• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z thru 7 is pretty boring...timing is off and things miss.

I'm betting over the next 10 days one of these will break better and we'll end up with some type of surprise system inside of 80 hours....but as far as these big threats that keep showing up 4/5 days +....meh. Fantasies most of the time.

GFS went from hefty rainstorm to storm in Bahamas to Swordfish storm in twelve hours, will eventually be back to the Euro

I like HPC's take on this, after they saw the overnight Euro.  They have a track implied that goes over the elbow of the cape into the GOM.  They have 1.25+ qpf for much of new england over 7 days.  Here is part of what they said.  This one seems to be slowly trending better.

LATEST GUIDANCE AND/OR TRENDS INDICATE THE
INGREDIENTS FOR POTENTIALLY WELL ORGANIZED WINTER PRECIPITATION
THREATS REMAINS WED-FRI INLAND TO THE SRN APPALACHIANS AND NEWD
ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC TO NEW ENGLAND ON THE NW PERIPHERY OF
FRONTAL/LOW FOCUSED PCPN SHIELDS. RECENT ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS
HAVE BEEN MOST SUPPORTIVE WITH LIFTING A COASTAL LOW UP OFF THE
ERN SEABOARD COMPARED TO CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND A SMALLER
BUT SLOWLY INCREASING NUMBER OF GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. THE LARGE

I like HPC's take on this, after they saw the overnight Euro.  They have a track implied that goes over the elbow of the cape into the GOM.  They have 1.25+ qpf for much of new england over 7 days.  Here is part of what they said.  This one seems to be slowly trending better.

LATEST GUIDANCE AND/OR TRENDS INDICATE THE

INGREDIENTS FOR POTENTIALLY WELL ORGANIZED WINTER PRECIPITATION

THREATS REMAINS WED-FRI INLAND TO THE SRN APPALACHIANS AND NEWD

ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC TO NEW ENGLAND ON THE NW PERIPHERY OF

FRONTAL/LOW FOCUSED PCPN SHIELDS. RECENT ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS

HAVE BEEN MOST SUPPORTIVE WITH LIFTING A COASTAL LOW UP OFF THE

ERN SEABOARD COMPARED TO CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND A SMALLER

BUT SLOWLY INCREASING NUMBER OF GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. THE LARGE

The Euro shows exactly what type of solution can happen if the upstream kicker delays just long enough. The GFS and CMC have it in a position such that the low has no room to amplify up the coast, it has to go wide right.

Yes op too amped, but track over the elbow would be delicious.  Which model is likely to have the best handle on the upstream kicker?  I had this progressive flow because you have to thik the kicker will best faster.  On the other hand the Euro has been fairly consistent for a number of runs now.

The GFS has done well with the progressive flow, and the Euro has had a tendency this year to over amplify systems at this range. Always a little unnerving to step out on that limb with the GFS though.

The GFS has done well with the progressive flow, and the Euro has had a tendency this year to over amplify systems at this range. Always a little unnerving to step out on that limb with the GFS though.

This is an interesting post when compared with what you posted in the 2/9 thread

I don't disagree it is just looking short term (this season) vs long term

This is an interesting post when compared with what you posted in the 2/9 thread

I don't disagree it is just looking short term (this season) vs long term

Yeah, those couple of weenie runs of the GFS were really awful. You are right about the short term versus long though. Of course I have no idea what the QPF numbers for this season would be.

Based on your overnight discussion and the HPC's and their qpf map, it is Chris vs. HPC   :)

As much as I had to say, my money is on you.

HPC did make a big jump from their previous forecast to what they have in their now. They basically went from chance PoP (25-30%) to categorical (75+) in the 12 hours between forecasts. I'm not ready to jump head first into that solution.

Archived