Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

I look for a WSW for the northern counties in MD in the 3 PM update

Anyone remember when LWX would issue an SPS days in advance of a potential storm? Like if was a Saturday and there was a threat, say, 5 days away, they would issue an SPS with a headline "SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM POSSIBLE MIDWEEK..." or something to that effect and of course add that it was too early to go into specifics. Maybe I'm just making this up (lol), but I seem to remember them doing it frequently a long, long time ago (like 2005 and before). As a young weenie a long time ago, it would always signal to me that a storm threat was legit.

Anyway, back on topic...NAM time ;)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50s and even 60 degrees for two days before a marginal temp event... Hmmm... I wonder.

Translation:

Anyone who thinks there will be more than 1-2" of accumulation east of IAD hasn't lived In this area all that long.

50's and even 60 degrees effect on ground that has been frozen for weeks. Hmmmm, I wonder.

Translation: very little effect on accumulating snow with the possible exception of temporary issues in the beginning on paved surfaces

50's and even 60 degrees effect on ground that has been frozen for weeks. Hmmmm, I wonder.

Translation: very little effect on accumulating snow with the possible exception of temporary issues in the beginning on paved surfaces

I'd be more concerned with the massive amounts of salt everywhere.  It was 7 degrees at night with light snow coming down when we got brushed with the SE storm and it was still turning to water on the roads :[

SREF is probably one of the best tools in the svr weather box in the 24-48 hour range but I can't remember a time where it's been all that useful when it comes to snow. It's like SOP for it to ramp way up going into an event and then end up wrong.

WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-MONTGOMERY-
HOWARD-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-
SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-WARREN-CLARKE-LOUDOUN-WESTERN HIGHLAND-
EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-
WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-
WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...
GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...WINCHESTER...
FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...MARTINSBURG...
CHARLES TOWN...MOOREFIELD...BAYARD...MOUNT STORM...PETERSBURG...
ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...FORT ASHBY...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN
311 PM EST SAT FEB 1 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY
EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR FIVE INCHES OR MORE.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT SUNDAY...AND
  CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION
  IS EXPECTED MONDAY MORNING.

SREF is probably one of the best tools in the svr weather box in the 24-48 hour range but I can't remember a time where it's been all that useful when it comes to snow. It's like SOP for it to ramp way up going into an event and then end up wrong.

Very much so, however you guys are in a great spot for this one. Good luck

WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-MONTGOMERY-

HOWARD-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-

SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-WARREN-CLARKE-LOUDOUN-WESTERN HIGHLAND-

EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-

WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-

WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...

GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...WINCHESTER...

FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...MARTINSBURG...

CHARLES TOWN...MOOREFIELD...BAYARD...MOUNT STORM...PETERSBURG...

ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...FORT ASHBY...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN

311 PM EST SAT FEB 1 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY

EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR FIVE INCHES OR MORE.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT SUNDAY...AND

CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION

IS EXPECTED MONDAY MORNING.

:tomato:

Anyone remember when LWX would issue an SPS days in advance of a potential storm? Like if was a Saturday and there was a threat, say, 5 days away, they would issue an SPS with a headline "SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM POSSIBLE MIDWEEK..." or something to that effect and of course add that it was too early to go into specifics. Maybe I'm just making this up (lol), but I seem to remember them doing it frequently a long, long time ago (like 2005 and before). As a young weenie a long time ago, it would always signal to me that a storm threat was legit.

Anyway, back on topic...NAM time ;)

Nope, not making it up at all.... you summed it up perfectly. I miss those special weather statements.

You got it winterwxluv, ground will still be solid frozen and radiating below top 1". Lot of yapping again this time, just like last one, about how we don't kow what is what. This is a classic rain to start, switch to snow n&w of Beltway, city up for grabs but also likely goes over to snow. Gotta get decent baro. support, >30.10 essential, 30.20 would be good, 30.25 great.

You got it winterwxluv, ground will still be solid frozen and radiating below top 1". Lot of yapping again this time, just like last one, about how we don't kow what is what. This is a classic rain to start, switch to snow n&w of Beltway, city up for grabs but also likely goes over to snow. Gotta get decent baro. support, >30.10 essential, 30.20 would be good, 30.25 great.

I think that will help especially west and north where the 850s are not an issue. In the city I'm not so sure as there is lots of asphalt.  mby the Euro was really slow getting the 850 temps to drop below freezing.

Archived