• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

THe cad will keep trending stronger. look at the high pressure on any current sfc analysis over the northern plains, it's an arctic hp with source regions over the nw territories. it's just another reason any thermal boundary that sets up will likely be off the coastline. this situation looks pretty classic. everyone needs to take a deep breath and quit model hugging.

Absolutely.  Even the threat of the ZR is beginning to lurk into the inland counties of the Lowcountry, and if any model is going to pick up on the degree of it, it's almost always the NAM, and in stronger CAD situations, even it's usually too warm 48 hours out. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that yet another low spinning up in the GOM?  And if so, would it trail the first low, or be forced further east? Can't say I've seen that before, so apologies if that's an ignorant question.

I think more likely the LP center will consolidate into one.  Right now models are a little confused which piece of energy it wants to treat as the leading wave.. as we move closer it will sniff it out.

I disagree. The storm back in January of 2000 at least in the Dawsonville area had at least an inch of snow on the ground before freezing rain began.

I was talking for mby. I wasn't here in 2000. Also I wasn't talking about snow to ice. I was talking about snow on the ground before the wedge kicks in. Usually the wedge builds in and precip arrives. This is a different set up (also I will admit I have no idea how cads work in dawsonville lol)

Many times be ga starts as snow and gets an initial thump then a change over to ip and zr. This is showing a snowfall. Then a wedge type second wave

I was talking for mby. I wasn't here in 2000. Also I wasn't talking about snow to ice. I was talking about snow on the ground before the wedge kicks in. Usually the wedge builds in and precip arrives. This is a different set up (also I will admit I have no idea how cads work in dawsonville lol)

Many times be ga starts as snow and gets an initial thump then a change over to ip and zr. This is showing a snowfall. Then a wedge type second wave

Check your PM. I was assuming you were still in the clarksville/MT Airy vacinity when I made my post. Cad is a bit less potent here as we are a bit further west. Oh with that being the case, well we live in the south. How many times is there snow on the ground for extended periods anyways? LOL (Ill stop bantering now, you can delete this if you want lookout)

These model runs remind me of the big storm we got here in Anderson County (East TN Central Valley) on Grounghog Day 1996. Meteorologists were calling for rain and maybe ice. Day of the storm they were calling for up to 5 inches of ice. Ended up with about 30 minutes of sleet and then the heaviest snowfall I've ever witnessed. And we got 2 feet of snow.

Bastardi placing more weight on the ECMWF in his morning video to clients.

Carolinas are covered but the big ticket he thinks is how the NE gets the largest snows from this.

Joe's thoughts are that the storm Wednesday will come just inland up the coastal plain and off around Norfolk.

Still we don't get left out and if Bastardi is correct, most in the Carolinas will be pleased.

interesting thought - was discussed briefly yesterday (i think) at one point.  we didnt remember a wedge coming in with snow cover either. i would tend to agree with you, if anything it could help with that extra degree or two drop that we so often need here in ga lol.  i have had storms come in and go snow to ice or rain. i do not recall a one two punch like is being shown.

this seems for the most part (as others stated this morning) to be looking like a more usual se winter storm with snow, sleet and freezing rain (to rain in some areas).  since we are what, less than two days away its looking pretty good.  we are almost to the point of being able to see the temps and radar start lighting up lol

This is a very valid point.  Just with the recent icestorm event that traversed back on 1/29.  KCHS stayed below FRZ for about 50 consecutive hours, thanks in part to upstream snow cover in the Pee Dee region of SC and the snow cover in Eastern NC as the NNE winds continued to funnel down.   

Archived