12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point and click increased to 7" - 11" overnight ..a 2" increase over the previous forecast.  16F, mod snow right now. 

Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -6. Blustery, with a north wind around 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

I'm in Somerville, very close to Main St. I was just out measuring and I'd say 9.5 if the average. 13 degrees here. Very little wind, so no drifting. I was hoping for a foot, maybe we'll get some more overnight. At least 0.5 more just so I can say an even 10. This is my third winter in Somerville, and this is the deepest storm so far. The snow if so light, it was easy shoveling. 

A trained spotter in Somerville measured 10.3", FYI.

Never, lol.  Shoveling snow is my absolutely favorite "chore" - I love being out in the snow while it's falling, especially at night, when it's perfectly quiet - shoveling in multiple sessions makes it pretty easy.  Plus, I absolutely hate the noise from snowblowers. 

Even though it can be rough on the back, snow shoveling is very good exercise as well. I'm very active with work outdoors during the other 3 seasons, but in winter I get very little exercise. So I look forward to snow is the winter, so I can get a little exercise. I would never imagine of getting a snowblower, as long as I'm healthy.

Where is my 4-6"?? lol.. Do they mean 4-6 flakes?

Sharp cut-off on the northern edge is pretty typical for these coastals. Even the guy in Ossining only reported 4" while my parents in Southern Westchester 10-15 miles away had close to a foot.

This was similar to the 1/2 storm...The Poconos had 4" where I was while my house in southern Brooklyn had 11". Northwest areas have been screwed a lot these past several seasons.

6-8" ? Measure in several spots. Relatives off Grundy Avenue measured just over an avg of 11" over 6 spots.

yes i'm near Grundy, i'm south of Vets Highway (454)... i actually just went and measured in, i would say, 10 spots... 5 in the back and 5 in the front... highest i got, without going in the drifts, was 9.5" and the lowest i got was 7"... i'd say i'm closer to 8...

Even though it can be rough on the back, snow shoveling is very good exercise as well. I'm very active with work outdoors during the other 3 seasons, but in winter I get very little exercise. So I look forward to snow is the winter, so I can get a little exercise. I would never imagine of getting a snowblower, as long as I'm healthy.

I think it's fine if your health is decent...it's a great work out.

Sharp cut-off on the northern edge is pretty typical for these coastals. Even the guy in Ossining only reported 4" while my parents in Southern Westchester 10-15 miles away had close to a foot.

This was similar to the 1/2 storm...The Poconos had 4" where I was while my house in southern Brooklyn had 11". Northwest areas have been screwed a lot these past several seasons.

I still had over 7" with crappy snow growth with the early Jan storm. Cant compare the 2 sorry..

And these sharp cutoffs are not typical of coastals.. They are typical of coastals within the last 4 yrs lol.. 

Now 9.5 inches of snow on the ground in Port Jefferson as of 10:20 PM...picked up 2 new inches in a little less than 2 hours. Continuing to snow moderately.

Twas another great time enjoying the development of this storm over the last 48-72 hours with all you guys. Cranford seems to be calling it quits now and every measurement I've taken has ranged from 9.5-11" so I'd go with a 10.25" average. Lets see how the next few weeks turn out with this pattern setting up. 

Now just to pray that I get the phone call at 7 AM saying that our office in S.I. is closed for the day.

Archived