amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow has picked back up in Bellefonte after a bit of a lull. Nicer flakes too.  I'm trying not to have too many radar hallucinations...things look ok for us here for awhile if the dry air doesn't shut it down. Some weird echoes moving SSW on the CCX radar...something to do with the lower level cold air I assume.

Yeah, noticed those odd things.

And that damn band is just sitting there down just north of the Turnpike. Wow. 

I'm up 7 stories so have no idea how much we have so far - what was your latest measurement? Roads are pretty OK here - Locust isn't even completely snow covered (it has clear tire tracks). Front Street just looks wet.

I have about 2.25" at the house... has been fairly light for the past hour

3" at Millersville University at 1145am just south and west of Lancaster.

Bands developing to the south and west should keep expanding up in this direction as the storm really starts to take shape over the next several hours. Last storm in early January had impressive back building from Harrisburg that rotated and then consolidated with other bands to nail York and southern Lancaster county. I expect a very nice band to form from Carlisle to the east up toward Harrisburg. As the storm moves off to the NNE and commences rapid cyclogenesis, this band will move off to the east then pivot as the storm goes negative slamming areas from Harrisburg down toward York and Pa line on east till the bulk of the system moves out. Along the line in MD, people are already reporting close to 5" as of 11am, so I would expect anyone near the line to cross double digits if said band does develop. I'm sticking with my 8-12" call I had last night from Millersville. Great storm to watch unfold

tractor trailer overturned on i-81 at mile marker 65... http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district8.nsf/TCI81atUS11and15?openpage

Freaking 18 wheeler is overturned on the 81 bridge.

No injuries

edit: sounds like a milk tanker, which is empty. will affect traffic coming on at 11&15 to North 81

From CTP:

ALTHOUGH THERE IS AN UNSETTLING
WIDE RANGE IN THE 03Z SREF PLUMES FOR KLNS /WITH LEQ PRECIP RANGING
FROM 0.05 TO 1.25 INCHES :lmao:
 / AS LATE AS THE 03Z AND 09Z RUNS /WHICH IS

IN THE HEART OF OUR WINT STORM WARNING/...OPERATIONAL AND ENSEMBLE
MEAN QPF ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT FOR FOR BTWN 0.5 AND 0.75 INCHES
ACROSS PARTS OF YORK/LANCASTER COUNTIES.

We are rocking now! Looking at the Lancaster Airport observations, visibility has been 1/4 mile for the last 4 readings. Work just closing down now (in Lancaster) and I will be heading to Lititz.

Archived