Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The New February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally I'd be pissed at a bust, but I personally couldn't call yesterday mornings fiasco a true bust IMBY. Yeah, LWX had 3-5" in my zone fcst as late as Sunday night, but deep down I knew that wasn't going to happen. We had known for 2 days that things probably weren't going to work out, and getting to or near 60 on Sunday was another sign. Yeah, we got NAM'ED a few times, especially the 6z Sunday run, but still. I think it was clear for a while that there was a very high chance we'd end up with nothing, so when it was still a driving rainstorm at 8:30, I couldn't say I was surprised, even if my irrational weenie mind was hoping for the best case scenario of a quick changeover and heavy rates leading to accumulation.

I did expect more than one hour of measly flakes at the end, as I thought I would at least see heavy snow falling for a while, but oh well. I am pissed Philly cashed in again though. :angry:;)

I normally just stay in the MA forum because all I care about is my backyard and the DC/Baltimore metro areas overall, but I just took a quick peak in the Philly forum. Man...what happened?? Only 485 replies in the obs thread, only 368 in the thread for discussion leading up to the storm, only 50 replies in the thread for this weekends threat...

The joke "how much for Philly?" was used so much in the WWBB days because the number of Philly weenies were out of control, and they would always ask that. Their forum now is like a ghost town in comparison.

Checking out some of the other subforums--we may not get as much snow, and obviously I'm biased, but the MA forum is clearly the best. ;)

I normally just stay in the MA forum because all I care about is my backyard and the DC/Baltimore metro areas overall, but I just took a quick peak in the Philly forum. Man...what happened?? Only 485 replies in the obs thread, only 368 in the thread for discussion leading up to the storm, only 50 replies in the thread for this weekends threat...

The joke "how much for Philly?" was used so much in the WWBB days because the number of Philly weenies were out of control, and they would always ask that. Their forum now is like a ghost town in comparison.

Checking out some of the other subforums--we may not get as much snow, and obviously I'm biased, but the MA forum is clearly the best. ;)

The C PA board is good and has a decent amount of nice folks. Arguably a more pleasant read than this board. People get too caught up in every single model run and have a hard time enjoying anything here. The weekend threat thread is a rollercoaster of emotions and will likely keep rolling non stop til Sunday.

tombo and a few others took their toys and started their own forum.

I think most of them left and started their own board.

The C PA board is good and has a decent amount of nice folks. Arguably a more pleasant read than this board. People get too caught up in every single model run and have a hard time enjoying anything here. The weekend threat thread is a rollercoaster of emotions and will likely keep rolling non stop til Sunday.

That's to be expected though in a hobby where we can't control the outcomes. The roller coaster ride is part of the fun. Yeah, some take it to the extreme, lol, but some also expect way too much out of us weenies. It's impossible to remain completely level-headed when you're tracking a storm from 7 days out. ;) 

tombo and a few others took their toys and started their own forum.

I think most of them left and started their own board.

Oh wow, I must have missed that. The ghost town makes sense now, lol. Not sure why they would feel the need to do that, but whatever floats their boat, I guess. 

I really wish I would have found Eastern during the 2009-2010 winter. I can only imagine what it was like. JI probably cancelled winter in the middle of January that year.

At least once maybe more.. But t wasn't that good of a winter except for a few weeks.

At least once maybe more.. But t wasn't that good of a winter except for a few weeks.

When you live in our climate and have a winter like 09-10- with 3 big storms giving us record snowfall that winter... It was a pretty happening winter to say the least.

I also remember SOMEONE (not you Ian) saying, "I don't care if we see another storm for (x) amount of time- this is awesome!"

Thanks for the jinxes :)

When you live in our climate and have a winter like 09-10- with 3 big storms giving us record snowfall that winter... It was a pretty happening winter to say the least.

)

Yeah, I don't know if Ian was just joking, but I've heard a lot of other people say "09-10 wasn't that great except for a few weeks." This is DC...you aren't going to get a wall-to-wall snowy and cold winter with a big snow storm every other week. Even going back to our last epic winter before 09-10, 2002-2003, all of January pretty much sucked (we did get a nice surprise clipper to begin the month though).

We had 3 HECS (2 of them being in different months), and from Jan 30-Feb 10 we had 4 WSW criteria snowfalls, leading to our snowiest winter on record. I'd take that any day over a 4" storm every other week and otherwise nickel-and-diming our way to record totals. ;)

So good/bad news from the dr. Shoulder does have a slight tear and lots of fluid build up around the joint. However, dr didn't think surgery was necessary at this time. Gave me a shot of lidocaine and cortisone and sent me on my way. Said no working out for two weeks, take it easy until then, and if it's still bothering 4-6 weeks from now then we would reevaluate.

So that's good,I guess.

So good/bad news from the dr. Shoulder does have a slight tear and lots of fluid build up around the joint. However, dr didn't think surgery was necessary at this time. Gave me a shot of lidocaine and cortisone and sent me on my way. Said no working out for two weeks, take it easy until then, and if it's still bothering 4-6 weeks from now then we would reevaluate.

So that's good,I guess.

Anything which avoids surgery in the short-term is good, IMO. Hard to see where being conservative for now with treatment is a bad option for that injury.

So that's good,I guess.

It's good news that it isn't a total tear where surgery is required.  Between the shots and rest it hopefully will be enough to let it heal and be good to go.

So that's good,I guess.

That is GOOD news K.

I went through the same thing about 14 years ago, also from working out (poor form/posture for the win on that f-up.).

The first injection lasted about 4 weeks or so, and I did absolutely nothing that would annoy the tear during that time. If I felt it pop or click, an ice pack was applied immediately.

A lot of people were saying that their first shot didn't last long, but almost every one of them said their 2nd shot took care of it.  So when the Dr. suggested a 2nd shot, I agreed. And once again, I avoided any movement which resulted in feeling the labral tear click or lock.

Moral to my story? Play your cards right, and you'll quite likely avoid surgery. Think of your shoulder like a grizzly bear that you really don't want to piss off, any more than it already is.  ;)

P.S. If the tear is on the front side of the shoulder, make sure to push your shoulders back before using the arm.  Doing so opens up that area of the joint, decreasing the chances of rolling over the tear, inflaming it and starting the vicious cycle all over again.

That's the best I got hon. Hang in, be kind to it, and the time will fly by.  :hug:

Archived