Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of Maryland is getting crushed right now. Looks like echoes moving NW and getting stronger. 

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Not that the RGEM is the best model but this is the best image to illustrate..  The banding after contracting last morning is expected to expand back into east central PA from around 3-6pm.  This is when we might get another burst of decent snowfall in the MDT area and points northeast.  You can see from the sim radar how it predicted the heavy snows would contract for a time before reforming.  We will see but this is not unexpected.  Look at the loop on the link and you can see what I am talking about. 

The snow and wind has really picked up in Camp Hill.  CTP indirectly mentioned the lull in their 11:35 discussion.

FIRST PULSE OF STRONG LOW-MID LEVEL FGEN FORCING IS SLIDING JUST
EAST OF THE LOWER SUSQ VALLEY...WHILE ANOTHER AREA WILL BE FORMING/
ADVECTING INTO THAT SAME ARE FROM NEAR THE I-81 CORRIDOR IN NRN
VA.

A couple nice features of the RadarScope app I enjoy during snow storms are the Enhanced Echo Tops and Hi-Res Vertical Intregrated Liquid features.  I find they give me some lead time over radar refelections in figuring out where banding will set up as well as issues with dry air.  Here are 4 screen shots I took as an example.

post-4667-0-34451800-1390330133_thumb.pn

post-4667-0-88544300-1390330146_thumb.pn

post-4667-0-25604300-1390330163_thumb.pn

post-4667-0-45139600-1390330173_thumb.pn

Snowing so lightly out that it looks more like a light rainy drizzle. The sun I showed in the pic a few minutes ago is much brighter and so pronounced now that there are slight shadows from my fence posts. Seriously...wtf happened?

Too much dry air. Since your in the east maybe you can squeeze out another few inches. If your N and W o I-81 looks like the snow event is mostly over.   

Snowing so lightly out that it looks more like a light rainy drizzle. The sun I showed in the pic a few minutes ago is much brighter and so pronounced now that there are slight shadows from my fence posts. Seriously...wtf happened?

If you look at regional radar, the snow is expanding to your south. Hard to say if it makes it up your way. 

Archived