joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you live SE of I-81 & I-78, the radar trends are encouraging. First, our low pressure center is clearly visible on vis satellite imagery, moving through North Carolina. (see animation: http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/satellite/displaySat.php?region=BWI&isingle=multiple&itype=vis)

post-5336-0-84951900-1390334257_thumb.pn

As we watch the low center curve up the coast, we'll also see our snow bands orienting themselves north to south. We are already seeing that if you look at the LWX imagery on loop. Lancaster, York, and even Harrisburg could get clipped by the incoming band down in Maryland with 1-1.5"/hr snow rates.

post-5336-0-17650400-1390334377_thumb.pn

Can't forget the developing band near I-81, which may be the last "hurrah" from this system around here. All in all, good trends for the southeast tier of this forum. I'm going out for a measure soon, but it's tough to say exactly what we have seen because of the blowing/drifting. Eyeballing 3-4" in Lancaster.

Precip getting ready to shut off for good back this way, Looks like Harrisburg and the rest of the LSV are going to be under the gun just in time for the evening rush. 

Yeah last gasp up here.  Enough to ensure I don't have to look at brown grass as we struggle to break 10° tomorrow.

Ya radar been useless today. When it showed heavy snow it was light and when it showed light it was heavy. 

Hasn't been useless in my location. It shows no snow and we have....no snow.

Dry air should end this for everyone except York/Lancaster folks. This is certainly and York/Lancaster kinda year.

I knew I shouldn't have bought into the north trends. I have to admit though. When the GFS and NAM both showed 6 inches s for my area this morning, I thought we had a chance.

Tough to measure, but after taking numerous measurements in decent spots around campus, I got an average of 6" here in Millersville with Mod/heavy snow. I think double digits looks very attainable. The banding in MD is pivoting on an axis becoming more N/S oriented and could blast areas of York on east for a good period. Will be a blast to watch happen

Archived