joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies in advance for my spot on banter.

This storm sucks for DC and south.

Hey. I'm south, so it sucks.

Good luck to the NW burbs and northern MD. Hope you all get dumped on at the height of the storm. This is one heavy qpf storm.

Nice white rain for the rest of us.

Will the 00z Euro make a liar of me?

Hope so.

Apologies in advance for my spot on banter.

This storm sucks for DC and south.

Hey. I'm south, so it sucks.

Good luck to the NW burbs and northern MD. Hope you all get dumped on at the height of the storm. This is one heavy qpf storm.

Nice white rain for the rest of us.

Will the 00z Euro make a liar of me?

Hope so.

Eulogy for the storm.

There was some discussion earlier today about the fall line http://www.virginiaplaces.org/regions/fallshape.html

I am about 5 miles west of the fall line. However, that will do me no good in Monday's storm. I will still see a great deal of liquid. 

Now Leesburg, that is a far different matter. They are well west of the fall line and they got 550 feet of elevation as well. I've seen that region. Rt 7 and also Rt 9, major elevation rises especially where Rt 7 hits Rt 9 - they are going to get absolutely annihilated by Monday's storm. They will probably see no rain at all - all snow and lots of it. Rt 7 where there is this bridge that I refer to as the Skyway Bridge, it connects to a part of Rt 7 that I called West Rt 7, that particular stretch has a LOT of rise in elevation. You pass under three bridges then comes a major rise in elevation as you approach Rt 9. Anyone who travels in those parts or who resides there knows exactly what I am describing. Monday that entire area is going to be a winter wonderland.

We are talking hideous amounts of rain determined by only a few crucial degrees of temperature and two factors that often determine the winners in these meteorological contests: Elevation, and How far west you reside from the dreaded fall line. North placement helps too. You got elevation plus western and north placement, you are going to receive a fortune in heavy snow many times in these setups.

There was some discussion earlier today about the fall line http://www.virginiaplaces.org/regions/fallshape.html

I am about 5 miles west of the fall line. However, that will do me no good in Monday's storm. I will still see a great deal of liquid.

Now Leesburg, that is a far different matter. They are well west of the fall line and they got 550 feet of elevation as well. I've seen that region. Rt 7 and also Rt 9, major elevation rises especially where Rt 7 hits Rt 9 - they are going to get absolutely annihilated by Monday's storm. They will probably see no rain at all - all snow and lots of it. Rt 7 where there is this bridge that I refer to as the Skyway Bridge, it connects to a part of Rt 7 that I called West Rt 7, that particular stretch has a LOT of rise in elevation. You pass under three bridges then comes a major rise in elevation as you approach Rt 9. Anyone who travels in those parts or who resides there knows exactly what I am describing. Monday that entire area is going to be a winter wonderland.

We are talking hideous amounts of rain determined by only a few crucial degrees of temperature and two factors that often determine the winners in these meteorological contests: Elevation, and How far west you reside from the dreaded fall line. North placement helps too. You got elevation plus western and north placement, you are going to receive a fortune in heavy snow many times in these setups.

I am at 7 and 9. About 630 ft. We do well when even the town does not.

Even though the forecast is for 2-4 here, I think it will be more like an inch or 2. But I am kinda sitting this one out. I honestly don't care if I get snow or not. I got mine Tuesday night with 5 inches of sparkling fluff. SN+ at 12 degrees was awesome, and I wasn't expecting it. I am just having fun tracking the Monday storm and hoping the Immediate DC area somehow gets pasted. You guys are so overdue and this storm could do it with the intense lift that should be passing near or over DC area. I just got a feeling...

SREFs are definitely wet but the surface line never gets to DC. 850s fall below 0 somewhere between 10a and 1p. I'm interested to see the surface temps on the plumes when they come out in a few. Maybe a few of the over amped members are skewing the surface temps?

There is a large amount of color fill along I-95 on the 850 maps as well...

Even though the forecast is for 2-4 here, I think it will be more like an inch or 2. But I am kinda sitting this one out. I honestly don't care if I get snow or not. I got mine Tuesday night with 5 inches of sparkling fluff. SN+ at 12 degrees was awesome, and I wasn't expecting it. I am just having fun tracking the Monday storm and hoping the Immediate DC area somehow gets pasted. You guys are so overdue and this storm could do it with the intense lift that should be passing near or over DC area. I just got a feeling...

Agreed. Lots of people are being overly pessimistic. If this was before 3/6 and 12/10 everyone would be calling for 2-4 or 3-6.

Archived