amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banding structures beginning to organize as our surface low undergoes cyclogenesis to our south. Most hi-res models keep the best banding in SE PA, but current radar out of LWX shows the strongest band in Maryland. We should be able to see some deform bands forming in SC and SE PA soon!

PS - 1.5" and counting here in Lancaster. As Eastern said, it's incredibly fluffy and flying around with a breath of wind.

post-5336-0-74478900-1390318849_thumb.jp

Banding structures beginning to organize as our surface low undergoes cyclogenesis to our south. Most hi-res models keep the best banding in SE PA, but current radar out of LWX shows the strongest band in Maryland. We should be able to see some deform bands forming in SC and SE PA soon!

PS - 1.5" and counting here in Lancaster. As Eastern said, it's incredibly fluffy and flying around with a breath of wind.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Do you think MDT has any shot at getting in on those heavier bands? Doesn't seem like it wants to make it quite this far NW.

Do you think MDT has any shot at getting in on those heavier bands? Doesn't seem like it wants to make it quite this far NW.

The best omega values will likely be down to the southeast of MDT, so a "death band", probably not. However, some outlier deform bands could certainly develop around there during the late morning/early afternoon.

guys and gals. just so you all know, for the next 18-24 hours, starting with the upcoming run, you're getting some extra ensemble model help from out here. John Wetter, who runs the hopwrf ensemble shifted it to the east coast.

see hopwrf.info for more details. first run for you guys comes out in less than an hour, i think, based off the 12z runs.

We have hopped! This domain will be in place starting with the 12Z runs (available around 10 AM). #northeastsnow http://ow.ly/i/4lOAs

Good morning everyone.  Looks like Cumberland county won't be in the screw zone this event...lol.  Just before 11am there's a nice band of 20 to 25 dbz's parked just to my west.  It's been snowing heavily with the "fine" flakes for a good few hours now and it's looking like close to 2" here so far.  Temp has been holding steady for quite a few hours just a tad below 22 degrees.

You had to like the spc map out earlier this morning.  It's always special (no pun intended) when you find yourself inside the curly cue circle(s).  I think it's going to be about as wintry as it gets in these parts later today and tonight once the winds pick up and temps drop into the single digits and blowing snow is everywhere.

Regardless of how much here I do sincerely send good wishes to the DC crew for as much as possible from this storm.  Despite all of our occasional ranting they really have had a bad stretch of no significant storms. 

Good morning everyone.  Looks like Cumberland county won't be in the screw zone this event...lol.  Just before 11am there's a nice band of 20 to 25 dbz's parked just to my west.  It's been snowing heavily with the "fine" flakes for a good few hours now and it's looking like close to 2" here so far.  Temp has been holding steady for quite a few hours just a tad below 22 degrees.

You had to like the spc map out earlier this morning.  It's always special (no pun intended) when you find yourself inside the curly cue circle(s).  I think it's going to be about as wintry as it gets in these parts later today and tonight once the winds pick up and temps drop into the single digits and blowing snow is everywhere.

Regardless of how much here I do sincerely send good wishes to the DC crew for as much as possible from this storm.  Despite all of our occasional ranting they really have had a bad stretch of no significant storms. 

I am at 22 degrees and 2" at 11am just north of Enola/81

the accident on 11/15 is just north of where it meets up with 22/322 fyi

guys and gals. just so you all know, for the next 18-24 hours, starting with the upcoming run, you're getting some extra ensemble model help from out here. John Wetter, who runs the hopwrf ensemble shifted it to the east coast.

see hopwrf.info for more details. first run for you guys comes out in less than an hour, i think, based off the 12z runs.

Jim thanks for the heads up!!

AllWeather good updates....thanks!!

FROM Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency:

Adams County Department of Emergency Services is requesting residents within a one half mile radius of the Knouse Foods Plant in Orrtanna to shelter-in-place until further notice.  This is a precautionary measure because of a tractor trailer fire involving insulation material which is a potential respiratory irritant.

You received this message because you registered on AlertPA.  To change your alerting preferences go to https://alert.pa.gov/mygroups.php

Tell a friend/co-worker about AlertPA! Forward this message to them and have them register for this free service at https://alert.pa.gov/

Snow has picked back up in Bellefonte after a bit of a lull. Nicer flakes too.  I'm trying not to have too many radar hallucinations...things look ok for us here for awhile if the dry air doesn't shut it down. Some weird echoes moving SSW on the CCX radar...something to do with the lower level cold air I assume.

Archived