Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow..believe it or not, the gfs has it going from sleet to more or less a snow sounding in athens by hour 72. Only area above freezing is around 850mb and it's only 0.8c. if precip is heavy enough that is probably snow..at the least it's not freezing rain which is good news for yours truly. Very strong sleet sounding in atlanta by that time..although precip is almost over

Are y'all looking at heavy precip overcoming the mid-layer warmth? That would be great news for folks up that way.

It's easily warning criteria and possibly up to half a foot for the city. If you can find something to complain about there, I can't help you.

yeah this is a good snow for most of north carolina.

Just a reminder about cod's legend..which is a little different than most. Medium green is 0.50 and dark green is 1

gfsUS_sfc_precacc_090.gif

The only prob is the gfs moves in trends. if the euro is on to something with the mega phase, this is probably the beginning of a jump towards that solution. while i don't think the slp will be inland, a track just off the coastline is probably not out of the question. that would change most of nc over to sleet east of the foothills and far western piedmont. ga/sc would get an intial surge of snow but change to sleet/freezing rain. a change back over to snow is probably likely if this setup results.

You're looking in a better spot each minute. This thing is going to keep trending colder. 

Just hope it holds or trends a little colder still because I'm just barely cold enough to have snow on both systems. Any warmer at all and it changes drastically for me but I'm very happy with the trends overall. 

As I said earlier though, I am a bit worried about that heavy precip to the south screwing up amounts up here, that is if it's real and not convective feedback. But since the nam shows it too, it's worth paying attention to.

Hey Wow or Burger how much earlier did the Euro phase in comparison to the 12z GFS in order to tuck it inland and up the coast was it just a tick off or?

Euro was very aggressive with the phase and actually brought the low inland.. an early phase.. it's close, and the timing of phasing is the toughest thing to forecast...   Euro Ens however kept the low off shore.

If the low does come on shore, the snow/sleet line will shift west. For the W Piedmont we like to see the LP track just off shore.  Dealing with a coastal low is a whole different animal compared to an overrunning event.

Have only looked at the maps and it looks like we do have maybe a half an inch of precipitation over the 2day stretch.  If all snow I would gladly take it.  But it was not a good trend. Precipitation wise. 

The trend is our friend.  The earlier runs had us within a mile or two of being mostly sleet or freezing rain.  Now we are still getting thumped hard but we have 15 or 20 miles of wiggle room for the dreaded warm nose.

The trend is our friend. The earlier runs had us within a mile or two of being mostly sleet or freezing rain. Now we are still getting thumped hard but we have 15 or 20 miles of wiggle room for the dreaded warm nose.

One thing that 2011 taught me is you don't want to be too entrenched in the cold air for the best snowfall rates. That's why you guys and the Sandhills did better than people like burger and me. I like being right on that line. It'll jump up and bite you sometimes for sure though.

If anything this is getting colder for us per the GFS and NAM. Less worry of ice, question will be if the low can bomb out. Looks like all snow. 

Awesome! I can tell it is a colder solution. I just do not want this thing to get too far north. i can MOST DEF live with this run! HOWEVER, i would LOVE to see one 12"+, so you can finally remove the "Triangle of snow death". LMAO.

I've got a count of .71 for the airport which would probably be all snow before transitioning to FZDZ sometime early Thursday morning. Best event since 2011 if it holds.

That could be too light because I think the gfs might be under estimating totals because of that convective blob it's showing.  If that is just convective feedback and not real, I would think totals will be higher across the board from north ga, upstate and north carolina

wow..believe it or not, the gfs has it going from sleet to more or less a snow sounding in athens by hour 72. Only area above freezing is around 850mb and it's only 0.8c. if precip is heavy enough that is probably snow..at the least it's not freezing rain which is good news for yours truly. Very strong sleet sounding in atlanta by that time..although precip is almost over

The trends are very clear IMO.  Usually the GFS, like EURO are always to warm in wedges at 2m around our areas.  Either way, if euro holds the trends from today, hmmmmm

That could be too light because I think the gfs might be under estimating totals because of that convective blob it's showing. If that is just convective feedback and not real, I would think totals will be higher across the board from north ga, upstate and north carolina

I like where we're at, Chris. I don't get the negativity over the past 24 hours.

Just hope it holds or trends a little colder still because I'm just barely cold enough to have snow on both systems. Any warmer at all and it changes drastically for me but I'm very happy with the trends overall. 

As I said earlier though, I am a bit worried about that heavy precip to the south screwing up amounts up here, that is if it's real and not convective feedback. But since the nam shows it too, it's worth paying attention to.

LP track on the GFS is typically a perfect run for the I-85  corridor from N GA into NC.  I think QPF will be more substantial as a rapidly deepening low rides along the SE coast.  Even without it, the GFS puts up some great snow totals for parts of NC/SC/GA.  We're in a good spot here.

Taking a blend of all of the H5 looks on models would make for a great SE storm. No need to be negative.

Honestly, it's been a long couple of winters and I think that's led to people losing objectivity.

I'd take a blend of all of them right now and call it a winter. Euro/GFS both give me at least 4" of snow(more on the GFS AND ECEns).

Archived