• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

We got directly hit with that intense banding. BTW, the surrounding areas have similar reports. The snow is up to the entire ride height of every car. Also, Stamford, CT missed out on that band that dumped 2"+/hr snowfall rates over here.

Taking the metro north and looking out the window seemed like the most snow was just south of bronxville...maybe about a foot and this was a couple of hrs ago so I believe it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That band hit us this evening...Mount Vernon is like 20 miles southwest of here in the same orientation of that band..You mean to tell me you have as much or more than areas in Central NJ that got blasted by 3"/hr rates this morning?

We're pretty close. It may actually be 14" of snow (in account of the drifts). 

Well that dissipated quickly, I thought we would see light to moderate snow till midnight at least.

The storm came in earlier than expected, so it's not surprising that it's ending earlier than expected as well. Warlock mentiond that Frank Lombardo said that the accumulating snow would end around 9pm. A couple people criticized that, but it looks as if he was right on the money. No complaints ... I'm very happy with my 9 inches. It's around what I was expecting.

The storm came in earlier than expected, so it's not surprising that it's ending earlier than expected as well. Warlock mentiond that Frank Lombardo said that the accumulating snow would end around 9pm. A couple people criticized that, but it looks as if he was right on the money. No complaints ... I'm very happy with my 9 inches. It's around what I was expecting.

Gotta give him credit....I haven't listened to CTC in ages but it used to be the place for Central NJ news and weather; in the 70's it was where they announced local school closings.

Lombardo scored a coup there...looks like 8-12 in the counties of Middlesex and Somerset

Gotta give him credit....I haven't listened to CTC in ages but it used to be the place for Central NJ news and weather; in the 70's it was where they announced local school closings.

I grew up on those school closings...waiting and waiting for Hillsborough to be called. They still do them now but I assume everyone just gets a text or sees it on the computer

I grew up on those school closings...waiting and waiting for Hillsborough to be called. They still do them now but I assume everyone just gets a text or sees it on the computer

the districts have systems that call your cell, home phone, email, every thing. we knew woodbridge was closed early this evening. had they known it would be over this early, we might have had a delay. problem is getting all the sidewalks and parking lots cleaned in time.

the districts have systems that call your cell, home phone, email, every thing. we knew woodbridge was closed early this evening. had they known it would be over this early, we might have had a delay. problem is getting all the sidewalks and parking lots cleaned in time.

I remember listening out the window for the sirens

When reviewing the snowfall totals for Long Island on the NWS site the past few years, I've noticed that on certain big events Massapequa or North Massapequa comes in with a big number late in the game, bigger than surrounding towns.  Earlier there was a 3.7" report at I believe 3:30 or so.  They're not on the board right now in the latest report, but look for a big number to show up by morning.

Archived