Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a PL event?

Sleet. And I agree. This is looking like a largely IP event like 2/1979 and 1/1988 for ATL-AHN. The 850's of mainly +1 to +3 support as per climo. Also, I think there will likely be some snow early. The threat of a major ZR there is dropping imo.

This is fantastic trend todays 12z runs with the euro included.  2m and 850 temps are colder in GA, Larry, Chris.   Larry, my 850's never get above 5-6   vs 8-10 on the 00z run.  verbatim 2m temps are 34-35 but we know how that will go and they have been lowered from 00z run.  This run looks it hits Chris' area very hard with sleet?

Am I crazy or has the Euro slowed down the arrival time?

Looks about the same as far as timing.

This run is a touch warmer aloft over north ga/sc than the 0z run. i think it has to do with the fact precip is a fair bit lighter than the 0z run with the first wave. But it's heavier with the second wave. Just through hour 72 it has an inch or greater liguid from atlanta to athens and south. But there is another inch or so after 72. Overall it's actually wetter..showing 2 inches or greater liquid over central ga/sc..and right at 2 inches around atlanta to athens.

So the euro is a mixed bag for me. I don't like seeing that warming at 850, even though it's probably just noise. Still would likely spell sleet here but it's just so close between snow/sleet/rain with the first wave that the slightest deviation has huge consequences for my location.

In so far as the 2nd wave, it more or less is about the same temp wise at the surface in ga at first but ever so slightly colder over far east/northeast ga into south carolina. Massive ice/sleet storm for areas that we have talked about already

This is fantastic trend todays 12z runs with the euro included.  2m and 850 temps are colder in GA, Larry, Chris.   Larry, my 850's never get above 5-6   vs 8-10 on the 00z run.  verbatim 2m temps are 34-35 but we know how that will go and they have been lowered from 00z run.  This run looks it hits Chris' area very hard with sleet?

On my maps 850s are slightly warmer with the first wave but colder with the 2nd. Surface temp wise, I don't see much difference over north and northeast ga. If there is any, it's sort of splitting hairs. Regardless the first wave is really tough to nail down the smallest of temp differences aloft just makes a world of difference for areas along and south of 85. North of there it's snow but again precip is lighter. And it's just a huge mess with that second one with a buttload of precip

Yeah I agree, the low needs to get going way more SW of where the GEM shows it, sort of like a 1993 type setup for heavy snow there...my guess is it ends as some snow but is mainly a PL event...I do think you may escape a catastrophic ZR event at least in ATL...MCN may be a different story...I'm also strongly against any snow there tomorrow night, the WSWs to me are warranted but they should be from 2pm onward Tuesday, not tomorrow night, at least outside of far NRN GA.

Agreed on the mainly PL event. Also, I think some snow near the start, especially on the northside of ATL to AHN , looks quite possible now. 850's of +1 to +2 C do not support ZR per history in that area. If it is wintry with those 850's it is usually IP, not ZR or S.

Regarding start time, I would definitely not let it start as late as 2 PM. I still think that it could POSSIBLY start as early as about 5-9 AM (earliest further north like Cumming). I think it is quite conceivable that on the northside of ATL to AHN, especially, that it is snowing/sleeting nearly all day long (snow to sleet) after ~7-9 AM. Some models are very close to that, if not actually implying that. So, they definitely should play it safe imo, especially since this is only a watch and be open to that reasonable possibility. In my mind, I wouldn't take a chance that it starts in the AM rather than 2 PM+ with it being a close call per models. That could be snowjam 2014 all over again.

edit: per Euro, ATL-AHN looking at a lot of IP like 2/1979 and 1/1988! If that occurs, I expect temp.'s to fall into the middle 20's. I think lots of IP down to Tony! Euro 2 meter temp.'s 5+ too warm imo.

Edit 2: classic Miller a track of low with ample cold air to the north is consistent with climo to produce a major ATL-AHN winter storm such as the Euro and other models are showing. Very reasonable.

Edit: MCN-CAE major ZR looking even more likely per Euro and others. Be prepared just in case.

Archived