• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

I'm in Somerville, very close to Main St. I was just out measuring and I'd say 9.5 if the average. 13 degrees here. Very little wind, so no drifting. I was hoping for a foot, maybe we'll get some more overnight. At least 0.5 more just so I can say an even 10. This is my third winter in Somerville, and this is the deepest storm so far. The snow if so light, it was easy shoveling. 

I am headed down your way. We do a lawyers lot on the other side of the train station, they converted the old train station into an office building. Its a long walk way and what sucks is the town goes curb to curb with their plowing and that throws all the snow back on the sidewalks. I will probably be out from 11PM tonight to 2 PM tomorrow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I'm buying Mt. Holly's recent comments that we might still get 1-3" along I-95.  Radar looks pretty bad right now, although I guess those bands in SJ might swing up here - looks like they'll stay well to the SE of the NJ Turnpike, though...

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

WE HAVE REMOVED THE WINTER STORM WARNING FROM THE COUNTIES OF
BERKS, LEHIGH, NORTHAMPTON AND WARREN. WE HAVE REMOVED THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FROM THE COUNTIES OF CARBON, MONROE AND SUSSEX
(NEW JERSEY).

A BAND OF MODERATE SNOWFALL REMAINED JUST TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE
INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR AT 930 PM. THE SNOWFALL RATES IN THE BAND
ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH GRADUALLY OVERNIGHT AS IT DRIFTS
SOUTHEASTWARD AND AS IT LOSES ITS UPPER LEVEL SUPPORT.

MEANWHILE, AN AREA OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL WAS LOCATED OVER
SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA AND VICINITY. THE PRECIPITATION WAS OUT
AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING MID LEVEL SHORT WAVE TROUGH. THE MODERATE
TO HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL CONTINUE TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND IT
SHOULD IMPACT PARTS OF SOUTHERN DELAWARE AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY
DURING THE NIGHT.

WHILE THE BULK OF THE SNOW TOTALS HAVE ALREADY FALLEN IN MOST
PLACES, EXCEPT FOR OUR SOUTHEASTERN COUNTIES, ADDITIONAL SNOW WILL
FALL DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS. THE BACK EDGE OF THE SNOW
SHOULD NOT REACH THE COAST UNTIL AROUND DAYBREAK.

THE SNOW HAS ENDED IN THE POCONOS AND IT WILL END SHORTLY IN
BERKS COUNTY, THE LEHIGH VALLEY AND NORTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY.
ANOTHER 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE ALONG AND NEAR THE
INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR. AGAIN, OUR SOUTHEASTERN COUNTIES WILL PICK
UP THE BULK OF THEIR SNOWFALL OVERNIGHT WITH TOTALS IN THE 4 TO 8
INCH RANGE.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

Guest acoolerclimate

acoolerclimate, on 21 Jan 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm in Somerville, very close to Main St. I was just out measuring and I'd say 9.5 if the average. 13 degrees here. Very little wind, so no drifting. I was hoping for a foot, maybe we'll get some more overnight. At least 0.5 more just so I can say an even 10. This is my third winter in Somerville, and this is the deepest storm so far. The snow if so light, it was easy shoveling. 

"A trained spotter in Somerville measured 10.3", FYI."

Awesome! Thanks. I figured I'm under doing it by a bit because I didn't measure every six hours. This light and fluffy of snow probably packs down quickly. 

Even though it can be rough on the back, snow shoveling is very good exercise as well. I'm very active with work outdoors during the other 3 seasons, but in winter I get very little exercise. So I look forward to snow is the winter, so I can get a little exercise. I would never imagine of getting a snowblower, as long as I'm healthy.

Even though it can be rough on the back, snow shoveling is very good exercise as well. I'm very active with work outdoors during the other 3 seasons, but in winter I get very little exercise. So I look forward to snow is the winter, so I can get a little exercise. I would never imagine of getting a snowblower, as long as I'm healthy.

I thought so too at 30. At 51 shoveling can throw my back out for weeks, and that means being unable to go to work. And that's the least of it. Even the snow blower s rough on me, I have a bad arm too. In fact, I'm considering getting a plow.

Not sure I'm buying Mt. Holly's recent comments that we might still get 1-3" along I-95.  Radar looks pretty bad right now, although I guess those bands in SJ might swing up here - looks like they'll stay well to the SE of the NJ Turnpike, though...

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

WE HAVE REMOVED THE WINTER STORM WARNING FROM THE COUNTIES OF

BERKS, LEHIGH, NORTHAMPTON AND WARREN. WE HAVE REMOVED THE WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FROM THE COUNTIES OF CARBON, MONROE AND SUSSEX

(NEW JERSEY).

A BAND OF MODERATE SNOWFALL REMAINED JUST TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE

INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR AT 930 PM. THE SNOWFALL RATES IN THE BAND

ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH GRADUALLY OVERNIGHT AS IT DRIFTS

SOUTHEASTWARD AND AS IT LOSES ITS UPPER LEVEL SUPPORT.

MEANWHILE, AN AREA OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL WAS LOCATED OVER

SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA AND VICINITY. THE PRECIPITATION WAS OUT

AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING MID LEVEL SHORT WAVE TROUGH. THE MODERATE

TO HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL CONTINUE TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND IT

SHOULD IMPACT PARTS OF SOUTHERN DELAWARE AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY

DURING THE NIGHT.

WHILE THE BULK OF THE SNOW TOTALS HAVE ALREADY FALLEN IN MOST

PLACES, EXCEPT FOR OUR SOUTHEASTERN COUNTIES, ADDITIONAL SNOW WILL

FALL DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS. THE BACK EDGE OF THE SNOW

SHOULD NOT REACH THE COAST UNTIL AROUND DAYBREAK.

THE SNOW HAS ENDED IN THE POCONOS AND IT WILL END SHORTLY IN

BERKS COUNTY, THE LEHIGH VALLEY AND NORTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY.

ANOTHER 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE ALONG AND NEAR THE

INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR. AGAIN, OUR SOUTHEASTERN COUNTIES WILL PICK

UP THE BULK OF THEIR SNOWFALL OVERNIGHT WITH TOTALS IN THE 4 TO 8

INCH RANGE.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

its over

its over

For you. :-( Just curios, in your post they mention the southeastern sections receiving most of their snowfall overnight? Is this the same for Long Island as the storm pull away? The point and click forecast for my area (Copiague in SWestern Suffolk) says total overnight snowfall is 6-10 inches. Do they mean on top of what we have already? Because we are doing pretty well already!

I thought so too at 30. At 51 shoveling can throw my back out for weeks, and that means being unable to go to work. And that's the least of it. Even the snow blower s rough on me, I have a bad arm too. In fact, I'm considering getting a plow.

For people with health problems like a bad back, getting a snowblower is completely understandable. I would too if I had those problems. But as long as I don't have problems, I prefer to shovel to get the cardio exercise.

For people with health problems like a bad back, getting a snowblower is completely understandable. I would too if I had those problems. But as long as I don't have problems, I prefer to shovel to get the cardio exercise.

I think you can use a leaf blower for this stuff...not our typical snow here that's for sure

Archived