12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HMOG - Holy Mother of God!  Snow is just ripping!  Last measured at 5 pm and had 6" - must have 8" by now.  About to head out to the local pub (Hailey's) in Metuchen. 

Just got back home after a few hours at the local pub with about 15-20 friends and some of their kids - was fun seeing how excited some of the kids were (most were about 8-12 years old) and since I post a lot of weather info/analysis on FB, turns out I've become a minor celebrity to some of the kids, especially in predicting schools would close (which they did around 8:30 pm to a huge roar from all the kids), and to one kid who's seriously into weather - asked me questions non-stop, lol. 

Anyway, measured around 9 pm and we have about 10.5", on average, here in Metuchen.  Snow was epic while we were at the pub - kept going outside, just to soak it in - but by the time we got home, snow had lightened up and now the radar seems like it's fallen apart.  Hope we get a little bit more - was hoping to get to 12".  Shoveled for abou the 4th time and snow had stopped by then.  Some drifting going on, but not too crazy - a few 18" drifts.  I'm sure the last few hours was close to 20:1 ratios - simply gorgeous dendrites. 

Looks like some of the returns are trying to push north again from central nj

The latest HRRR which ran at 23Z suggested from 06-10Z snow from NYC eastward again with central and eastern LI seeing quite a bit...its interesting how most models had showed a noticeable drop in QPF starting right near 03Z and thats whats happened.

Mount Holly Radar is starting to show returns turn more due north.
FWIW

The latest HRRR which ran at 23Z suggested from 06-10Z snow from NYC eastward again with central and eastern LI seeing quite a bit...its interesting how most models had showed a noticeable drop in QPF starting right near 03Z and thats whats happened.

Just got back home after a few hours at the local pub with about 15-20 friends and some of their kids - was fun seeing how excited some of the kids were (most were about 8-12 years old) and since I post a lot of weather info/analysis on FB, turns out I've become a minor celebrity to some of the kids, especially in predicting schools would close (which they did around 8:30 pm to a huge roar from all the kids), and to one kid who's seriously into weather - asked me questions non-stop, lol. 

Anyway, measured around 9 pm and we have about 10.5", on average, here in Metuchen.  Snow was epic while we were at the pub - kept going outside, just to soak it in - but by the time we got home, snow had lightened up and now the radar seems like it's fallen apart.  Hope we get a little bit more - was hoping to get to 12".  Shoveled for abou the 4th time and snow had stopped by then.  Some drifting going on, but not too crazy - a few 18" drifts.  I'm sure the last few hours was close to 20:1 ratios - simply gorgeous dendrites. 

Get a snow blower. Shoveling is really bad for your back. Bought one after the winter of 94 and consider it a necessity. There have been multiple years 97-99 where I didn't need it;, but lord knows it came in handy in the next decade.

Snow winding down here, just finished shoveling and measuring 12 3/5" here maybe and I mean maybe we get another inch if it pushes a little more north than currently modeled, but nevertheless this was a good storm and there is no getting past that. Hopefully the weekend storm pans out so I can add on to the 4' pile I made  :santa:

the fat lady singing here

Not yet... Still snowing moderately to heavy at times in central and southern Jersey. Did not end at 9pm there lol and it's not going to for the next couple of hours. Some echoes are trying to push north towards NEJ and NYC now! But hey it has to end at some point lol

Very light snow now. I'd say a little over 9"

This is what I was talking about before - when you post data, but your location isn't in your profile, the data are close to useless.  Not trying to be a jerk about it, but there are a lot of folks who don't have locations noted and all of you would provide much more value to the board if you'd include your location in your profile. It's very easy to do by clicking on your name, then editing the profile and adding a location.   

Guest acoolerclimate

I'm in Somerville, very close to Main St. I was just out measuring and I'd say 9.5 if the average. 13 degrees here. Very little wind, so no drifting. I was hoping for a foot, maybe we'll get some more overnight. At least 0.5 more just so I can say an even 10. This is my third winter in Somerville, and this is the deepest storm so far. The snow if so light, it was easy shoveling. 

Get a snow blower. Shoveling is really bad for your back. Bought one after the winter of 94 and consider it a necessity. There have been multiple years 97-99 where I didn't need it;, but lord knows it came in handy in the next decade.

Never, lol.  Shoveling snow is my absolutely favorite "chore" - I love being out in the snow while it's falling, especially at night, when it's perfectly quiet - shoveling in multiple sessions makes it pretty easy.  Plus, I absolutely hate the noise from snowblowers. 

Archived