread snowstorm.  Maybe it works out but I would not have high confidence right now.  Play close to climo and see how things shake out over the next day, day and a half.  Beware the southern stream and that kicker may just push everything OTS.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro seems on our side on this, amazing how people have lost confidence in its abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue is the fragility of this setup...if we had some margin for error, we'd probably be honing in on a major winter storm...but this is a fragile setup. This is still 4-5 days out. Its not 60 hours out.

The issue is the fragility of this setup...if we had some margin for error, we'd probably be honing in on a major winter storm...but this is a fragile setup. This is still 4-5 days out. Its not 60 hours out.

I think the faster that southern stream s/w ejects northeast the better it is for snow. Still some lingering confluence and high to the north and a bit of separation between it and the kicker. 

This is called trolling.

I think you could distinguish between trolling and ribbing.  That doesn't seem close to trolling.  We have way way better examples of trolling which rarely gets moderated, i.e. forky (even though he is funny).

I don't see why a guy at 1K in interior SNE shouldn't be a bit optimistic for 6 inches at this point 3.5 days out given all of the model output.  Nothing is perfect this season for sure  But models are on board, HPC is on board for 1.25+ and it is February.

Sigh.....

I think the faster that southern stream s/w ejects northeast the better it is for snow. Still some lingering confluence and high to the north and a bit of separation between it and the kicker. 

Agreed...hold that confluence a bit. I think holding the confluence would probably create some better frontogenesis too.

We've got good agreement on all 12z op models and Euro ens of a sizeable winter storm in SNE. Hopefully we can extend this all the way up north to the ski resorts in VT and NNE as well

Personally, the fact that this isn't modeled over ALB right now is a bad sign for this part of New England....my gut is telling me we may be seeing those 3-5 day out amped up solutions we've seen several times this winter. The trend this year in the final 48 hours has been for slightly more progressive solutions as the models get a better handle on the fast flow. If be open to changing that stance if someone had a good reason for why this would become more amped and further NW in reach...but with a kicker system coming in the northern stream and no real phasing, I'm leaning more progressive and east. Should be interesting to watch it play out.

One thing of note is that we don't have a closed ull ejecting out of the SW so there is some bit of certainty with that feature.

The issue is the fragility of this setup...if we had some margin for error, we'd probably be honing in on a major winter storm...but this is a fragile setup. .

Which is why every AFD has low confidence on track Ptype etc. any small change in n stream kicker timing changes this from our thread the needle set up. My guess is models waffle alot in next 48 hrs

where?  because gyx has CON starting overnight Wednesday (40%).  These runs are from 7am Sunday data right?  That would be less than 4 days.  And now the ever dependable 84 hrNAM is lining up with the Euro, so it is 3.5 days

I'm looking at the 12z Euro right now on Wunderground and no precip has fallen over most of SNE, save for S CT and I am factoring in the leading edge being evaporated.

post-238-0-67195500-1391979939_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's like 3.5 days now. Euro had it snowing to nearly NH border by daybreak Thurs

Its a 12z run which is basically 96 hours out. Whether we want to get into a pointless semantic arguement of the start time, the general point is still the same on uncertainty with this particular synoptic setup.

Its a 12z run which is basically 96 hours out. Whether we want to get into a pointless semantic arguement of the start time, the general point is still the same on uncertainty with this particular synoptic setup.

Start time is always one of the most important aspects of any storm..so i don't agree that's it's pointless

Nothing like a good semantic arguement--like the ones in the thread over whether we were looking at .05 or .1.  LOL

I'm a worried this may pass too far east (i think everyone has concern about that).  I can take a closer approach not only for my hood, but also for my trip to Bartlett on Friday.  Bring it on.

How did the individual EC ensemble members look?  Was their much clustering?

22.7/9

Start time is always one of the most important aspects of any storm..so i don't agree that's it's pointless

It's pointless in the context I was using it...just the fact that it was still several days out. Whether we want to argue if it is 87 hours out or 96 hours out or 93 hours out, it does not matter to the uncertainty aspect right now.

Also talking about start time that far out isn't going to be very accurate. It's usually something that becomes more clear within 48 hours. Right now, it could be anywhere between Wednesday night and late Thursday morning.

Personally, the fact that this isn't modeled over ALB right now is a bad sign for this part of New England....my gut is telling me we may be seeing those 3-5 day out amped up solutions we've seen several times this winter. The trend this year in the final 48 hours has been for slightly more progressive solutions as the models get a better handle on the fast flow. If be open to changing that stance if someone had a good reason for why this would become more amped and further NW in reach...but with a kicker system coming in the northern stream and no real phasing, I'm leaning more progressive and east. Should be interesting to watch it play out.

This interior upstate NYer agrees with you 100%.

These systems have really failed us so far this year.

I get that, but some were suggesting we were 4-5 days out, to bolster their point.  We are not 4-5 days out, that is all I'm trying to say.  It is fragile but it is interesting and hope-producing that so much guidance is improving today, especially given that this timeframe has been flagged 10 days in advance.  Unlike todays supposed system, we are well under 5 days.  Of course it could still flop...

I will resist my temptation to go any further into what is seen as trolling and what is not.  I will take it to the banter thread.  I am optimisitic for  our storm that starts in less than 96 hours.  I believe the signal is multi-day, multi-source, and persistent.

Archived