Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow/non-Clipper/High wind/Windex Event Disco Jan. 25th

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coating to an inch forecast and getting 1.5" is a bust?

I'm glad you weren't a client of mine. :lol:

My personal forecast of C-1 with maybe a few spot 2 inchers I'm quite happy with.

It's not a big deal and the difference between the two is miniscule.  I get that but when someone is called out for calling for amounts more than an inch and the constant trying to prove that it was wrong gets annoying.  It is technically an bust.  :D  (but not a huge one)

Your call was spot on - others called for maybe 1".

That was my forecast too (C-1" with scattered 2" spots) and we ended up with 1.5" here. 

Most of the local news stations went with C-2" which worked out pretty well. 

I hadn't heard the calls for up to 2".

Maybe pickup some more if that squall line out in NYS holds together?

Man that's a heckuva mid winter squall in BGM, classic style. Today was a very interesting day of weather watching, very untypical. OES flakes wafting down when I woke up coating my truck, howling southerly winds with a ground gust to 44 and an elevated 62, temps soar to 36 but then drop in ssw winds with pretty strong winds and squally snows, then a flash freeze. All in all great stuff.

Man that's a heckuva mid winter squall in BGM, classic style. Today was a very interesting day of weather watching, very untypical. OES flakes wafting down when I woke up coating my truck, howling southerly winds with a ground gust to 44 and an elevated 62, temps soar to 36 but then drop in ssw winds with pretty strong winds and squally snows, then a flash freeze. All in all great stuff.

One thing I dd love about Ithaca was the squalls with arctic fronts...they'd often pick up lake moisture so the fronts almost always had some good squalls there...brief 100 yard visibility type stuff...pretty cool.

It's not a big deal and the difference between the two is miniscule.  I get that but when someone is called out for calling for amounts more than an inch and the constant trying to prove that it was wrong gets annoying.  It is technically an bust.  :D  (but not a huge one)

Your call was spot on - others called for maybe 1".

I think he brings it upon himself when some of us try and tell him that his forecast is too bullish or extreme. Like "widespread 1-2 with 3-4" lollis"...then trying massage that into a good forecast and saying people should tell him "great job" because there were some pockets 1.5" of snow amongst a widespread C-1".

Maybe we'd better off just ignoring it. Because I agree the semantical arguments start getting mind numbing. I know how hard forecasting snow is, so I'd certainly be one of the first to congrats a good forecast. What I don't have sympathy for is anyone trying to get kudos for a mediocre or poor forecast or trying to spin it into a good one. (people would often criticize JB for this after a busted extreme storm call).

Archived