• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

LP track on the GFS is typically a perfect run for the I-85 corridor from N GA into NC. I think QPF will be more substantial as a rapidly deepening low rides along the SE coast. Even without it, the GFS puts up some great snow totals for parts of NC/SC/GA. We're in a good spot here.

And the euro, verbatim, if it moved east just 50 miles or so...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To burger's and Queencity's points- this is a really good set-up- best I have seen for the CLT area in several years.....you always want to be a little to the N of where bright-banding occurs- this is normally where the heaviest snow sets up.. last week was a good example- we had a pretty potent influx of cold, dry air from the NE, and it limited snowfall in and around CLT

LP track on the GFS is typically a perfect run for the I-85  corridor from N GA into NC.  I think QPF will be more substantial as a rapidly deepening low rides along the SE coast.  Even without it, the GFS puts up some great snow totals for parts of NC/SC/GA.  We're in a good spot here.

Mabe I am crazy, but this deal reminds me of Jan 2000. I don't think the totals will be as much, but the whole setup and the evolution of this feels similar.

Let's see how the storm rides the coast on the way NE. I would lean towards right on/off the coast... But there are indications more up the coastal plain

Keep in mind the 0z ECMWF had a 999 up the coastal plain over Fayetteville pushing the 850 0c to Foothills

12z ECMWF will be interesting to see how it changes

From what I can tell on my phone (modem died so no home Internet til tomorrow.. Go me! :( ), it looks like Columbus, GA will be right on the line for freezing rain. Most models keep us in the mid 30s with rain. I know they have a bit of a warm bias with regards to CAD, but will we be able to cool off in time to get in on the freezing rain action is the bigger question. Those North and East of me look to be under the gun with more ice and sleet and snow further north. This is going to be fun to watch...

Did north Georgia just get bullseyed?

I hope not - yet. Still a day away. Need to be bullseyed sometime late tomorrow pls lol. I think things are looking great. As others said what's with the negativity? At this point things seem to be trending and falling in line for a pretty classic se winter storm. Snow sleet ice. It's all there. Temps may be in mid to upper 20s for a lot of us. My excitement has passed containment (to the regret of my friends lol).

If things keep progressing like this we could have great storm. My only hesitations are 1 convection to the south stealing our moisture 2 what happens with any last min shifts when the s/w gets sampled well on shore this evening/overnight. If there are no huge shifts we should basically be good to go :thumbsup:

From what I can tell on my phone (modem died so no home Internet til tomorrow.. Go me! :( ), it looks like Columbus, GA will be right on the line for freezing rain. Most models keep us in the mid 30s with rain. I know they have a bit of a warm bias with regards to CAD, but will we be able to cool off in time to get in on the freezing rain action is the bigger question. Those North and East of me look to be under the gun with more ice and sleet and snow further north. This is going to be fun to watch...

For us, the NAM went to town, the GFS continued to cool 2m and verbatim its showing like 34-36.  As you and others have said, its got a warm bias and will probably be around 30-32

Another major shift in 24 hours on the GFS is how cold it is on Wednesday. Temps are almost a full 10 degrees colder at the sfc.

Yeah, big chances there.  It keeps GSO, RDU, CLT, HKY, etc. well into the 20s.  That's a pretty major storm as modeled with the potential for more with the phase.  While the overrunning is looking less impressive, especially up here, the potential for a "Big Dog" event seems to be growing if we can just get the phase in the right position.

EDIT: Canadian, OMG!  :pimp:  :snowing:  :snowing:

For us, the NAM went to town, the GFS continued to cool 2m and verbatim its showing like 34-36. As you and others have said, its got a warm bias and will probably be around 30-32

Yup! And another thing for others following this is to not look at MOS numbers as those are usually way too warm in CAD situations until too late, if they catch up at all. I've been snakebitten by doing that a handful of times when first forecasting this area and I still go a little too warm most of the time during CAD events. Heck, last Tuesday I had a forecast high of 59 and we only made it to 53, but that's because the warm front finally lifted north later in the evening; we actually stayed close to 50° most of the afternoon. A difference of 6° this time will mean the difference between cold rain or ice. That's just an example of what we mean by the models having a warm bias during CAD events...

Archived